Yelich

Braun

Shaw

Thames

Villar

Pina

Arcia

Bench: Phillips, Perez, Sogard, Aguilar, Vogt

Phillips should get a lot of starts with Braun's injury history, and Aguilar can platoon with Thames.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uh oh, lol:

Stephen Watson @WISN_Watson

Ryan Braun said he’s open to conversations about playing first base and even has talked with David Stearns about second base as well #Brewers

[sarcasm]Game changer.[/sarcasm] Can you imagine that lineup though, lol.

Until he is traded I will include Santana in my projected batting order. With the idea of Braun successfully transitioning to play some 1B here is what my optimal batting orders would look like:

vs. RHP

Cain – CF

Yelich – LF

Braun/Santana – RF

Thames – 1B

Shaw – 3B

Vogt – C

Villar/Sogard (or Free Agent) – 2B

Pitcher

Arcia - SS

vs. LHP

Cain – CF

Yelich – LF

Braun – 1B

Santana – RF

Shaw – 3B

Pina – C

Villar (or Free Agent) – 2B

Pitcher

Arcia

If Pina was in the lineup at 1B versus LHP I would swap him to the #4 spot and Santana up to the #3 spot.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Where is the top of this batting order? I can't do Thames Villar again guys. I just can't.

FIXED

The Marlins aren't trading Yelich.

LOL - Hate when that happens.

This post. Agreed.

DOUBLE WHOOPS

It's crazy to read back through this thread and see how much changed in about an hour yesterday.

For the lineup, I still think CC likes alternating R/L which leads me to think as it stands now:

Cain

Yelich

Braun

Shaw

My comment was made *before* Stanton was traded, *before* Ozuna was traded, *before* Miami said after all that they're not trading Yelich and want to build around him, *before* Yelich responded to that comment by crying to the public then having his agent cry to the public about how his friends were gone and he doesn't want to be on a rebuilding team that won't be competitive, which was the *only* reason he was traded.

LOL hate when that (*context*) happens

If Santana is traded Cain should be 5

Why should Cain bat 5? The whole point is to get guys on base for the hr hitters. You dont want cain behind yelich braun thames and shaw.

All the people pushing guys like villar and arcia up the order are mussing the point. We had our obp guys like thames santana last year bat up the order but they were also great hr hitters. Now we have cain and yelich who hit some hr but gdt on base at a high clip. You 1-2 that and fill in accordingly behind it with our power.

Why should Cain bat 5? The whole point is to get guys on base for the hr hitters. You dont want cain behind yelich braun thames and shaw.

All the people pushing guys like villar and arcia up the order are mussing the point. We had our obp guys like thames santana last year bat up the order but they were also great hr hitters. Now we have cain and yelich who hit some hr but gdt on base at a high clip. You 1-2 that and fill in accordingly behind it with our power.

Having a contact guy like Cain 5th makes some sense. You want to stagger your productive guys with high k rates, the argument against batting a Shaw/Santana/Thames type of combo.

My order would be Cain/Yelich/Braun/Shaw/Walker/Pina/Phillips/Arcia. I know I cheated and grabbed Walker which makes every lineup combo easier, but with the moves we've made I imagine we likely switch out Villar for an upgrade. You could also easily move Yelich leadoff and bat Walker 2nd with Cain 5th.

• 3 weeks later...

When MLB Network was doing its Top 100 list this past week, Billy Ripken brought up a very good point re: Yelich.

Billy noted that Jim Leyland had Yelich hit 3rd on team USA last spring in the WBC over guys like Buster Posey, Adam Jones & Paul Goldschmidt.

Using that recognition, perhaps it is time that Braun leaves the 3 hole. Alternating Lefties & Righties thru the meat of the order, the line up could go:

2- Cain

3- Yelich

4- Braun/ D Santana

5- Shaw

6- other of Braun/ D Santana

It could depend on what Villar shows up this year.

