Brewer Fanatic

2018 Lineup (batting order)

TJseven7
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every spot in the batting order is worth ~15 PA's the rest of the year. The idea of not hitting your 4 best hitters 1-4 is absolutely silly to me.

If you hit Villar leadoff and drop Cain to 3rd in the order, you're basically pinch hitting Villar for Cain 30 times the rest of the season.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Every spot in the batting order is worth ~15 PA's the rest of the year. The idea of not hitting your 4 best hitters 1-4 is absolutely silly to me.

If you hit Villar leadoff and drop Cain to 3rd in the order, you're basically pinch hitting Villar for Cain 30 times the rest of the season.

Agreed.

If you want Villar in front of Cain/Yelich, have him bat 9th to act as a second leadoff man.

Here’s what I’d do today if I was Stearns/Counsell. Other than catcher, set it and forget it until the all star break and try to get some offense going.

Moves:

- DL Shaw

- Option Kratz, Sogard

- Recall Santana, Nottingham, Lopez

vs RHP:

1. Cain- CF

2. Yelich- RF/LF

3. Aguilar- 3B

4. Thames- 1B/LF

5. Braun- LF/RF/1B

6. Miller- SS

7. Nottingham/Pina- C (50/50ish)

8. Pitcher

9. Villar- 2B

Bench: backup catcher, Santana, Perez, Arcia

vs LHP:

1. Cain- CF

2. Yelich- LF

3. Braun- 1B

4. Aguilar- 3B

5. Santana- RF

6. Villar- 2B

7. Nottingham/Pina- C (50/50)

8. Pitcher

9. Arcia- SS

Bench: backup catcher, Thames, Perez, Miller

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Here’s what I’d do today if I was Stearns/Counsell. Other than catcher, set it and forget it until the all star break and try to get some offense going.

Moves:

- DL Shaw

- Option Kratz, Sogard

vs RHP:

1. Cain- CF

2. Yelich- RF/LF

3. Aguilar- 3B

4. Thames- 1B/LF

5. Braun- LF/RF/1B

6. Miller- SS

8. Pitcher

9. Villar- 2B

vs LHP:

1. Cain- CF

2. Yelich- LF

3. Braun- 1B

4. Aguilar- 3B

5. Santana- RF

6. Villar- 2B

8. Pitcher

9. Arcia- SS

Et tu Brute (i.e. Kratz)? You were the President and charter member of the Kratz fan club last week.

Also, I think Santana needs to, you know, actually play at Colorado Springs to get himself righted. He earned his demotion. Make him earn a call-up.

Moves:

- DL Shaw

- Option Kratz, Sogard

vs RHP:

1. Cain- CF

2. Yelich- RF/LF

3. Aguilar- 3B

4. Thames- 1B/LF

5. Braun- LF/RF/1B

6. Miller- SS

8. Pitcher

9. Villar- 2B

vs LHP:

1. Cain- CF

2. Yelich- LF

3. Braun- 1B

4. Aguilar- 3B

5. Santana- RF

6. Villar- 2B

8. Pitcher

9. Arcia- SS

I think this is a good spot to mention, again, that Santana has been AWFUL against LHP this year. In fact, it's what has ruined his season so far because he's been OK against RHP. His OPS against righties is .767, and against lefties it's .352. His only HRs have been against RHP. His career splits are pretty close, so he's never really been a guy who needed to be platooned.

I'm not sure why he's struggling so much against LHP this year, but I don't think strictly platooning him against LHP makes any sense right now.

Moves:

- DL Shaw

- Option Kratz, Sogard

vs RHP:

1. Cain- CF

2. Yelich- RF/LF

3. Aguilar- 3B

4. Thames- 1B/LF

5. Braun- LF/RF/1B

6. Miller- SS

8. Pitcher

9. Villar- 2B

vs LHP:

1. Cain- CF

2. Yelich- LF

3. Braun- 1B

4. Aguilar- 3B

5. Santana- RF

6. Villar- 2B

8. Pitcher

9. Arcia- SS

Et tu Brute (i.e. Kratz)? You were the President and charter member of the Kratz fan club last week.

Also, I think Santana needs to, you know, actually play at Colorado Springs to get himself righted. He earned his demotion. Make him earn a call-up.

He is what he is and I want to see Nottingham get a chance. Splitting 50/50 with Pina this year and hopefully he plays well and is our full time guy come next season. Kratz is much easier to option down.

I get the Santana demotion but if Shaw is hurt, I would be all for letting Santana get a crack at some playing time. If not, call up Broxton I guess.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I like Counsell a lot, but having anyone but Cain lead off is kind of ridiculous. His OBP and speed, combined with a lack of slugging, are about as perfect as you can get for the lead-off spot. The 3-hole is overrated and Thames is not as good leading off as Cain. You waste some of his HR's because nobody is on base and his base-running is poor. A guy like Cain could miss out on an extra base because Thames is too slow in front of him.

I know the main thing is they don't want 3 lefties in a row, but I don't think that matters because of the substitutions the Brewers often make. You can just hit Thames 3rd and pull him when the opponent brings in a lefty reliever. Either Braun or Aguilar will obviously be on the bench to PH if Thames is starting, so it's taken care of by their OF/1B slugging depth.

The lineup going forward

Cain

Yelich

Aguilar

Shaw

Braun

Miller

Villar

Pina

The bench is

Thames

Saladino

Perez

Kratz

Sogard

Thames is starting against basically all RHP one way or another. He is not a bench player .

If the Brewers could somehow get Machado AND Merrifield, this lineup would be absolutely lethal.

CF Cain

RF Yelich

1B Aguilar

SS Machado

3B Shaw

2B Merrifield

LF Braun

C Pina

P

It is highly unlikely that this would happen, but a lineup like that would be nasty. An offense that potent with the shut down arms we have in the bullpen would make this Brewers team a legit World Series contender! They could field this team all while keeping Hiura, Burnes, and Peralta out of the trades altogether.

If the Brewers could somehow get Machado AND Merrifield, this lineup would be absolutely lethal.

CF Cain

RF Yelich

1B Aguilar

SS Machado

3B Shaw

2B Merrifield

LF Braun

C Pina

P

It is highly unlikely that this would happen, but a lineup like that would be nasty. An offense that potent with the shut down arms we have in the bullpen would make this Brewers team a legit World Series contender! They could field this team all while keeping Hiura, Burnes, and Peralta out of the trades altogether.

This is factually incorrect. Neither team would trade these players without adding those names much less both of them.

CF Cain

RF Yelich

1B Aguilar

SS Machado

3B Shaw

2B Merrifield

LF Braun

C Pina

P

This is factually incorrect. Neither team would trade these players without adding those names much less both of them.

I feel that there is plenty of value that could be given in each trade without including those 3.

If the Orioles are indeed looking for starting pitching close to the MLB level and/or prospects on the left side of the infield, I think a deal could get done with the Brewers acquiring Machado in exchange for:

1. RHP Brandon Woodruff

2. RHP Luis Ortiz or RHP Zack Brown

3. 3B Lucas Erceg

That would check every box that the Orioles are looking for.

Merrifield is a big asset that will require good prospects, but not the top prospects from a team either. I feel that if the Brewers wanted Merrifield, he could be had in exchange for:

1. RHP Luis Ortiz or RHP Zack Brown (whichever isn’t included in the Machado trade)

2. OF Brett Phillips

3. OF Tristen Lutz or OF Corey Ray

There are other players/prospects that could draw interest from the Orioles or Royals such as OF Domingo Santana, LHP Quintin Torres-Costa, 1B Jake Gatewood, OF Troy Stokes Jr., or C Jacob Nottingham that could be swapped in for a different prospect.

The Brewers have plenty of intriguing prospects that could be included in these trades depending on the team’s preference. The Brewers have quite a few players from that list that are rule 5 eligible after this season and will need to be protected or risk being lost for nothing anyway. They could capitalize on these types of moves by improving the MLB roster with prospects that are blocked from making it to the MLB in Milwaukee and/or losing them in the rule 5 draft anyway because of having an excess of highly skilled players left unprotected.

• 3 weeks later...
I am excited for:

CF Cain

RF Yelich

1B Aguilar

2B Shaw

LF Braun

3B Moustakas

C Pina

SS Arcia

This lineup should be fun to watch

Upgrade Pina and you really have something.

Here would be my preferred starting lineups the rest of the way...

vs. RHP

1. Christian Yelich (L) LF

2. Lorenzo Cain ® CF

3. Mike Moustakas (L) 3B

4. Jesús Aguilar ® 1B

5. Travis Shaw (L) 2B

6. Jonathan Schoop ® SS

7. Eric Thames (L) RF

8. Erik Kratz ® C / Manny Piña ® C

9. Pitcher

vs. LHP

1. Lorenzo Cain ® CF

2. Christian Yelich (L) RF

3. Jesús Aguilar ® 1B

4. Mike Moustakas (L) 3B

5. Ryan Braun ® LF

6. Jonathan Schoop ® 2B

7. Erik Kratz ® C / Manny Piña ® C

8. Orlando Arcia ® SS

9. Pitcher

Not just “at Night” anymore.

vs. LHP

1. Lorenzo Cain ® CF

3. Jesús Aguilar ® 1B

4. Mike Moustakas (L) 3B

5. Ryan Braun ® LF

6. Jonathan Schoop ® SS

8. Orlando Arcia ® SS

9. Pitcher

Gotta have somebody play 2b...

vs. LHP

1. Lorenzo Cain ® CF

3. Jesús Aguilar ® 1B

4. Mike Moustakas (L) 3B

5. Ryan Braun ® LF

6. Jonathan Schoop ® SS

8. Orlando Arcia ® SS

9. Pitcher

Gotta have somebody play 2b...

Yeah, it’s Schoop. Thanks, I fixed the typo.

But to be fair, we’ve been told traditional infield roles don’t apply to the Brewers anyway. ;)

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived