Brewer Fanatic

Brandon Morrow Signs with Cubs

Eye Black

That's a lot of $dough for a guy who has spent a lot of time on the DL the last five seasons. Wade Davis must be asking for a lot more than $10M/year, otherwise logic says to resign the proven closer in Davis. Edwards needs to get his walks down before they turn the closer role over to him.

That's a lot of $dough for a guy who has spent a lot of time on the DL the last five seasons.

And was ridden into the ground in the playoffs, especially the World Series.

Yeah he was on fumes in the World Series. No telling if his arm will have the same life next year. It's a gamble.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/12/cubs-nearing-deal-with-brandon-morrow.html

Crazy what these relievers are getting paid. Not sure on length but $10 a year is still steep.

Cubs print money and it's only two years guaranteed.

What a ride for Morrow. The dude was pitching like garbage in AAA before the Dodgers were forced to call him up and then he instantly became a shut down reliever in the majors. Sports can be so unpredictable at times.

Over the last three years Morrow has 92 2/3 major league innings and 77 minor league innings. He's been excellent over that timeframe but 10+ million guaranteed for a reliever that has averaged just over 30 major league innings over the last four seasons is a questionable contract IMO. If Swarzak, Hunter and Neshek command deals like this I guess I'm not that interested in the reliever market this off-season.

Epstein must think he'll continue throwing high 90s for 2 more years. That means he'll be a really good pitcher if he can.

If he wears down this year or next year, they move on to the next guy. Good risk for them to take.

I'd tend to agree, but there's definitely risk and it shouldn't be discounted. It's a shame we can't take such a risk with 8-10% of our payroll, for them it's probably closer to 5%.

The Cubs are jumping quickly to get their guys. I expect Cobb to go there soon, and then they'll be pretty much set for opening day.

I was hoping that they would have to break the bank on someone so they'd be pressed against the luxury tax threshold in the next couple of years. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that is going to happen. I think they're having a good offseason in that they're filling the holes in the roster with quality players while keeping a cushion to help account for future arby increases.

That kind of bums me out, so I'm just waiting for Stearns to make some moves that I can be excited about.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived