Brewer Fanatic

Stanton a Yankee

JohnBriggs12

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Jeter with the inside job!
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Stanton, Aaron Judge and Gary Sanchez hit more homers than the San Francisco Giants did last year.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Jeter with the inside job!

The conspiracy theory guy in me said he and Stanton drummed up discussion with STL and SFG just to make it look like NYY was the third option in this. Jeter couldn’t go directly to the Yankees first so he had to get some others involved.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The Rich get richer... I agree that the Dodgers seem to be on the losing end of competing for quality talent and I find that odd. The good news is Stanton would not be swinging a bat in Wrigley Field.

I will face Stanton any day over Harper.

Why is everyone acting like this is official?

If it's not and they agreed on the framework it would make sense it's over. The history of the franchise, big city, they're legitimate contenders annually moving forward and have a lot of talent in the farm. He can nix the deal but I don't see why just looking at everything on the surface

The scary thing is the Yankees have a huge amount of payroll coming off the books after 2018. They'd take a hit on defense for whoever they throw in CF, but I would love to watch a Stanton-Harper-Judge outfield. :laughing

Some would say this is bad for baseball and yes it in the short term it is as the rich got richer without having to give up top prospects / players.

I hope this is a wake up call for GMs and owners to stop overpaying players with full no trade clauses, which would be good for baseball. Stanton's contract was way above market value, which if it would have worked out it would have been OK, but it hasn't so now the Marlins have new ownership and an untraceable contract with a player in full control of where he goes. Of course the Marlins got nothing back.

Reports on mlbtr say Stanton is headed to NY for a physical so its a certainty that the deal is done. Castro and Iow level prospects not a "best" of Yankees prospects. Total Salary relief deal. God I hate Miami's Franchise and the ownership's run of it. Predicted this was going to happen from the get go when the firced approval of the Stadium build went through.

How do set that batting order? Judge 2 Stanton 4 Sanchez 5/6? Because b2b Judge/Stanton whoever is 2nd is going to have a lot of solo HRs.

Great deal for the Yankees, as their commitment to Stanton is much less than they would have to pay Bryce Harper in free agency.

That said, these big money deals, limited to a handful of teams, are always depressing.

The Brewers (and many others) are forced to shop in the discount section while the Yankees and Dodgers have the run of the store.

Great deal for the Yankees, as their commitment to Stanton is much less than they would have to pay Bryce Harper in free agency.

Which kind of stinks since it takes them out of the Harper sweepstakes (presumably). One less team to bid against the Cubs.

Even if they don't go crazy and sign Harper to play CF, the Yankees could realistically sign both Manny Machado and Charlie Blackmon for 2019 if they want to. Insane lineup, with that outfield (especially if Hicks is the real deal) and by then Gregorious/Gleybar Torres up the middle.

They have a massive hole at 1B/DH though. I wonder if they would be interested in Thames, since he's decent and cheap, which would allow us to experiment with Santana at 1B and Braun/Brinson/Phillips in the outfield.

Even if they don't go crazy and sign Harper to play CF, the Yankees could realistically sign both Manny Machado and Charlie Blackmon for 2019 if they want to. Insane lineup, with that outfield (especially if Hicks is the real deal) and by then Gregorious/Gleybar Torres up the middle.

They have a massive hole at 1B/DH though. I wonder if they would be interested in Thames, since he's decent and cheap, which would allow us to experiment with Santana at 1B and Braun/Brinson/Phillips in the outfield.

Stanton and Judge will rotate at DH plenty.

Ellsbury isn’t a great player at this point but he’ll still play and then they can essentially platoon Hicks and Gardner (Hicks hits lefties very well) so that means plenty of days for Stanton and Judge to DH, plus Sanchez getting some days off behind the plate.

At 1B they’re high on Greg Bird. They probably will pick up a cheap RH bat to mix in there or maybe Judge or Stanton can play some 1B (probably not).

Which kind of stinks since it takes them out of the Harper sweepstakes (presumably). One less team to bid against the Cubs.

Brewers have been saving up payroll.....just saying! Harper opening 2019 season in a Brewer uniform!

Realistically, I was hoping Red Sox because having top 2 sluggers playing against each other in major rivalry would be great. Bring back some McGwire and Sosa memories. I have a feeling Nationals will pay Harper. Cubs will have decisions coming soon with some big contracts. They need arms which they will need to buy. They have no help on the way in minors. They don't have the system to trade for elite arms.

I have no problem with the trade. It makes the Yankees more exciting again which I think is good for baseball. They are so iconic and such a huge part of our past time....I don't really like seeing them the way they have been past few years. I hate them being so dominant like they were growing up but I like to see them more relevant with some iconic players. Outside of Judge last year, who was the last Yankee player or team that was really that interesting or fun to follow? To be, they have just been ehh for years and extremely boring. So the whole rich get richer argument I disagree....this isn't George's Yankees anymore. Their team right now is based on hitting on Judge, Luis Severino, & Montgomery . Making trades to land Gregorius, Torres, Frazier, and McKinney. Then some FA's and trades. Think it is more smart managing than throwing money around.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewers have been saving up payroll.....just saying! Harper opening 2019 season in a Brewer uniform!

That's the other problem with the rich-get-richer dynamic of MLB. We would have to pay probably 25% more than any other team to convince Harper to sign here (on top of what is already going to be a massive contract)

I thought about putting that in blue but figured it was kind of implied when next paragraph starting out realistically and the just saying. Brewers aren't going to give out the first 400 million contract in MLB history.... 100 million contracts are still too rich for our blood. Those have only been offer to generational players like Braun, Fielder, and CC.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Realistically, I was hoping Red Sox because having top 2 sluggers playing against each other in major rivalry would be great. Bring back some McGwire and Sosa memories. I have a feeling Nationals will pay Harper. Cubs will have decisions coming soon with some big contracts. They need arms which they will need to buy. They have no help on the way in minors. They don't have the system to trade for elite arms.

I have no problem with the trade. It makes the Yankees more exciting again which I think is good for baseball. They are so iconic and such a huge part of our past time....I don't really like seeing them the way they have been past few years. I hate them being so dominant like they were growing up but I like to see them more relevant with some iconic players. Outside of Judge last year, who was the last Yankee player or team that was really that interesting or fun to follow? To be, they have just been ehh for years and extremely boring. So the whole rich get richer argument I disagree....this isn't George's Yankees anymore. Their team right now is based on hitting on Judge, Luis Severino, & Montgomery . Making trades to land Gregorius, Torres, Frazier, and McKinney. Then some FA's and trades. Think it is more smart managing than throwing money around.

It isn't smart that allows them to trade a bag of balls for a player few teams can afford. It's having the money to do so. It's why they can make any trade they want with no regard for what it might cost them down the road. It also has to help keep a decent farm system in place when you are one of five or so teams than can pay for a player a team can no longer afford. Pretty easy to keep a good farm when you can get the best players for essentially nothing in trade. If the Brewers could trade for players like Greinke or Sabathia knowing they would be able to outbid anyone else when their contract is up they would trade for more players like Greinke or Sabathia and be dominant for years. We can't, so we settle for a season or two and five years to rebuild afterward. If you really want smart instead of rich look at the Cardinals. They just keep on chugging along doing what they do and win as much as the Yankees do.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived