Brewer Fanatic

Rafael Palmiero

And That

I could imagine some bottom-dweller may sign him in an attempt to catch lightning in a bottle and put a few extra butts in seats, but I can't imagine this will every become a "thing". Seems like there is a story kind of like this every year, though. I remember Jim Palmer tried it for a couple weeks in Orioles camp in the early '90s.

If he plays one game in the major leagues, does that make him eligible for the HOF ballot again? And reset that clock so five more years would pass before he shows up on the ballot and maybe steriod users get in??

Yep, definitely. It wasn’t an issue for Jim Palmer because he only played in spring training during his comeback attempt.

Satchel Paige pitched 3 scoreless innings for the 1965 Kansas City A's at age 58. That was mostly a Charlie Finley publicity stunt though. Similarly, Bill Veeck activated Minnie Minoso at age 50 in 1976 and again in 1980 at age 54. He went 1 for 8 in 76 and 0 for 2 in 1980. Minoso has the distinction of playing in 5 different decades.

I'm sure in his mind Palmiero believes he can do it. Reality is there's no way his reflexes can handle 98 mph fastballs. Maybe 93-94, but 98? No way.

If he plays one game in the major leagues, does that make him eligible for the HOF ballot again? And reset that clock so five more years would pass before he shows up on the ballot and maybe steriod users get in??

Yep, definitely. It wasn’t an issue for Jim Palmer because he only played in spring training during his comeback attempt.

Is there anybody who thinks the comeback attempt would not be an attempt at exactly what brwrsfan described?

Palmer was already in the HOF at the time of his comeback attempt too, interestingly enough.

Reading this feels like a joke to me. 0% chance. I'd be hard pressed to believe he could even out hit members of his local softball league at this point. I get staying in shape and all but c'mon. A 53 year old is not competing professionally with guys in their mid-20's. It's just not a physical reality....even if he's stayed on the sauce after all these years :)

I mean if a team wanted to bring him back for 1 AB or something, there's a chance he could muster up 1 legitimate hit maayybee. Outside of that, it's a pure attention grab on his part.

Archived