Brewer Fanatic

Mariners acquire Dee Gordon

bill hAll Star
I do find it kind of hilarious if the Mariners think that after all the money Ohtani gave up to go pro now, and all the endorsement money at stake, that the Mariners think a few hundred grand in bonus money will be the tipping point.

Was thinking the same thing, especially since apparently money is not the motivating facor for Ohtani.

Bob Nightengale‏

@BNightengale

More

Huge respect to Ohtani who is proving that money is one of his least priorities. He leaves $200 million in free agency by coming out two years early and now giving up marketing riches by rejecting New York market

6:15 PM - 3 Dec 2017

Would you give up ponce to pay a contract on a 2b who leans on speed that goes til 33 at 13 mil a year who is around 330 obp and 700 ops? Even if their farm is trash Dee's a name more than substance.

You severely discount his steals, but yes I'd give that up. I don't think Ponce will be a major leaguer.

If I'm in all-in mode like the Mariners are, unless I think Ponce is a blue chipper, sure, I do it.

One can rip what they did to get to this point, but they have:

1 year of Cruz

2 of a declining Felix

Cano is getting older

Seager, Segura in their primes

They're overpaying Mike Leake

Might have a shot at Ohtani

The money for Gordon doesn't bother me. Sure, he may be useless in 3 years but he can collect his $14 million on his 67 win, low-ish payroll team as they probably will be forced to rebuild.

We trade ray and a lottery ticket to take on this contract I'm not going to be happy and I desperately want a 2b lead off hitter not named villar sogard perez.

Forget ponce already. I simply grabbed the name of a poosible davies upside pitcher in our system as thats what #2 in the sea system was called.. I think ortiz is better than that as well as burnes Fperalta and diplan supak are totally different types. Just said ponce to illistrate how market value that contract should be viewed as. 30 year old dee at 13 mil until hes 33 is no bargain.

saw a comment on MLBTR & thought I should share here..

"Flip him (Dee Gordon) to Milwaukee for more international bonus money and Corey Ray + lottery ticket prospect."

Not a bad little move if Dipoto & DS decide to do that...

Hard pass on Dee for Ray, lottery ticket + international bonus money. I wouldn't do Ray for Dee straight up.

"Flip him (Dee Gordon) to Milwaukee for more international bonus money and Corey Ray + lottery ticket prospect."

Not sure, but the Mariners have to be close to maxed out for their International pool money.

If I'm trading for a 2B it's Lawrie from the A's love his OBP.

Not sure, but the Mariners have to be close to maxed out for their International pool money.

Not sure what you mean by Seattle being maxxed out. Don't think there is a limit to the amount a team could acquire. Just that it is acquired BEFORE the team signs someone with the money.

Seattle would be getting 2017-18 pool money from the Brewers in this scenario..

I think Ponce becomes a nice 6th or 7th inning reliever and depth in starting pitching at a minimum. I think he's a major leaguer.

I like Dee but it's too many years on a contract when we have Hiura and Isan coming. I bet we get Ian Kinsler or re-up with Neal Walker.

Gordon has 3 years plus an option/ buyout remaining.

I would think that is the perfect length. Enough time for the players you mention to develop, not be rushed & have a small cushion in case of struggles/ injuries..

Neither prospect is ready for the majors 2018 and highly unlikely to be ready for the majors at the beginning of 2019. If guys are ready come 2020, deal with the situation then.

Not sure what you mean by Seattle being maxxed out. Don't think there is a limit to the amount a team could acquire. Just that it is acquired BEFORE the team signs someone with the money.

Seattle would be getting 2017-18 pool money from the Brewers in this scenario..

There is a cap. You can add 75% of you international pool allotment. The Mariners have spent almost $4 million so far. The should be able to have about $4.3 million max left that they can spend. So the Mariners have some room to add more International pool money.

Even when factoring in a bad offensive season in 2016, Gordon has still slashed .309/.340/.384/.724 over the last three seasons and is a very good option to sit at the top of the order. Add in that he's a plus defender at a middle infield spot. I'm surprised that people are surprised that Gordon fetched as much as he did. The Mariners actually got themselves a pretty good bargain, taking advantage of the Marlins wanting to dump payroll plus a market where second basemen aren't very high in demand.

Only reason I didn't want the Brewers to get Gordon was because I didn't want them to make a 3 year commitment to a veteran second basemen because the Brewers already have a few solid candidates in the pipeline.

Yes that factors in his best season too. 2016 bad... 2015 best. Its also his 27 28 29 year old seasons. Prime seasons. More likely to play at 2016 levels over the bext 3 than 2017 levels I'd assume. If we were to add him I'd immediately put him in the 9 hole and lead off thames vs rh and braun/santana vs lh. And its not all that likely that his offense would improve on a sogard villar perez 3 man split. Defense clearly yes. But that's 13 mil. Get me two solid rps.

Yes that factors in his best season too. 2016 bad... 2015 best. Its also his 27 28 29 year old seasons. Prime seasons. More likely to play at 2016 levels over the bext 3 than 2017 levels I'd assume. If we were to add him I'd immediately put him in the 9 hole and lead off thames vs rh and braun/santana vs lh. And its not all that likely that his offense would improve on a sogard villar perez 3 man split. Defense clearly yes. But that's 13 mil. Get me two solid rps.

He's was good in 2014,2015, and 2017, so I would think he'd produce closer to those numbers as opposed to the one year where he played on 79 games and struggled. I'd imagine coming off a PED suspension, Gordon was pressing to prove himself to be just as good without the PEDs. Not saying that's a difinitive reason, but 2016 does look to be a bit of an outlier.

Archived