Brewer Fanatic

Deal done with Jeffress - 1-year deal with two option years

markedman5

I also think you generally discount Jeffress as a pitcher. Sure he's losing a little velocity, but he still can hit mid 90s consistently. He's also developing that split fingered pitch and threw it 16% of the time last year after hardly throwing it at all previously. Having that pitch should make the velocity he has play up a bit in theory. Plenty of guys reinvent themselves to some degree later in their career as their velocity dips.

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Francisco+Rodriguez+St+Louis+Cardinals+v+Milwaukee+U3gnFeinFjol.jpg

Went from a high velocity fastball/slider reliever to a lower velocity/changeup reliever and remained very productive. Maybe Jeffress won't be able to develop a similar deadly split fingered change like Rodriguez did, but relievers in general outside of the few elite ones tend to be fickle bunch and every year new guys emerge to be sub-3 ERA with good secondary numbers.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How good is this this deal looking now? Seriously not just for the big bang for your buck price but the option years really make this phenomenal.

Brewers have the option for another year of control in 2019 for just over 3M. Obviously a lot of season left but right now that's a no brainer. There's another team option in 2020 for 4.3M. Again, obviously horse way before the cart but it's great to have 3 years control. I can't explain why Jeffress pitches so much better as a Brewer but I don't really care.

One of the great parts about this pen is that it's going to be a long-term unit. Knebel, Hader, Barnes, and Williams are all under control for a long time. Jeffress is controlled through 2020. Albers and Jennings through 2020. There isn't a single one here that we are going to lose after this year.

Structurally he can make 2.2 mil each year in incentives. JJ put his personal well being above all else. I can shed some insight on why milwaukee works.

1. They drafted him

2. They never gave up on him despite off field issues

3. His entire sobriety network was set up and run by mil staff. Mlb would not allow last I had asked to let mil dr treat jj while a member of another club which is bs. But story for dif day.

4. Fans NEVER gave up here. Check how it went elsewhere

5. The city took him in and embraced him as a person.

6. Security of a deal. In a vacuum do we do this deal? No. Never. But given everything JJ faced he got alot of what he wanted. Life changing $? A multi year commitment despite the fact the club COULD decline options put his mind to rest that mil is finally home. I view the options as so valuable theyre almost impossible to decline (barring injury) which is the real thorny part of the deal that was bitter to swallow.

7. Most importantly, he really gets to be himself and he hasnt been able to find that elsewhere.

Unfortunate that MLB doesn't allow the player choose whatever doctor they want, especially when it comes to addiction.

At first glance the deal certainly seems to favor Milwaukee but as you said if he performs well he will be able to earn some well deserved incentives and he is well on his way to reaching them this year.

Structurally he can make 2.2 mil each year in incentives. JJ put his personal well being above all else. I can shed some insight on why milwaukee works.

1. They drafted him

2. They never gave up on him despite off field issues

3. His entire sobriety network was set up and run by mil staff. Mlb would not allow last I had asked to let mil dr treat jj while a member of another club which is bs. But story for dif day.

4. Fans NEVER gave up here. Check how it went elsewhere

5. The city took him in and embraced him as a person.

6. Security of a deal. In a vacuum do we do this deal? No. Never. But given everything JJ faced he got alot of what he wanted. Life changing $? A multi year commitment despite the fact the club COULD decline options put his mind to rest that mil is finally home. I view the options as so valuable theyre almost impossible to decline (barring injury) which is the real thorny part of the deal that was bitter to swallow.

7. Most importantly, he really gets to be himself and he hasnt been able to find that elsewhere.

I love this guy, both the player and you as a poster. thank you for being vocal for your players, especially those who play for the team we love. So glad he ended up back with the club, JJ is electric to watch.

also, #3, was it a dr in milwaukee, or a doctor employed by the franchise? I could see the second option being an issue, but if it was the first option... that makes no sense.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

If you spend enough time on this site you might come away with the impression that players are robots who will perform the same in any situation or context and that physical ability is the sole determinant of performance.

So much that goes on outside of the lines has a lot to do with performance between the lines.

Agent39, do you find that some young men in baseball put money above personal happiness?

Isn't this common in just about every profession?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Agent39, do you find that some young men in baseball put money above personal happiness?

Yes but that wouldnt be honest if I said thats the only reason why jj did what he did. People dont seem to realize what free agency in 2018 would have looked like for jj. Mil gave him a chance to make the most money AND stay home. It isnt perfect but jj is thrilled and really I did my job. His wish list was to max out $ while trying to stay in Mil ultimately he made final call. I support him

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Yes but that wouldnt be honest if I said thats the only reason why jj did what he did. People dont seem to realize what free agency in 2018 would have looked like for jj. Mil gave him a chance to make the most money AND stay home. It isnt perfect but jj is thrilled and really I did my job. His wish list was to max out $ while trying to stay in Mil ultimately he made final call. I support him

Well thank you for supporting that decision. Jeffress has been absolutely electric so far this season, and dare I say, his secondary stuff has looked better than during his time a couple years ago as the team's primary closer. He's still slinging it in the mid to upper 90s, but that curve when it's on is knee-buckling. His enthusiasm, passion and attitude is a great fit for this team's chemistry as well. He seems to be very well liked, and it appears that he's taken on a leadership role out in the pen. His attitude of "just give me the ball whenever, and I'll help the team" seems to be contagious.

I'm not trying to cherry pick but I am curious to know if you've ever seen or been a part of a "perfect" deal for a player and/or the club?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• 4 months later...
In looking at the excellent numbers that Jeffress has put up this year I noticed he is at 249 career games with the Brewers. One more and he automatically qualifies for the Brewers Wall of Honor. Something to look for when he hopefully closes out the game tonight.

Going back on these trade and signing threads is a huge reason I come to this site. Everyone has their opinions and rightfully so but it's interesting to see people dig their heels in so adamantly on some of these topics and then disappear from the thread altogether when they're proven wrong. This thread is particularly interesting given both Hughes and JJ have both worked out so well as FA's.

If i am doing this correctly (using Cot's), JJ has earned $100k for games finished and $450k for innings pitched. If he gets to 25 games finished he will earn another $100k and 80 IP garners $250k + more if he goes beyond those.

His base pay is $1.7M so he has now earned $2.25M - quite a bargain for the Brewers (although not bad compared to my salary).

Archived