Brewer Fanatic

Ohtani to the Angels

bill hAll Star

An outfield of Upton - Trout - Ohtani sounds pretty good if this guy is the real deal.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

An outfield of Upton - Trout - Ohtani sounds pretty good if this guy is the real deal.

Calhoun is a GG RF, so I think Ohtani will be relagated to the DH role with a couple of spot starts in the outfield (unless they trade Calhoun). Looks like old Albert will be limping out to play 1B as of right now.

Calhoun is a GG RF, so I think Ohtani will be relagated to the DH role with a couple of spot starts in the outfield (unless they trade Calhoun). Looks like old Albert will be limping out to play 1B as of right now.

Upton and Calhoun can occasionally DH as well. Just because a guy is a good defender doesn't mean he can't DH.

Upton and Calhoun can occasionally DH as well. Just because a guy is a good defender doesn't mean he can't DH.

Another reason that having a DH in one league and not in the other is flat out stupid.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

And just because a guy can play outfield doesn't mean he should. This guy is supposed to be an ace. I don't think the Angels are going to throw their ace in the outfield for 80 games because he can play the outfield.

It's too bad Scocia is still the manager there somehow. I have zero faith that he'll be able to use Ohtani in any kind of creative manner.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

It's too bad Scocia is still the manager there somehow. I have zero faith that he'll be able to use Ohtani in any kind of creative manner.

My thoughts exactly. Any minor struggle as a hitter Ohtani has and Socia will pull the plug on it. Although for all the effort he supposedly put into figuring out where he wanted to go you would think he would know about Socia and his old school thinking.

I like Scioscia, but I agree he doesn't seem to be the best fit for Ohtani. This is the last year of Scioscia's contract, so it will be interesting to see how things shake out. Another poor year and Josh Paul, the Angels new bench coach, may be the new manager.

I am even more on board with the NL adopting the DH. I enjoy watching NL ball, but injuries to pitchers who are batting / running and the competitive advantage, I’m over it.

I’m also torn with the angels. I’m a huge fan of the generational player, Trout, but I hate the team for the Pujols deal. Now this signing... this could possibly be one if the biggest ROI signings in our era. This will be fun to watch as it plays out.

And as Stearns says, I’m glad he’s in the AL!!

"There's more people to ignore in New York or in Boston than there are in Milwaukee, but I would still ignore them, probably."

-Zack Greinke

No way does Ohtani sign with the Angels if their intent is to only pitch him. He wanted to play the field and pitch. That has to be a huge part of this agreement whether Scocia likes it or not.

No way does Ohtani sign with the Angels if their intent is to only pitch him. He wanted to play the field and pitch. That has to be a huge part of this agreement whether Scocia likes it or not.

Agreed. Though I'm not sure where this speculation is coming from that Scioscia can't or doesn't want Ohtani to play the field and pitch. Is there any sort of support/sources for this, or is it purely a "well he's an older manager therefore by default he's conventional..."?

Agreed. Though I'm not sure where this speculation is coming from that Scioscia can't or doesn't want Ohtani to play the field and pitch. Is there any sort of support/sources for this, or is it purely a "well he's an older manager therefore by default he's conventional..."?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/08/sports/ohtani-angels.html

Here's an article about Ohtani. This paragraph is towards the bottom:

"Any talk of Ohtani playing the outfield or truly playing every day is probably just talk. He has appeared in the outfield a total of eight times in the last four seasons, and all eight appearances were in 2014. His typical workweek in Japan consisted of starting a game as a pitcher, being a D.H. for the next few days, then taking two days off before his next start. To think that he could handle more frequent work, and the demands of playing a position in the field, after not doing so against lesser competition in Japan, is a stretch."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/08/sports/ohtani-angels.html

Here's an article about Ohtani. This paragraph is towards the bottom:

"Any talk of Ohtani playing the outfield or truly playing every day is probably just talk. He has appeared in the outfield a total of eight times in the last four seasons, and all eight appearances were in 2014. His typical workweek in Japan consisted of starting a game as a pitcher, being a D.H. for the next few days, then taking two days off before his next start. To think that he could handle more frequent work, and the demands of playing a position in the field, after not doing so against lesser competition in Japan, is a stretch."

Thanks for the share. Now less impressed over the hype of this guy then. Thought he was the next Steve Nebraska.

I'm okay with this because I don't like Trout being stuck on a bad team. It's better than him going to an already very strong team or god forbid the Cubs.

I'm guessing it was partly about teams letting him hit and making it absolutely clear that they would cater to him in that way. It obviously wasn't about money, market size, or best chance at a title.

I'm okay with this because I don't like Trout being stuck on a bad team. It's better than him going to an already very strong team or god forbid the Cubs.

I'm guessing it was partly about teams letting him hit and making it absolutely clear that they would cater to him in that way. It obviously wasn't about money, market size, or best chance at a title.

The Angels GM has been scouting him since he was in high school (he was with the Yanks). I think that played a huge role, as they gained a good relationship throughout the years.

From Jeff Passan, Recent physical shows Angels' Shohei Ohtani has a damaged elbow ligament

New Los Angeles Angels star Shohei Ohtani has a damaged ulnar collateral ligament, according to a physical obtained by Yahoo Sports, and underwent a platelet-rich plasma shot in October in hopes of treating the elbow pain caused by it.

Ohtani, the 23-year-old right-handed pitcher and left-handed power hitter who signed with the Angels on Saturday after a frenzied recruiting process, has a first-degree sprain of his right UCL, according to a report dated Nov. 28 and performed by Dr. Masamitsu Tsuchiya at Doai Kinen Hospital in Tokyo.

Some more information in the article linked above. Not necessarily devastating news, but reason for some concern.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived