Brewer Fanatic

Trammel and Morris get the Hall call

DuWayne Steurer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21732811/jack-morris-alan-trammell-elected-baseball-hall-fame-modern-era-committee

I'm somewhat "meh" on Trammel. I never thought he was going to (or should) make it over the hump, but there are credible arguments for him to be included. I feel like Trammel's case is at least debatable, whereas Jack Morris was just a durable dude who pitched a long time, and often on good teams, so he racked up a lot of wins. A career ERA+ of 105, and he just happened to throw an awesome game in WS game 7.... that's what people remember. I'm not saying longevity shouldn't count, but Morris was never a dominator like a Clemens or a Randy Johnson or that type. Just not sure I like the door this is opening.

Morris has a unique resume for the era he pitched in. I used to get worked up about the HOF and inductions, etc. I still love the place, but Jack Morris being there isn't a big deal to me either way.

Trammell is certainly deserving, too.

I don't understand how Ted Simmons and Marvin Miller didn't get in. With Simmons, maybe I'm just being a homer, but Miller changed the game in an enormous way. Seems like the management side is holding old grudges.

Trammell should've been a first ballot guy, glad he's in.

He was the 2nd best SS during his career, just happened to play in the shadow of Ripken. His best 5 seasons are amazing.

He raises the standards of the Hall.

Morris is on the short list of worst guys voted in ever.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

RoCo - even though I didn't grow up watching baseball, I remember the days of Ripken Jr, Trammel, Smith and Fernández. For me, those were the golden days of SS play. His numbers may not seem gaudy by today's standards, but he was one of the best of his time. An outstanding player.
"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Trammell should've been a first ballot guy, glad he's in.

He was the 2nd best SS during his career, just happened to play in the shadow of Ripken. His best 5 seasons are amazing.

He raises the standards of the Hall.

Morris is on the short list of worst guys voted in ever.

And Ozzie Smith I guess.

Trammell was better in his prime, but his prime was pretty short. Smith was the better player career-wise. At least in my opinion.

I'm not sure either should be a HOFer but here we are.

Morris also doesn't belong at all.

Edit: after looking at it, I think those shortstops are worthy. Good for Trammell.

I really like the Trammel selection, don't love the Morris selection, but he's not the worst pitcher in the Hall. What I want to know is how Trammel gets in and Whitaker isn't even an afterthought. Very similar players, both very underrated.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I really like the Trammel selection, don't love the Morris selection, but he's not the worst pitcher in the Hall. What I want to know is how Trammel gets in and Whitaker isn't even an afterthought. Very similar players, both very underrated.

I would actually make a stronger case (personally) for Whitaker than I would for Trammel. Higher career WAR, counting stats are about the same, but what sticks out for me is Whitaker was more consistent. Trammel had some BAD offensive years, smack in the middle of his career. I think that for me, is what always stuck in my mind in the HOF consideration. I know his overall body of work is very good, but Trammel had 3-4 years in what would be considered the prime years I guess that were in the mid 600's, whereas Whit from 1981 til he retired after 1995 never had an OPS+ below 100. Who knows, maybe this sets the precedent for him.

I don't think Simmons ever gets in now since Yount and Sutton consisted of two of the 16 or so people voting.

Are you saying that Yount and Sutton have a grudge against Simmons, or are you saying that with those two being able to vote that should've been enough to get him in?

Archived