Brewer Fanatic

2018 Lineup (batting order)

TJseven7
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a big Villar backer as I believe the 2016 player is somewhere in there but if not, and Arica doesn't take the next step, and Pina regresses, our bottom half.... whoof. (as it stands now)
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If we dont sign Walker to play 2b, then I can see moving Arcia up to the 6 hole.

Cain

Yelich

Braun

Shaw

Santana

Arcia

Pina

Villar

This is what I'd go with too, maybe flipping Villar and Arcia depending on who's hot.

This looks right to me too. To START the season. Anything can change, and act accordingly. When Thames starts, put him in 5 spot, take Braun out, and bump up Shaw and Santana a spot.

If we dont sign Walker to play 2b, then I can see moving Arcia up to the 6 hole.

Cain

Yelich

Braun

Shaw

Santana

Arcia

Pina

Villar

This is what I'd go with too, maybe flipping Villar and Arcia depending on who's hot.

This looks right to me too. To START the season. Anything can change, and act accordingly. When Thames starts, put him in 5 spot, take Braun out, and bump up Shaw and Santana a spot.

Not to nitpick, but I'd argue to move yelich to the 3 hole on braun offdays. He would be our best hitter when braun isn't in the lineup. I would like to find a way to split up Shaw and Santana in the order, to avoid the high k guys back to back in run producing spots. That's easier to do if we bring in walker, you could throw him or Cain in the 5 spot with Santana 6th...tough to do without him though. Pina/Arcia aren't exactly high k guys but I wouldn't call them high contact guys either.

I know this can change but said HH had a 10% chance of Walker being our 2B... I think Arcia would be a great #6 hitter.

Especially since seeing this projection for him.... 598 AB 18 HR 18 SB .280 AVG .333 OBP .441 SLG

Cain

Yelich

Braun

Shaw

Santana

Arcia

Pina

Villar

• 4 weeks later...

This is how I hope Craig Counsell pencils it in:

* Bats Left

1. OF Lorenzo Cain

2. OF Christian Yelich*

3. 1B Ryan Braun

4. 3B Travis Shaw*

5. OF Domingo Santana

6. 2B Hernan Perez/Jonathan Villar**

7. SS Orlando Arcia

8. C Manny Pina

Also, I like Vogt* as Pina's platoon partner once healthy.

I like this lineup, however MLB.COM doesn't have Brewers listed in Top 10 lineups entering 2018, with the Cardinals(#9) and A's(#10) in the Top 10.

I think the Brewers should be at least above them, if not even higher then the Dodgers(#7) and the Twins (#8)

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-10-mlb-lineups-for-2018/c-269228496

Thoughts?

I don't like Villar leading off for that reason alone.

I like this lineup, I just wish we could bat Cain 2nd or 3rd. If Cain is going to make an out with men on base it more then likely will be a productive out. When you lead off an out is an out. The only time he will have men on is when the bottom of the order and pitcher are doing something.

I'd like to utilize all of Cain's potential. How many times did we see a leadoff single or double go to waste last year?

I almost prefer this line up

1. OF Yelich

2. 1B Braun

3. OF Cain

4. 3B Shaw

5. OF Santana

6. SS Arcia

7. C Pina

8. 2B Perez/ Villar

Just my opinion. If Arcia continues were he left off last year I like him at 6. As long as he keeps his strikeouts down, we don't need back to back huge strikeout potential guys. (Santana and Arcia)

I do think this is a top 10 offense on paper and gauging what they will do this year based on their careers and last year. Hopefully they all perform up to their beliefs in themselves. This could be close to a top 5 offense. I LOVE our starting lineup. Just hope Craig utilizes them to their maximum capabilities. We have a pretty decent bench too. Depth and skill wise.

I like Villar/Sogard 9th. More chances to have guys on base for the top-heavy lineup later in the game. Gets your best PH to the plate earlier too.

Pina is a quintessential #7 IMO. Occasional sac fly or double with the middle of the order on base, but probably not a great OBP and not likely to advance when the pitcher hits anyway. The 7 hole is kind of the poor man's version of a clean-up man.

Arcia could be huge. It seems he has a little Segura/Gomez in him at the plate. Those guys looked terrible early in their careers and grounded out all the time too, but they had some hit tools.

Top 5 are beastly. I don't see the Cardinals ahead of them. Not quite buying the career years from some of their guys last year.

I like Villar/Sogard 9th. More chances to have guys on base for the top-heavy lineup later in the game. Gets your best PH to the plate earlier too.

Pina is a quintessential #7 IMO. Occasional sac fly or double with the middle of the order on base, but probably not a great OBP and not likely to advance when the pitcher hits anyway. The 7 hole is kind of the poor man's version of a clean-up man.

Arcia could be huge. It seems he has a little Segura/Gomez in him at the plate. Those guys looked terrible early in their careers and grounded out all the time too, but they had some hit tools.

Top 5 are beastly. I don't see the Cardinals ahead of them. Not quite buying the career years from some of their guys last year.

If Villar reverted back to 2016, and the rest of the guys produced like last year, OMG can you imagine!!

If Villar reverted back to 2016, and the rest of the guys produced like last year, OMG can you imagine!!

1. CF Lorenzo Cain

2. LF Christian Yelich

3. 1B Ryan Braun

4. 3B Travis Shaw

5. RF Domingo Santana

6. C Manny Pina

7. SS Orlando Arcia

8. 2B Jonathan Villar

This should be the everyday lineup most days. I really hope Counsell doesn't get cute and decide that Sogard or Villar should bat leadoff.

If ever a lineup screamed to have the pitcher batting 8th, it would be this one.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Cain

Yelich

Braun

Shaw

Santana

Pina

Villar

Arcia

P

Don't want villar batting 8th and chasing crap infront of the pitcher spot. I'd accept 9th. Kinda like the speed duo at the 7-8 spots in the hope that we actually have guys on base to prompt our pitcher to bunt.

They better be ready to score 7 runs a game

Haha, they won't average 7, but I think this offense is gonna be really fun to watch. We are never going to be out of games...well I should wait and see how the rotation and bullpen pitch before I say that. But you know what I mean

I want to have an offense kinda like last year, where we score early and often. I believe we led the league in runs scored in the first inning?

Any solid analytics on pitcher hitting 8th vs 9th? My initial reaction has always been you increase the odds pitchers spot is up one inning earlier when you get to that 6th inning or so. Could be forced to make a decision one inning earlier and pull the starter. Just seems that scenario would happen often enough.

Any solid analytics on pitcher hitting 8th vs 9th? My initial reaction has always been you increase the odds pitchers spot is up one inning earlier when you get to that 6th inning or so. Could be forced to make a decision one inning earlier and pull the starter. Just seems that scenario would happen often enough.

The 8 spot comes up more often with two out and none on more than any other spot in the order, except third.

It's worth about ten runs a year to swap them, but that assumes the team uses an optimal lineup otherwise.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

The 8 spot comes up more often with two out and none on more than any other spot in the order, except third.

It's worth about ten runs a year to swap them, but that assumes the team uses an optimal lineup otherwise.

So bat the pitcher 3rd.:)

Archived