Brewer Fanatic

Jesse Chavez

JosephC

If we don't go big on Lynn, Arrieta, Cobb, Darvish, I do think this is the level we should look to. Basically everyone on the next tier can be replaced by a Suter/Wilkerson/Guerra mix-and-match combo in my opinion.

If we want to go big and upgrade with an overpaid #2 starter, sign me up. I see no use in throwing 2 years/$15 million at Cashner to be #5 starter depth because I'm no more confident in him than I am in our 4 or 5 options in AAA/long relief to fill the bottom of the rotation that we currently have.

If that's the case, sure, give Chavez a $2 million deal to be a second swingman with Suter.

If we don't go big on Lynn, Arrieta, Cobb, Darvish, I do think this is the level we should look to. Basically everyone on the next tier can be replaced by a Suter/Wilkerson/Guerra mix-and-match combo in my opinion.

If we want to go big and upgrade with an overpaid #2 starter, sign me up. I see no use in throwing 2 years/$15 million at Cashner to be #5 starter depth because I'm no more confident in him than I am in our 4 or 5 options in AAA/long relief to fill the bottom of the rotation that we currently have.

If that's the case, sure, give Chavez a $2 million deal to be a second swingman with Suter.

There's no reason to be scavenging at the bottom level of FA pitchers until late January. You only overpay signing guys like Chavez now. Especially before you see if you can get a quality guy in a deal. There's a level between the high end guys and Chavez. Heck if you want to shop at that level, why not bring back Yo? At least he was good at one time.

There's no reason to be scavenging at the bottom level of FA pitchers until late January. You only overpay signing guys like Chavez now. Especially before you see if you can get a quality guy in a deal. There's a level between the high end guys and Chavez. Heck if you want to shop at that level, why not bring back Yo? At least he was good at one time.

Yeah, I agree with what you're saying in terms of what you'd give to Chavez and I'm not saying Chavez is the guy...but I do think that we should be scavenging in the dumpster if we don't get a big name. The tier I do not want to touch unless they come on 1-year deals is the Cashner, Vargas, Chacin level of pitcher.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Chavez is fodder at this point of his career. His ability to slide between relieving and starting has been a nice plus to teams - but he's just not that good anymore. We have enough back end types that I'd rather see get the ball (Wilkerson, for instance).

The other thing is that if you hand the guy a major league deal, the club almost feels compelled to keep him for an extended time - even if he stinks.

Archived