Brewer Fanatic

Patrick Corbin

NOMAAM

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What type of deal do we think it would take to get him from AZ? Does he just have two years left before F/A?

One year so FA in 2019. They can't take on any salary. So I assume it would be prospects in the lower levels.

Corbin has often struggled against right handers, especially after people saw him pitch a while. To me he's nothing more than a #5 guy - if that.

I live in Arizona and have been watching him for years.

I agree 100% with reillymcshane. #5 guy at best. Pass.

Our 4 last year was some suter, mostly garza and first taste of the bigs woodruff

Our 5 last year was peralta guerra espino and a bit of garza.

If he comes for little by way of prospects this is a no brainer. Call him a 5 all you want but he's a 4era guy with upside. Flip possible if he has a strong contract year. Stop gap to nelson burnes. Still leaves a spot to sort out suter guerra wilkerson.

Anderson davies corbin woodruff is solid. We miss nelson but the back end of the rotation would struggle to be worse.

• 1 month later...

https://www.fanragsports.com/inside-baseball-mlb-notes-are-the-brewers-done-dealing/

Heyman notes here "The Diamondbacks have talked to many teams about Patrick Corbin, including the Brewers."

Also noted in the article, "At one point they had extensive talks with the D-Backs about Patrick Corbin."

Maybe they want Santana to replace Martinez?

I guess I don't see the want with a guy like Corbin. I think I'd rather just start Hader or Suter.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I guess I don't see the want with a guy like Corbin. I think I'd rather just start Hader or Suter.

It's definitely worth looking at to see the cost. Santana for Corbin isn't close, it's just not happening. Maybe Broxton+ for Corbin? Or who knows what they'd want. But Corbin isn't straight bad, he's a solid pitcher...probably a #3/4 that would slot in around Anderson/Davies in a rotation.

Depending on how you stack him up with Davies, Corbin would have been the Brewers' 3rd or 4th best pitcher last year. Is that reason enough to trade Santana for him? Absolutely not. But, if the Dbacks actually do want to trade him for a need elsewhere, Corbin would add some depth and left-handed diversity to the rotation (assuming Hader does indeed stay in the pen).

The Dbacks seem to be short on middle infielders and corner outfielders. Maybe Broxton and Villar get it done? That seems light to me, but who knows.

I chalk the Heyman report up to word getting out on one of the many different trade avenues Stearns explored in the past few months. The bold moves yesterday don't jive well with going after a 1 year rental of a #3 or #4 starter. I imagine Corbin was a potential move resting on a side burner somewhere. Say for instance Chacin didn't sign. Or maybe in the event Woodruff goes in a package for an upper rotation starter. Which I guess could still happen.

Maybe Santana, Wooddruff, + for a #1 starter and then they swing another deal to add Corbin?

He is getting paid $15M for 2018 and poof he would be gone. This is more like salary dump for the Diamondbacks so they can sign someone better. I don't think the Brewers want to help with that.

And that $15M might be enough to stop the Brewers from signing someone like Cobb.

With that in mind I think the Brewers offer a negative deal... We will take Corbin if you pay for us upgrading our spring training facility in your lousy State and no you we won't sell you any water either!

Somewhat surprisingly to me, Corbin has allowed the Brewers to hit .314/.390/.445 when he's on the mound. That Brewers 835 OPS is the highest mark off of Corbin by any National League club. I say it surprises me because I seem to remember him pitching well against Milwaukee - apparently not.

Regardless, he would be a solid get, even though he'd only be around for a year.

This kind of makes sense as a salary dump. The Dbacks were looking to get rid of Greinke to save money but maybe they will do the easier trade and get rid of Corbin. Getting him would give our pitching prospects another year to take over his spot.

I would not give much at all to acquire him however.

He is getting paid $15M for 2018 and poof he would be gone. This is more like salary dump for the Diamondbacks so they can sign someone better. I don't think the Brewers want to help with that.

And that $15M might be enough to stop the Brewers from signing someone like Cobb.

With that in mind I think the Brewers offer a negative deal... We will take Corbin if you pay for us upgrading our spring training facility in your lousy State and no you we won't sell you any water either!

Where's the $15M number coming from? I see him at $7.5M.

I don't want him either way though.

Where's the $15M number coming from? I see him at $7.5M.

I don't want him either way though.

He signed for $15 million to avoid arbitration. He fits perfectly in Milwaukee. If he had a good year, give him a QO and get a draft pick. Santana would be too much but it's not like the Brewers don't have spare parts they could deal. Broxton, Villar, even Suter to name a few.

Archived