Brewer Fanatic

Significant interest in Santana, other Brewers OF

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Short of MadBum, the Giants have nothing I want for Santana.

Not that this is realistic, but some combination of Strickland/2 top prospects/Samardja with a chunk of his salary coming our way might make sense. They have MLB pieces that would help the team that aren't off limits(poser/mad bum/cueto/etc)

I'm not advocating the trade, just saying with MLB players they have some firepower.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Santana is going to be 25 next year and won't be eligible for free agency until 2022. He could hit 40 bombs next season if he stays healthy. Price tag should be high.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

If you're punting on 2018 and plan on playing Brinson in CF and Phillips in RF, I would understand moving Santana for a controllable stud SP. However, since I don't believe this is the strategy the Brewers will be going with in 2018, short of the Rays offering Archer or Blue Jays offering Stroman for a Santana-led package, trading Santana doesn't make sense.

3 way trade. We send Domingo Santana to the Giants. We send Isan Diaz to Tampa. Giants send Arroyo, Shaw and Beede to Tampa. And Tampa sends us Archer.

Make this happen Stearns!

Why do you want us to lose 90 games?

3 way trade. We send Domingo Santana to the Giants. We send Isan Diaz to Tampa. Giants send Arroyo, Shaw and Beede to Tampa. And Tampa sends us Archer.

Pitching wins championships. We lose Khris Davis and Santana takes his place. We improve big time, yet we have similiar numbers from both outfielders.

What changed the record for the better last year? Improved pitching.......but not enough to make the playoffs.

What do we have a surplus of? OF

The 3 way offer seems to make sense all the way around, but hey I sit in the cheap seats. So what do I know.

Explain. Losing Domingo who's replaceable on the roster, but gaining a fairly young, controllable, affordable, frontline pitcher who walks under 3 per 9, k's over 10 per 9 and FIPs 3.50 makes them a 90 loss team? Not sure the trade works for everyone, but seems pretty solid for the Brewers at least.

Pitching wins championships. We lose Khris Davis and Santana takes his place. We improve big time, yet we have similiar numbers from both outfielders.

What changed the record for the better last year? Improved pitching.......but not enough to make the playoffs.

What do we have a surplus of? OF

The 3 way offer seems to make sense all the way around, but hey I sit in the cheap seats. So what do I know.

Yeah because Shaw over Hill, Thames over Carter, Santana hitting near his potential, Pina performing very well in place of Lucroy, Sogard bouncing back after being healthy in years and Aguilar being great both improved our bench big time all had nothing to do with it. They *only* improved because of pitching even though half the pen was junk for 4 months.

In 2018, Brinson or Phillips aren't replacing what Santana did so that's a downgrade. Unless you get an insane offer you literally can't say no to then you're not trading Santana. Brewers have 5 starting MLB OF on their roster right now - someone needs to get moved (ideally Broxton).

Pitching doesn't win championships. Excelling in all facets of the game, along with some luck, wins championships.

Santana has so much upside, but there's also a decent possibility that he was overperforming last season and his value is at a peak right now. Combined with the fact that our top-level positional prospects are outfielders, and I would at least listen to offers.

I'm not sure San Francisco is a good match though. Their only impact prospect is an outfielder (Heliot Ramos), and that's about it. I certainly hope Joe Panik is not drawing the attention of Stearns. I really don't even know who I would ask for in a fantasy trade (south of a fantasy Bumgarner trade, of course).

Yeah, let's trade our junk like Broxton. Everyone wants to trade junk, and wants great players in return. There is nothing that Broxton will fetch us that will actually be anything better than what we have. You want a great player then you have to give something up that hurts a little.

Everyone has a price.

Santana has so much upside, but there's also a decent possibility that he was overperforming last season and his value is at a peak right now. Combined with the fact that our top-level positional prospects are outfielders, and I would at least listen to offers.

I'm not sure San Francisco is a good match though. Their only impact prospect is an outfielder (Heliot Ramos), and that's about it. I certainly hope Joe Panik is not drawing the attention of Stearns. I really don't even know who I would ask for in a fantasy trade (south of a fantasy Bumgarner trade, of course).

I personally think peak Santana is dropping a line of 300/385/950. His production in the minors shows he has crazy offensive upside, especially being insanely young for all levels too.

Yeah, let's trade our junk like Broxton. Everyone wants to trade junk, and wants great players in return. There is nothing that Broxton will fetch us that will actually be anything better than what we have. You want a great player then you have to give something up that hurts a little.

Everyone has a price.

Broxton plays good defense in CF (premium spot), has solid arm and crazy speed. Offensively he was one of 6 MLB OF with 20/20 last year and that was in a down season with 100+ fewer PA then "full time" guys. 2016 he was above average offensively. He's 27 with 5yrs control.

Yeah, sounds like *junk*

I personally think peak Santana is dropping a line of 300/385/950. His production in the minors shows he has crazy offensive upside, especially being insanely young for all levels too.

No doubt, and let's not forget he's less than two years older than Phillips and Brinson and already has a season under his belt as the best offensive player on the team.

If the Brewers are "getting hits" and (reporting this news), it tells me the Brewers are letting everyone know that our OF's are for sale. This would also seem like the "Brewers" are trying to undo the logjam at OF and are the one's being proactive.

I see more of a Braun to SF than Santana due to SF's farm. If Braun would approve a trade I could see a scenario of Braun to SF for Samardjia to offset salary and a prospect such as Arroyo as Arroyo could step into second base today.

If the Brewers are "getting hits" and (reporting this news), it tells me the Brewers are letting everyone know that our OF's are for sale. This would also seem like the "Brewers" are trying to undo the logjam at OF and are the one's being proactive.

No doubt. You can tell me all about how injuries will happen and not all prospects turn out, but you can't just sit on Braun/Santana/Brinson/Phillips/Broxton/(and maybe Thames partially).

You gotta get rid of someone and not waste away value.

That phone gets hung up if Bumgarner isn't the offer. Whether we saw peak Santana or not the upside is too giant to risk trading. No thanks to their trash that lost 100 games and bad farm. I'd trade Brinson for an ace and move on with Phillips or vice versa depending what the team wants.

Id take Samardjia for Braun straight up. Every time you try to make this roster fit well the issue I always snag on is how much can you count on Braun. Yes hes real good but for 100 games 120 games, worse? Does he decline more. Do you leave brinson down waiting for the next injury etc. The meh 200 innings (and the fip was much better than the era) and 2.2 war plugs in so much nicer. The home away is a bit spooky though. The flashy phillips brinson santana of defense with broxton as a 4th. Id take the offensive hit and not look back. Thames aguilar platoon santana shaw can and need to carry this offense. The kids need their abs.

Santana phillips or brinson... ok sf you just try! Broxton I'd listen.

Better question. Why does Tampa want a bunch of crap for Archer?

Archived