Brewer Fanatic

Relief Pitching Targets

Would prefer cishek at that price. More consistent track record... not as old. Phi buying trade chips, annoying.

I'd also love Jake Mcgee. He's been knocked down a peg by coors and his numbers outside there are awesome.

Knebel cishek hader mcgee jeffress suter

With 1 spot for barnes getting 1st crack, williams 2nd, houser 3rd, then giving it to Fperalta if they all stumble before august. It's about all you can ask for in a pen. Post season knebel cishek hader mcgee fperalta could be deadly.

Would prefer cishek at that price. More consistent track record... not as old. Phi buying trade chips, annoying.

I'm not sure. They probably will never catch the Nats, but this is the beginning of the Phillies window. I'm not sure they're buying trade chips anymore. I guess this might be the last year if it doesn't get off to a great start that they'd be selling, but the wins should keep going in the up direction and they should be competing for a playoff spot by 2019.

Due to Swarzak's lack of track record, I think he'll get less than Neshak. Maybe more years, but not as much per year. Maybe $6-7M annually for 2-3 years.

Just my guess.

Btw... am I the only one who looks at swazak and goes, yeah had a great year but uh he's been very bad prior to that. I would have him on the wish list of adds but quite a ways lower than I hope to go.

Due to Swarzak's lack of track record, I think he'll get less than Neshak. Maybe more years, but not as much per year. Maybe $6-7M annually for 2-3 years.

Just my guess.

Btw... am I the only one who looks at swazak and goes, yeah had a great year but uh he's been very bad prior to that. I would have him on the wish list of adds but quite a ways lower than I hope to go.

Swarzak has made measurable changes to his pitch selection, and his stuff has generally improved in the bullpen. Maybe the league will adjust to his adjustments, maybe not. But right now he's a quality reliever.

Hey Feliz is out there. Seriously, those of you wanting to give Villar another chance, the same logic applies to Feliz does in not? He was better with the Royals, and was really good in 2016. He'll be a lot cheaper now too!

And here is why people get upset with you. You've done a great job proving everyone's point.

But with your point, if they could get him for ultra cheap or an invite to camp... sign me up. Ya just never know with relievers.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Hey Feliz is out there. Seriously, those of you wanting to give Villar another chance, the same logic applies to Feliz does in not? He was better with the Royals, and was really good in 2016. He'll be a lot cheaper now too!

And here is why people get upset with you. You've done a great job proving everyone's point.

But with your point, if they could get him for ultra cheap or an invite to camp... sign me up. Ya just never know with relievers.

Yep, perhaps Feliz could be a decent middle-innings reliever. If you strike out with Swarsak or some of the other high-priced relievers out there, why not? It would have to be a minor league deal with Spring Training invite. Same with KRod. Never know when you're going to catch lightning in a bottle ... especially with relievers.

I would absolutely offer Feliz a minor league deal for <$1M with an invite to camp. If he's great, he makes the team. If he's ok, maybe he makes the end of the bullpen. If he bombs, he goes to AAA or is released.

This is the same deal for Villar. His salary is <$1M ~$3M (more than I thought but still inexpensive). He will be at camp to earn a place on the team. If he's great, he will be the starting 2B. If he's ok, maybe he makes the bench while Sogard/Perez/FA signing starts. If he bombs, he's traded, released or DFA.

My preferred targets were Anthony Swarzak and Tommy Hunter but so far the free agent guesses for relievers seem to have been about 20%-25% low (based on Neshek and Morrow). If relief pitchers keep going at these types of rates, Swarzak is probably in line for a 2 year, 17 million dollar deal and Hunter would be at something like 2 years, 14.5 million. I'd probably still go with Hunter at that rate but I don't know if Swarzak has the track record to justify that type of deal when talking about a small-market team.

I'm starting to think my primary targets now would be Tommy Hunter and Kelvin Herrera (trade). I also really like the Hector Rondon suggestion but would prefer to only be at one year on him.

Archived