Brewer Fanatic

Fangraphs Top 30 Brewer Prospects

homer
I do think we sold low on Khris Davis, but catching prospects are unusual and I don't think writers are very good at ranking them. Nottingham might need another 4 years to develop and not reach the majors until his late 20s, but then he could be an above average starter. Nobody knows at this point, and clearly the front office likes his potential.

Brewers have stressed his development defensively a ton to try to make sure he can stay back there. Reports on his defense have gone up. Wonder how much that has impacted his bat and how much they let the bat play in Oakland with less stress on mastering the defensive aspects. Catchers are the slowest to develop offensively due to the workload that comes with the position. Like Brett Lawrie coming, "nah I don't want to catch anymore, it's two long...2B is faster path (not a real quote but around what he said)."

I still think there he can find it again. Hard to believe the bat skill he had coming over here just completely disappeared. Your crush the lower levels with so much ease at a very young age then just drop. This will be his make or break year as a prospect though with the Brewers.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Wow. The title says top 30, but beyond those 30, are blurbs about 28 other players. A good read. Lemons was my sleeper guy to follow and adding a 2500 RPM spin rate makes him that more appealing...

That is pretty elite level! Hope he can repeat that moving forward! A 6’6 pitcher whose fastball has a chance to sit 94-97 as he matured with that kind of spin rate is deadly for hitters! Spin rate is awesome, before I studied it, Peralta didn’t make sense to me. Throwing gas but unable to miss bats. He has one of the lowest spins in baseball for both 2 & 4 seam which is great for ground balls but easier to hit.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Also this re: Peralta's fastball:

http://milwaukee.locals.baseballprospectus.com/2017/09/08/freddy-peralta-and-quality-depth/

“Peralta does not have any pitch that will wow anyone, but the whole package is quite intriguing. He is adept at changing both speeds and looks on his 88-92 fastball."

https://www.mlb.com/news/brewers-prospect-freddy-peralta-named-all-star/c-236881060

According to Chavarria, Peralta's fastball sits in the 91-95 mph range and is his most dangerous tool.

So he throws from 88 - 95 :)

I like reading Longenhagen's stuff, but he's not perfect. My notes from watching him pitch are 90-93 consistently on FB. Of course, guns vary. I also thought he had a plus change, and I've read that elsewhere. Surprised that was really down-played.

I don't believe you have k rate like that in AA with an 89 FB and "good" secondary pitches.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Let's try and keep this discussion about the Fangraphs article. Thanks.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived