Brewer Fanatic

Relief Pitching Targets

I went through the list of available RP FA, there are 16 guys left that I would like to see the Brewers sign. 9 guys were signed that could have been potential options. Pitchers like Duensing, Watson, Cishek, Reed, Rondon, Benoit, Kintzler, Storen...all still available. There are others that I didn't list, but I really hope we get 1 arm from that group or a similar caliber arm via trade.

I wonder what a reunion with Zach Duke would cost. He came back from TJ last year and was pretty marginal, but maybe he can reclaim his old form. I don't have a good gauge on what his market value is and whether he'd merit that value, but off hand seems like a guy who could be a bargain.

Hey Feliz is out there. Seriously, those of you wanting to give Villar another chance, the same logic applies to Feliz does in not? He was better with the Royals, and was really good in 2016. He'll be a lot cheaper now too!

Great point. Especially coming from someone who wanted to non-tender Villar after his bad season but LOVES Dee Gordon and Panik - calling Panik an AS caliber player just the other day - even after their brutal 2015/2016 seasons

I wonder what a reunion with Zach Duke would cost. He came back from TJ last year and was pretty marginal, but maybe he can reclaim his old form. I don't have a good gauge on what his market value is and whether he'd merit that value, but off hand seems like a guy who could be a bargain.

I would be all in on a 1/4 type deal for duke. He's the lefty I'm hoping we get, with his delivery he's very tough on lefties. We SHOULD have a good enough bullpen as to not need to count on him to face a ton of rh hitters like his last tour with us.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Hey Feliz is out there. Seriously, those of you wanting to give Villar another chance, the same logic applies to Feliz does in not?

No it doesn't. Not even close.

Why a team gives one player a chance and not another is determined by many, many factors. To say someone who wants to give Villar another chance should be willing to give Feliz another chance actually defies logic.

I went through the list of available RP FA, there are 16 guys left that I would like to see the Brewers sign. 9 guys were signed that could have been potential options. Pitchers like Duensing, Watson, Cishek, Reed, Rondon, Benoit, Kintzler, Storen...all still available. There are others that I didn't list, but I really hope we get 1 arm from that group or a similar caliber arm via trade.

In that list, it has to be Tony Watson as a perfect set up man for Kneble. He's been doing that most of his career and now has some saves behind him in the worse case scenario that Kneble were injured to boot. 70 IP durability for a backend career seems great to add.

In that list, it has to be Tony Watson as a perfect set up man for Kneble. He's been doing that most of his career and now has some saves behind him in the worse case scenario that Kneble were injured to boot. 70 IP durability for a backend career seems great to add.

Watson is part of that group, though that group shrunk to 13 overnight. Demand > supply on relievers...

And Cishek gone... To Cubs.

OMG, come on David!!

You better be getting us Reed then!

Stearns is quoted as saying he's not going to pay the going rate for quality relievers: "Stearns confirmed he made a two year offer to Swarzak but didn't want to guarantee that much money" Swarzak's deal was reasonable compared to the others of quality out there.

Brewers refusal to pay going rate for players when they have one of the lowest payrolls in baseball is an ominous sign. What does he think some prime reliever is going to get overlooked and fall into their laps? That's how you end up with Neftali Feliz. Sure there's plenty of names still out there. Guys like Craig Stammen, Matt Belisle, Tyler Clippard, Drew Storen, Romo etc. But most of those guy are past their primes. Somebody even mentioned Zach Duke. Really? Why not bring back Feliz too.

And Cishek gone... To Cubs.

OMG, come on David!!

You better be getting us Reed then!

Stearns is quoted as saying he's not going to pay the going rate for quality relievers: "Stearns confirmed he made a two year offer to Swarzak but didn't want to guarantee that much money" Swarzak's deal was reasonable compared to the others of quality out there.

Brewers refusal to pay going rate for players when they have one of the lowest payrolls in baseball is an ominous sign. What does he think some prime reliever is going to get overlooked and fall into their laps? That's how you end up with Neftali Feliz. Sure there's plenty of names still out there. Guys like Craig Stammen, Matt Belisle, Tyler Clippard, Drew Storen, Romo etc. But most of those guy are past their primes. Somebody even mentioned Zach Duke. Really? Why not bring back Feliz too.

That was me on Zach Duke. I'm not saying to bring him in as a setup guy, I still want one of the higher end relievers below the Davis/Holland tier. But he'd be a reasonable lefty to bring in to help fill middle innings or face Votto/Rizzo late in the game. He's been pretty good the last few years, had some arm issues last year but he's still been pretty effective. I would like to think we can get him on a one year deal.

That was me, and yes really. Comparing him to Feliz is apples to oranges. While not a true LOOGY he is a situational lefty to some degree which is a need, especially if Hader moves to starting (which is my preference.) Duke has remained effective, but had TJ surgery in 2016. He came back last year and despite a jump in ERA his peripherals were solid enough. There's reason to believe he would be effective in 2018 and probably could be signed to a reasonable 1 year deal. The thread title was Relief Pitching Targets and I could certainly see him as a viable one.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like the Brewers may still have some interest in at least one remaining bullpen option (h/t to Mass Haas for digging this one up on Twitter):

@StullySTL: Hearing that Seung Hwan Oh is healthy and has had some interest from a handful of teams--including the #Cubs and #Brewers
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Milwaukee Brewers among handful of teams with interest in Seung-hwan Oh, per report

The first year was amazing, last year, not so much. Still good to see us kicking the tires on all possibilities and could be a good pickup for the Crew. I do find it interesting that the Brewers are in the mix with pretty much any free agent the Cubs/Cardinals are in on.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Sounds like the Brewers may still have some interest in at least one remaining bullpen option (h/t to Mass Haas for digging this one up on Twitter):

@StullySTL: Hearing that Seung Hwan Oh is healthy and has had some interest from a handful of teams--including the #Cubs and #Brewers

Awesome, I was hoping we would be interested in Oh!

Knebel

Hader

Oh

Barnes

Logan

Jeffress

One of Gallardo/Guerra/Williams/Suter

Hell yes!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived