Brewer Fanatic

Significant interest in Santana, other Brewers OF

Panik, Strickland,Shark,+ Cash for Santana & Villar

No thank you...if that is the best we can get for Domingo I hold on to him for sure. I don't see an upgrade to our organization at all. Domingo should only get better enter age 25 season. No need to sell him with all his control to not profit from it at all. Get a haul or let him keep smashing at Miller Park.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No thank you...if that is the best we can get for Domingo I hold on to him for sure. I don't see an upgrade to our organization at all. Domingo should only get better enter age 25 season. No need to sell him with all his control to not profit from it at all. Get a haul or let him keep smashing at Miller Park.

Yeah not seeing it either from San Fran but that is about the best they can do imo.

Yeah not seeing it either from San Fran but that is about the best they can do imo.

Any deal would have to include Arroyo. Ryder Jones has never hit for much power but could be valuable swing 1b/3b utility bat. I would not touch Beede. I think he is not good at all. Shaw has ton of power but will K 1/3 of the time and not walk at all. Fabian, Gonzalez, Krook are the very few young talented players I like in system. They just don't have enough for Santana. Villar is kind of useless for them since Arroyo is ready to replace Panik if he is traded.

Think Broxton fits well with what they have to offer though. You can work out a Broxton for Matt Moore swap. Or snag few low level diamonds like they did in Lind trade.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Christian Arroyo is Hernan Perez. Why would we have any interest in him?

Well if you consider them the same Arroyo is controlled longer and thus cheaper because he isn’t in arbitration. That is his positive if that is your thought process.

Christian Arroyo is Hernan Perez. Why would we have any interest in him?

Well if you consider them the same Arroyo is controlled longer and thus cheaper because he isn’t in arbitration. That is his positive if that is your thought process.

That's such a minor upgrade because it's not like Perez is expensive. My main point is I wouldn't even consider trading Santana for Hernan Perez level players/prospects.

Thoughts on Panik, is that if Stearns acquires him first, Villar is on the trade market as a dump off needing to rid him or Perez. Villar stands as the higher upside offensively, but Perez is better defensively. I'd wait on word on Villar or Perez traded somewhere before picking up Panik.

I would take Panik in a trade. The crew has broken the strikeout record two years in a row, Panik would be a big step in the right direction towards lowering team strikeout numbers. DS has to be cognizant of this going into the offseason. Panik's power numbers have nowhere to go but up getting out of AT&T Park.

I would take Panik in a trade. The crew has broken the strikeout record two years in a row, Panik would be a big step in the right direction towards lowering team strikeout numbers. DS has to be cognizant of this going into the offseason. Panik's power numbers have nowhere to go but up getting out of AT&T Park.

i don't think anybody is saying they don't want Panik. It's a matter of being the right deal and how we want to build the team, and if we want to give up on the upside of someone like Villar. Trading for Panik would basically be giving up on Villar.

From the Haudricourt article today, Brewers receiving interest in Domingo Santana on trade market but would ask for big return...

The San Francisco Giants and Oakland A's are among the teams reported to have shown more than passing interest in Santana.

Stearns quote: "We work very hard to acquire young talent and develop it, so there is an inclination to see that young talent progress and succeed in your organization. We also understand this game is about winning games at the major-league level and winning games at Miller Park. To the extent we think that’s best served by trading some of these younger players for others perhaps more ready to contribute at major-league level, we’re at the point where I’m at least willing to consider that."

To have any chance of acquiring Santana, or any outfielder, you better be prepared to trade starting pitching to the Brewers. That is their primary need, particularly with right-hander Jimmy Nelson still recovering from shoulder surgery that is expected to sideline him for a good portion of the first half of the 2018 season.

So how about Domingo Santana for A’s LHP Sean Manaea?

Not just “at Night” anymore.

From the Haudricourt article today, So how about Domingo Santana for A’s LHP Sean Manaea?

Seems like a perfect trade in terms of value, though I wonder if Oakland has a deep enough stable of pitching that they would consider trading a young SP. Billy Beane generally waits to trade those guys until they start to cost money.

Interesting sell high talent but it would take a massive return to even consider it. This team had almost no offense at all down the stretch besides him. We have a lot of outfielders but not any that are very good at this point in their careers (yet in the case of Brinson, Phillips, and to a degree Broxton, downside in the case of Braun) at the MLB level besides Santana

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

SF Giant Executive vice president of baseball operations Brian Sabean indicated that the Giants aren’t going to sign any players who rejected qualifying offers earlier this offseason. Said Sabean, “If you’re asking me personally, my vote would be a no, being that we wouldn’t want to get involved with somebody like that."

If that is true, it might seriously deter them from going after center fielder Lorenzo Cain. That could make Broxton a trade target.

The Giants want to retool - not rebuild. But they also want to avoid going into the luxury penalty zone. A cheap player like Broxton would be quite attractive. He would fit in nicely in SF - a fast, rangy OF in that park would do them wonders.

Any money the club saves could then be spent on other needs.

SF Giant Executive vice president of baseball operations Brian Sabean indicated that the Giants aren’t going to sign any players who rejected qualifying offers earlier this offseason. Said Sabean, “If you’re asking me personally, my vote would be a no, being that we wouldn’t want to get involved with somebody like that."

If that is true, it might seriously deter them from going after center fielder Lorenzo Cain. That could make Broxton a trade target.

The Giants want to retool - not rebuild. But they also want to avoid going into the luxury penalty zone. A cheap player like Broxton would be quite attractive. He would fit in nicely in SF - a fast, rangy OF in that park would do them wonders.

Any money the club saves could then be spent on other needs.

I completely agree. I anticipate them trading for someone as I get the impression they want to bring in 2 OF. So someone like Bruce(no QO attached) could make sense if they want a lower cost/lower caliber option in RF...I assume to platoon to some degree with Pence. They also could look at McCutchen in CF if they want a more proven, higher caliber player in CF. So the Giants do have options available other than our guys, but I would be very surprised if they didn't bring in at least one of the two outfielders they want via trade.

From the Haudricourt article today, Brewers receiving interest in Domingo Santana on trade market but would ask for big return...

The San Francisco Giants and Oakland A's are among the teams reported to have shown more than passing interest in Santana.

Stearns quote: "We work very hard to acquire young talent and develop it, so there is an inclination to see that young talent progress and succeed in your organization. We also understand this game is about winning games at the major-league level and winning games at Miller Park. To the extent we think that’s best served by trading some of these younger players for others perhaps more ready to contribute at major-league level, we’re at the point where I’m at least willing to consider that."

To have any chance of acquiring Santana, or any outfielder, you better be prepared to trade starting pitching to the Brewers. That is their primary need, particularly with right-hander Jimmy Nelson still recovering from shoulder surgery that is expected to sideline him for a good portion of the first half of the 2018 season.

So how about Domingo Santana for A’s LHP Sean Manaea?

That framework does make sense for both teams, but I would prefer to target Manaea with other players if we were going to go that route. For me, Santana has more value than Manaea. I'd prefer to keep Santana and try packaging up players with Broxton to get Manaea if we are interested in him. I think a trade for Manaea would make sense for both teams. We have a lot to offer the Athletics, and they should have a good feel for our system from our deadline push for Gray.

The issue I have with moving Santana for anything other than a TOR pitcher is the fact that without him, our offense will be less than average. Our offense in the 2nd half last season was horrible, Santana was our lone consistent bright spot. Remove him from that line up and replace him with a question mark, and regardless of our pitching, we will be in trouble. We have pitching options in house. Though it will be almost impossible, I'd move Braun since we can't count on him, and I'd move Broxton if we can find someone to bite. Exhaust all possibilities to move those two before considering trading any of the others. Trading our best offensive threat will do more negative damage than most are aware of.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The issue I have with moving Santana for anything other than a TOR pitcher is the fact that without him, our offense will be less than average. Our offense in the 2nd half last season was horrible, Santana was our lone consistent bright spot. Remove him from that line up and replace him with a question mark, and regardless of our pitching, we will be in trouble. We have pitching options in house. Though it will be almost impossible, I'd move Braun since we can't count on him, and I'd move Broxton if we can find someone to bite. Exhaust all possibilities to move those two before considering trading any of the others. Trading our best offensive threat will do more negative damage than most are aware of.

[sarcasm]Not if we sign JD Martinez to replace him.[/sarcasm]

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

This is from yesterday:

Brewers listening on Santana: Milwaukee is dangling Domingo Santana in its search for an affordable impact starting pitcher but not getting much traction in trade talks, according to ESPN's Jerry Crasnick. The 25-year-old outfielder hit 30 home runs and made just $542,000 last season, so finding a team willing to give up as much as it would take to make a deal worth it for the Brewers won't be easy.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21739107/2017-mlb-winter-meetings-daily-latest-news-buzz-rumors

It's not really shocking that Stearns would be shopping Santana because it may simply be a sell high move. Santana is not a great defensive player and that really limits his ceiling as a true superstar type player. His strikeout rate is high and if the ridiculous BABIP (.363) comes back down to earth then he's solid corner outfield bat but not a standout.

When I posted my trade suggestion earlier I hadn't realized that Baseball America had elevated Heliot Ramos to the Giants #1 prospect. Not so surprising considering he was a first round pick and really tore it up in rookie league ball. I'm more convinced that a Santana for Panik, Strickland, Beede, Ramos would be a great trade for Milwaukee. Hopefully the Giants would see Santana continuing to be a solid 3.5 WAR player and would offer up a package like that.

Archived