Brewer Fanatic

Matt Harvey

DR28

Sure, if they pick up 80% of his salary and take mid to lower prospects in return. If not, not thanks.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Sure, if they pick up 80% of his salary and take mid to lower prospects in return. If not, not thanks.

Harvey is projected to be due $6 million for 1 season. He's not someone I'd bother taking a risk on given that we'd lose him anyways if he did get back to his old self this year, but it's not like we'd be taking on Jordan Zimmermann here.

If the Mets were giving Harvey away for a bag of baseballs and we had to pay $6 million for him, though...sign me up. And that's coming from someone who thinks as stated above that he's probably gone anyways after 2018 if it goes well for him. I'd pay that money to find out if he gets his velocity back in a contract year.

Harvey is projected to be due $6 million for 1 season. He's not someone I'd bother taking a risk on given that we'd lose him anyways if he did get back to his old self this year, but it's not like we'd be taking on Jordan Zimmermann here.

If the Mets were giving Harvey away for a bag of baseballs and we had to pay $6 million for him, though...sign me up. And that's coming from someone who thinks as stated above that he's probably gone anyways after 2018 if it goes well for him. I'd pay that money to find out if he gets his velocity back in a contract year.

Brewers get: Harvey, $4million, and Wilmer Florez's tears

Mets get: Clint Coulter

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I can't believe how bad Harvey was last year. 6.70 ERA (and a 6.37 FIP to back it up).

The merits of Harvey aside, with only one year of control left, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy for this team. At least not the kind of guy if he costs anything to acquire. If the club has scouted the, looked at video, and felt they could 'fix' his issues - then he might work as a one year stopgap while Nelson recovers. But I'm not giving up anything much of value for him. Paying his salary is enough of a trade off.

Brewers get: Harvey, $4million, and Wilmer Florez's tears

Mets get: Clint Coulter

All jokes aside about Flores, if the Mets would trade Harvey and $4 million for Coulter, I do it. Harvey desperately needs out of the New York limelight and I would be willing to take a $2 million risk that he may be able to turn it around in Milwaukee.

Unless the Brewers plan on signing Arrieta or Darvish, I'd take a $6 million risk on Harvey. I'm not sure why we're worried about chopping Harvey's contract down in trade proposals when our payroll even with a few relievers signed will probably be somewhere around $75-80 million.

Again, I'm not looking to trade for him and I realize this discussion has gone off the rails, I'm just saying that Harvey is not someone that we should be worrying about the contract of.

$6 million is par for the course for a #5 starter, much less one that has the ability to figure out his old stuff and become an ace.

Wily Peralta Clone.

That scientist should be fired. Matt Harvey has a career k-BB% of 17%. Wily Peralta has never been over 11.1% any season. They aren't similar players outside of both were awful last season.

I have major doubts regarding the future of Harvey but it might not be a bad option for Stearns. It's pretty likely the Brewers will have to gamble to fill one rotation spot in the current market and, depending on the price, Harvey might not be that bad of a gamble. Terrible in 2017, but in 2015-2016 he had a 3.41 ERA, 3.19 FIP, 1.17 WHIP, 4.26 K/BB ratio and 113 ERA+. Doubt if he could get back to that but if the investment was right Stearns might be happy to get a low to mid 4's ERA out of him which would be pretty good. If he has health issues again, hopefully he could at least get through the first half of the year and then maybe Burnes might be ready.

Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports hears that the Mets and Rangers have discussed a Matt Harvey-for-Jurickson Profar swap.

Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News speculated on a potential match early Monday morning while Mike Puma of the New York Post reported Monday afternoon that the two sides were talking. It would be the ultimate change-of-scenery deal, as Harvey has seen his career go off course over the past two years due to injury and there's no clear spot for Profar on the Rangers' roster. Heyman notes that there's "nothing firm" between the two sides, but they at least discussed the scenario. Harvey is due to become a free agent after 2018 while Profar still has three years of team control remaining.

Source: Jon Heyman on TwitterDec 11 - 3:41 P

If Profar is up for grabs, he seems like a decent guy to take a risk on if it doesn't cost us much in prospects.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

About all I would give up for Matt Harvey is a framed pic of Wendy Selig-Prieb and an autographed baseball of Bill Spiers. One of those mass produced stamped ones.

If our beloved Brewerfan were facebook, this post would gotten a like! I haven't laughed that hard in a while. Very nice.

if its just a salary dump, and NYM would like a lower level not elite prospect back or a older player like Orf who doesn't figure in the long term plans, fine. No I'm not giving up on Villar for Harvey.

Harvey is only projected at $6 million this year. The Mets have weird owners but I can’t imagine this salary being a huge deal to get off their hands. They’ll need [some] value in return.

• 4 months later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Well, Harvey has been DFA'd. Is it worth it for a contending team to pick up a total reclamation project? Harvey has been very bad, but if Derek Johnson could work his magic, it may not be a bad deal.

But then there's a matter that Harvey seems to be refusing to go to the minors .... hmm.

Well, Harvey has been DFA'd. Is it worth it for a contending team to pick up a total reclamation project? Harvey has been very bad, but if Derek Johnson could work his magic, it may not be a bad deal.

But then there's a matter that Harvey seems to be refusing to go to the minors .... hmm.

The Brewers will be bringing back Knebel and Logan soon, so there will already be tough decisions to be made. Add in Nelson in the near future, and there will be a talented player that gets demoted/traded. Harvey, with his baggage included, is not worth taking up a roster spot at this point IMO.

Archived