Brewer Fanatic

Significant interest in Santana, other Brewers OF

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Santana for Machado. Make it happen Stearns!

[sarcasm]Move Shaw to 1B and flip Thames for Archer.[/sarcasm]

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Well with Marlins shopping Ozuna and quite possibly Yelich and with J D Martinez out there as a FA, it's no wonder teams aren't valuing Santana all that high. Speaking of Martinez, why not make a big splash and sign him to take him off the market and take the best offer you can get for Santana? Then you could still deal Brinson or Phillips for a quality pitcher.

If TH is picking up on the sense that mke is spinning out santana at a sell high point most gms probably will as well.

I get the gripes about his defense but he's also a plus arm LF in reality. Brauns cemented there or he'd be there this year. His bat plays there though. Id assume stearns is trying to get ahead of the arby price spike because I dont see santana declining. He ks heavy but he's walked at every level and the obp isn't a mirage. Nor the power.

Would be a huge set back to the offense if we did trade him and the thought that we are trying to makes me think stearns doesn't see 2017 as an opening window but more the fact that he's collecting talent well. More signs towards a low $$$ investment short term filled scratch and dent offseason. Im ok with that as long as it means we give shots to the mlb or AAAA 2b and arms we need to figure out.

The issue I have with moving Santana for anything other than a TOR pitcher is the fact that without him, our offense will be less than average. Our offense in the 2nd half last season was horrible, Santana was our lone consistent bright spot. Remove him from that line up and replace him with a question mark, and regardless of our pitching, we will be in trouble. We have pitching options in house. Though it will be almost impossible, I'd move Braun since we can't count on him, and I'd move Broxton if we can find someone to bite. Exhaust all possibilities to move those two before considering trading any of the others. Trading our best offensive threat will do more negative damage than most are aware of.

[sarcasm]Not if we sign JD Martinez to replace him.[/sarcasm]

I know this is in blue but Martinez scares me a lot. I think some team is going to back up the truck for him and I think they'll be happy with it for a year or two before his contract becomes a disaster.

The issue I have with moving Santana for anything other than a TOR pitcher is the fact that without him, our offense will be less than average. Our offense in the 2nd half last season was horrible, Santana was our lone consistent bright spot. Remove him from that line up and replace him with a question mark, and regardless of our pitching, we will be in trouble. We have pitching options in house. Though it will be almost impossible, I'd move Braun since we can't count on him, and I'd move Broxton if we can find someone to bite. Exhaust all possibilities to move those two before considering trading any of the others. Trading our best offensive threat will do more negative damage than most are aware of.

[sarcasm]Not if we sign JD Martinez to replace him.[/sarcasm]

I know this is in blue but Martinez scares me a lot. I think some team is going to back up the truck for him and I think they'll be happy with it for a year or two before his contract becomes a disaster.

If he signs for 6 years, he's 35 in the final year. That's the price of poker. Brewers won't be paying Braun in the last two of those six.

JD is gonna be hitting bombs over the Green Monster for the forseeable future, its just a matter of time

Martinez hits most of HR to CF and RF. He's not a great fit in Boston. That doesn't mean they won't sign him, but it'll be at their price. On the other hand, those tend to be the power slots in Miller Park. But there's other alternatives the Brewers could look at if they get a good offer for Santana. The teams looking at Martinez might be the ones to talk to about Santana once Martinez is signed. Padres are another team on prowl for bats if they don't get Hosmer and they have some bullpen pieces in Hand and to a lesser extent Yates that are attractive.

If I'm Stearns, I'd be sniffing around the market for Avisail Garcia. He's supposed to be on the market and if the Brewers take him off it, it might up the demand for Santana.

• 2 weeks later...

Be interesting to see if the Brewers would move BOTH Broxton and Santana and free the outfield up for Brinson and Phillips. I have to imagine the Brewers would dive into the FA market for a 4th OF (Carlos Gonzalez, Carlos Gomez) type at that point to protect against Brinson and Phillips falling flat.

I hate the idea of trading away Santana but the following OFers would ease the loss:

1. Jay Bruce

2. John Jay

3. Lorenzo Cain

4. Carlos Gonzalez

I expect Phillips or Brinson to struggle initially. Milwaukee would need a haul for Santana and it would have to include a starting pitcher or someone to shut down the 8th inning and potentially close if Knebel struggles.

Be interesting to see if the Brewers would move BOTH Broxton and Santana and free the outfield up for Brinson and Phillips. I have to imagine the Brewers would dive into the FA market for a 4th OF (Carlos Gonzalez, Carlos Gomez) type at that point to protect against Brinson and Phillips falling flat.

Hmm, apparently they are still actively shopping Santana. I think Cleveland might be the best match as far as with a team that could provide a MLB pitcher. They actually have some sp depth and could potentially use some added power to the lineup with the departure of Carlos Santana.

Broxton still makes too much sense for the Giants.

Hmm, apparently they are still actively shopping Santana. I think Cleveland might be the best match as far as with a team that could provide a MLB pitcher. They actually have some sp depth and could potentially use some added power to the lineup with the departure of Carlos Santana.

Mike Clevinger please

I am not convinced they would be that interested in Domingo Santana, but if the Indians did indeed want him I could see the Brewers front office targeting Francisco Mejia in the return. They have already traded for him once as the primary return piece in the Lucroy trade, and catcher appears to be a position of future need in the organization. The Indians somewhat mysteriously shut Mejia down from playing Dominican winter ball after he participated in just three games and there was speculation they were doing so because he was a part of trade talks, but based on the fact he has been playing year round it is just as plausible they wanted him to get a break. Still a little odd you wouldn’t just prohibit him from playing at all and instead tell him to stop after he had just begun. They also unsuccessfully experimented with him at third base this Fall in Arizona. Mejia is well known for his hit tool and incredibly strong arm. Biggest knock is that he isn’t fleet of foot.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I'd still like to get Robbie Ray from Arizona for Santana.

Arizona has zero desire to make that trade. They went many years with no pitching and all offense (and were terrible), finally got good pitching, and they’re gonna give it away to go back to the olden days? I’m high on Santana but they probably lose in value as well.

We need a starting pitcher also if we make that trade

It would take more than Domingo Santana to get any of Francisco Mejia/ Carson Kelly/ Chance Sisco/ Jorge Alfaro.

Not one of those 4 plus pitching to get DSantana...

Now I could see DSantana & Mejia being part of multi player packages for each side in a trade but neither side believes its a fair deal 1 for 1 or 2 for 1/ 1 for 2.

It would take more than Domingo Santana to get any of Francisco Mejia/ Carson Kelly/ Chance Sisco/ Jorge Alfaro.

Now I could see DSantana & Mejia being part of multi player packages for each side in a trade but neither side believes its a fair deal 1 for 1 or 2 for 1/ 1 for 2.

These possible moves intrigue me. By all accounts, the Giants have been lurking in the shadows Brewers OF trade speculation all winter, and the Brewers definitively have OF depth from which to trade.

However, re: the bolded part above, for as studious & research-based as the speculation often is on BF.net, unless you have an inside connection, I'm not sure one can state definitively what the Brewers or Indians think.

You are embarrassingly under valuing Santana if you think he's less valuable than all those players. Santana is a great fit for Cleveland, maybe for Salazar plus some lower tier prospects. If we targeted just prospects, Santana could probably get almost any one of those prospects and possibly multiple.

I hate the idea of trading away Santana but the following OFers would ease the loss:

1. Jay Bruce

2. John Jay

3. Lorenzo Cain

4. Carlos Gonzalez

I expect Phillips or Brinson to struggle initially. Milwaukee would need a haul for Santana and it would have to include a starting pitcher or someone to shut down the 8th inning and potentially close if Knebel struggles.

I think the outfielders that would best ease the loss of Santana are Phillips, Brinson, and Broxton. A Santana trade likely means broxton stays put.

You are way undervaluing Santana and way overvaluing these prospects if you think that. Mejia is a high value prospect, but he's still just that, a prospect. Santana is a young middle of the order power bat. It would take Mejia+ to get him without a doubt. I mean, when was the last time you saw a large major league piece plus more traded for one prospect. That just doesn't happen.

Arizona has zero desire to make that trade. They went many years with no pitching and all offense (and were terrible), finally got good pitching, and they’re gonna give it away to go back to the olden days? I’m high on Santana but they probably lose in value as well.

Arizona has hole in OF left by Martinez and uncertainty over Tomas' health and production. They are actually pretty deep in starting pitching especially if they decided to move Archie Bradley back to the rotation. Brewers have pieces that could sweeten the pot too.

Arizona has hole in OF left by Martinez and uncertainty over Tomas' health and production. They are actually pretty deep in starting pitching especially if they decided to move Archie Bradley back to the rotation. Brewers have pieces that could sweeten the pot too.

The D-Backs were having a great season before JD Martinez's inclusion and explosion. Would you trade Chase Anderson for Jonathan Schoop because we have a hole at 2B? That's not even comparable because Ray is more valuable than Anderson.

The D-Backs can go to free agency for a bat if they need one. They're not going to rob Peter to pay Paul.

Archived