Good Villar:

Villar

Yelich

Braun

Shaw

Cain

Santana

Otherwise:

Cain

Yelich

Braun

Shaw

Santana

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

No reason for Villar to be at the top right now

Cain

Yelich

Braun

Shaw

Santana

Seems almost guaranteed. If the team signs Walker he could be in there as well but it could still go Walker, Pina, Arcia. I really want Walker. Washington has the best NL OPS last year at .782. This Brewers lineup would have 6 out of 8 regulars who were above that and four bench bats in Thames, Vogt, Phillips and Aguilar who were above that. The two regulars who would be below are Pina and Arcia (750 and 730 respectively). Sogard was just below as well. This a very balanced lineup. Only Santana really strikes out a lot. I have seen Shaw mentioned as someone who strikes out a lot but he had a lot of at bats. His strike out rate wasnt much different than Kris Bryant (granted Bryant is an elite hitter where Shaw is just really good).

Good Villar:

Villar

Yelich

Braun

Shaw

Cain

Santana

Otherwise:

Cain

Yelich

Braun

Shaw

Santana

There will be no point at which I'd trust villar to be good villar or even stay good villar in the 2018 season. He can fight his way up to 6th. If he bats in the top 5 there better be a rest day or an injury.

Good Villar:

Villar

Yelich

Braun

Shaw

Cain

Santana

Otherwise:

Cain

Yelich

Braun

Shaw

Santana

There will be no point at which I'd trust villar to be good villar or even stay good villar in the 2018 season. He can fight his way up to 6th. If he bats in the top 5 there better be a rest day or an injury.

Silly statement. If and it’s a huge IF, Villar plays at 2016 level where he’s getting on base 37% of the time it would be silly to not use that table setting presence on top of your lineup. Speed puts pressure on the D and creates runs which he was one of the best at that in 2016. Chances are that 2016 was a fluke but if not, it’s a game changer for this lineup.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

And he can prove it at 6th... 1 month 2 months 3 months it could appear and vanish at any time.

Cain is proven. Broxton and villar are proven to be streaky. If villar gets hot he can drive in runs at 6th and effect the D to get pina arcia rbis.

And he can prove it at 6th... 1 month 2 months 3 months it could appear and vanish at any time.

Cain is proven. Broxton and villar are proven to be streaky.

This thread ain’t titled opening day lineup there buddy. It’s why if the 2016 Villar shows up, it makes a lot of sense to get him on top.

And I'm saying at no point would I put him near the top of the lineup unless you count 9th near the top. I don't care if 2016 shows up for a week or a month or longer... he's made it so that expectations should be, it won't last. You don't pull a proven batter out of the leadoff spot to try a streaky dude there again. Bat him 9th. Bat him 6th. If the AS shows back up he can be valuable there too. Im not taking a professional hitters abs away to give him more. My biggest wish for the offseason is that we'd never kill our offense with junk at 1-2 again. Cain Yelich done.. villar arcia couldn't do enough to make me flinch.

Cain adds speed with his OB hitting. Easy 1. Stated this earlier in thread. Yelich notoriously has a low launch angle but hits it hard as a Lefty. Hit and Run/use that to advantage with man on 1b larger open field to hit to.

There's no reason to bat Santana 6 if he remains on the team and put Villar #1. I really believe by the numbers and ages Santana should bat 3rd, Shaw 4th, Braun 5th followed by whomever at that point Walker would fit well there, Pina seems nice to put there with Vogt Platoon. 2b then Arcia. You basically have a full split R/L for 8 bats depending on Platoon.

But that's with Santana remaining on team. Remove him and Braun stays at 3. 1b platoon to 5.

I'd think the days you meddle with Villar atop the order are Braun days off then w/o Santana Cain 2, Yelich 3, Shaw, Aguilar, Phillips etc.

just a few more days til ST games, we'll see shortly!

Cain

Arcia

Yelich

Braun

Shaw

Santana

Villar

Pina

Anyone against this lineup - I want to move Arcia up in the lineup

Yes, Arcia hasn't shown to be one of the top 5 hitters on this team. Could he get there, absolutely. But no way is he better than Yelich or Braun as 2nd, or better then Shaw or Santana as 3, 4, or 5.

Archived