Brewer Fanatic

Stanton a Yankee

JohnBriggs12
Community Moderator
It's embarrassing that MLB approved this sale of the Marlins. I understand they wanted to get rid of Loria, but it's even worse when the new group can't afford to run a baseball team. Rumor has it they are looking for more investors, but I'm not sure who would want to invest in that sinking ship.

It's embarrassing that MLB approved this sale of the Marlins. I understand they wanted to get rid of Loria, but it's even worse when the new group can't afford to run a baseball team. Rumor has it they are looking for more investors, but I'm not sure who would want to invest in that sinking ship.

Not unusual to continue to add investor to the group though. I highly doubt MLB agreed to sale if financials weren't there. They become liable if that group fails and would have to buy back team and lose massive amount of money. Mark A and the Milwaukee Bucks have continued to add investors over the years. I don't think it means they don't have enough to run team but more investors more money. Loria was foolish and put them in bad shape that then new ownership group needs to correct.

If Jeter wasn't in the group and Stanton went to Yankees. No one would care or be upset. They could have sold team to Bill Gates and I'm sure he would be smart enough to trade Stanton's contract. They don't have attendance or TV deals to give away that kind of money. They are small market team. They are close to bottom in attendance. They need to spend like the Brewers, not New York, LA, or Boston. They may be most successful small budget team at developing talent, winning, selling off to rebuild, then repeat. With change in owners and front office, they went away from that. Under Loria, they have had no clue what they wanted to do. No direction or leadership.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Community Moderator

Not unusual to continue to add investor to the group though. I highly doubt MLB agreed to sale if financials weren't there. They become liable if that group fails and would have to buy back team and lose massive amount of money. Mark A and the Milwaukee Bucks have continued to add investors over the years. I don't think it means they don't have enough to run team but more investors more money. Loria was foolish and put them in bad shape that then new ownership group needs to correct.

If Jeter wasn't in the group and Stanton went to Yankees. No one would care or be upset. They could have sold team to Bill Gates and I'm sure he would be smart enough to trade Stanton's contract. They don't have attendance or TV deals to give away that kind of money. They are small market team. They are close to bottom in attendance. They need to spend like the Brewers, not New York, LA, or Boston. They may be most successful small budget team at developing talent, winning, selling off to rebuild, then repeat. With change in owners and front office, they went away from that. Under Loria, they have had no clue what they wanted to do. No direction or leadership.

While I agree that the Stanton contract was bad financially, the main goal of the new ownership should be growing the team from a "small market" into a large market team which is entirely feasible because of the size of Miami and the potential to be popular internationally. The team is currently only a "small market" because of previous bad ownership and decades worth of unpopular decisions.

The new ownership is doing the exact opposite of what they should be doing by firing longtime well-liked Marlins employees and engaging in a fire sale. Giving away international money to Seattle is further evidence that they do not even have a reasonable plan for building for the future. They are not reaching out to the fans in any way or making any effort to suggest that they have a better plan than Loria. They are doing nothing to combat the bashing that is occurring by the media and on social media. Maybe they do have a plan and it's just a failure to communicate...if so they better hurry up and convey it because they are losing the court of public opinion.

Before switching careers to teaching I was in sports management. One of the worst and hardest jobs to do is sales for Florida and Arizona sport teams. The turnover is outrageous due to the amount of implants that live in those states. The large amount of retired or older adults that move down there kill ticket sales because they are all Packer, Brewer, Cubs, Twins, Bears, and etc fans. The amount of loyal fans are low. I had a friend I graduate go work for the Dolphins after we graduated and he said it was brutal and the same from another person I knew who went to work for DBacks. Then you consider the vast amount of recreational options during the season going on in Florida is insane. So many options. You look at north teams....fan bases are beyond loyal. Our sport teams play major part in our lives. From the midwest to northeast. We live for our teams. It is just not like that as much done south. That is why Miami and Rays can be making world series run and still have hard time selling 50-75% of their seats. Not making excuses but that is a hurdle they face. I personally would never invest into one of those teams, bad investment in my mind. The Sports Journal kind of makes that clear.

It is only like a month or so into their era. It will be interesting to see what they do moving forward. They have made it clear they are selling all big contracts and wiping the books. Starting fresh with clean slate. That is why I have stressed making a play at Yelich so much. He is going to go along with Ozuna. They are already shopping Castro's contract. It is a full tear down which for Miami may be good. Does hurt receiving nothing for Stanton but clearing 25-30 million a year is nice. Yelich and Ozuna (after Arby) will clear another 18-20 million this season.

They do need to be more public about their plan and what they are doing. 76ers sold their "process" Cubs and Theo sold their tear down greatly. Jeter as the face needs to get out there and do the same. I agree they have done terrible at it so far.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Before switching careers to teaching I was in sports management. One of the worst and hardest jobs to do is sales for Florida and Arizona sport teams. The turnover is outrageous due to the amount of implants that live in those states. The large amount of retired or older adults that move down there kill ticket sales because they are all Packer, Brewer, Cubs, Twins, Bears, and etc fans. The amount of loyal fans are low. I had a friend I graduate go work for the Dolphins after we graduated and he said it was brutal and the same from another person I knew who went to work for DBacks. Then you consider the vast amount of recreational options during the season going on in Florida is insane. So many options. You look at north teams....fan bases are beyond loyal. Our sport teams play major part in our lives. From the midwest to northeast. We live for our teams. It is just not like that as much done south. That is why Miami and Rays can be making world series run and still have hard time selling 50-75% of their seats. Not making excuses but that is a hurdle they face. I personally would never invest into one of those teams, bad investment in my mind. The Sports Journal kind of makes that clear.

It is only like a month or so into their era. It will be interesting to see what they do moving forward. They have made it clear they are selling all big contracts and wiping the books. Starting fresh with clean slate. That is why I have stressed making a play at Yelich so much. He is going to go along with Ozuna. They are already shopping Castro's contract. It is a full tear down which for Miami may be good. Does hurt receiving nothing for Stanton but clearing 25-30 million a year is nice. Yelich and Ozuna (after Arby) will clear another 18-20 million this season.

They do need to be more public about their plan and what they are doing. 76ers sold their "process" Cubs and Theo sold their tear down greatly. Jeter as the face needs to get out there and do the same. I agree they have done terrible at it so far.

People just aren't interested in Baseball down there. It's a Soccer City. Having lived down there multiple winter/springs, it's easier to watch Soccer on a Sunday than NFL games seriously! Think about that. If the NFL on Sundays are a hard find, baseball? And like you said, the transplants are loyal to their team. New York Yankees are probably just as popular down there as the loyal Marlins fans. Well, guess what? Yankees are in the AL. When it comes to the Mets fans down there, it's the I'm embarrassed to say I'm a Mets fan attitude.

Loria got away with selling off it was all location that caused the fandom to not fill the seats. You got your location, exceeded the 2mil attendance the opening year, and went back to the same figures after. I just don't know what any group was thinking in wanting to buy from Loria and not know the money pit disaster they were getting. Maybe these guys have inside scoop to having the entire franchise moved soon and that location would be a lot more profitable for them>?

Anyway, pretty amazing the non quality of prospects they've got and immediately trying to sell off most likely the only player who'd even play on the ML team probably for next to nothing. Take the MVP and get nothing but his contract off your books for him. Embarrassing.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Before switching careers to teaching I was in sports management. One of the worst and hardest jobs to do is sales for Florida and Arizona sport teams. The turnover is outrageous due to the amount of implants that live in those states.

This is funny for several reasons. :laughing

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived