Brewer Fanatic

Christian Yelich

I just don't see the value in Yelich. If we are going to give up prospects of that caliber, it should be for a rotation upgrade.

He's been a 4.5 WAR player 3 of the last 4 years and is cheap and controlled. He probably becomes our best position player the moment the trade goes through.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just don't see the value in Yelich. If we are going to give up prospects of that caliber, it should be for a rotation upgrade.

He's been a 4.5 WAR player 3 of the last 4 years and is cheap and controlled. He probably becomes our best position player the moment the trade goes through.

But is he really worth Brinson + Ortiz + Diaz? I don't see him as that valuable. I personally don't even want to give up Brinson for him. And think about the pitcher we coudl get for that package, or even less than that package. Probably someone more valuable than Yelich...

Yelich is very good but also overrated (and likely overpriced). Yes he's had three 4.5 fWAR seasons but that is in large part due to averaging 660+ PA (something it's hard to count on going forward). The Centerfield WAR positional adjustment is also broken, IMHO.

Obviously he would be a huge add, but I'd much rather have Archer (or Kipnis and Salazar)

But is he really worth Brinson + Ortiz + Diaz? I don't see him as that valuable. I personally don't even want to give up Brinson for him. And think about the pitcher we coudl get for that package, or even less than that package. Probably someone more valuable than Yelich...

Add in the fact that he cost way more than Brinson over the next few years. I get that $7 million this year and even the increased rates are peanuts to what he's worth, but even this year we lose significant payroll flexibility with this move. It will be more difficult to add starting pitching, also removes other potential trade chips.

Yelich would be a monster in Miller Park, whether he be playing CF or RF.

He's also the ideal type of hitter for the lineup. I could see sending a prospect haul for him and pushing to upgrade the rotation with one of the remaining FA pitchers after Darvish gets his contract.

Hell yes!

Add Yelich, then sign Arrieta, Lynn or Cobb.

In Fangraphs 2017 Trade Value Series (which takes into account contract dollars and years of control) they had him ranked at 27th in trade value among all players in baseball (including prospects). The cost to obtain him will be very high, and would almost certainly include Brinson among others.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Yelich is what Brinson would hopefully be and is easily worth more. The odds are slim Brinson will even be as good as Yelich, let alone better.

And I like Brinson and would hope to get Yelich without giving him up (unlikely) but Yelich has already proven to be really good

Yelich is what Brinson would hopefully be and is easily worth more. The odds are slim Brinson will even be as good as Yelich, let alone better.

And I like Brinson and would hope to get Yelich without giving him up (unlikely) but Yelich has already proven to be really good

How many times has Yelich posted a 30/30 season? Heck how many times has he even done one of those? Brinson is also far and away the superior defender. If Brinson can make enough contact to hit 270-280, he'll be light years ahead of Yelich and a legit superstar.

How many times has Yelich posted a 30/30 season? Heck how many times has he even done one of those? Brinson is also far and away the superior defender. If Brinson can make enough contact to hit 270-280, he'll be light years ahead of Yelich and a legit superstar.

And when has Brinson? I dont understand.

He could be. Odds are he won’t be a superstar though (not every top 20 prospect pans out.

You also forgot to mention if he stays healthy too.

And the only If with Yelich is IF he is traded for, since he’s already shown to be a very good player.

how many seasons of an OPS+ of 120 and 145 games played (Yelich career averages other than fewer games as a rookie) has Brinson had?

A trade for Yelich is one of my least desired off-season moves of the possiblities floated to this point.

Funny. I'm the exact opposite.

If Yelich played second, I'd be more excited.

If Yelich played second, he'd be an MVP-level player.

He's better than any player the Brewers have, he's on a bargain contract, and he has several years of team control. As others have said, we should hope Brinson becomes as good as Yelich currently is.

When the Braves inquired about getting Yelich, the Marlins reportedly said any deal started with Ronald Acuna. I think Brinson could be somewhat equivalent to Yelich, so this deal wouldn't make much sense by itself. But that is the thing: You can't take any singular transaction and isolate it. You have to see what other moves the Crew makes before analyzing.

Yelich in Miller Park could produce at a Braun in his prime level. Granted I don't see a 41 HR 2012 season, but I could definitely see Braun's average season of 2009-2011 (.318/.382 32 HR 115 RBI).

Make this deal happen

Yeah, I really don't see that as being crazy. With better defense most likely.

And when has Brinson? I dont understand.

Do a bit of prospect research and you'll see that as his upside pretty much everywhere. The tools are there, it's just a matter of hitting enough.

I guess I hadn't picked up on Yelich's defense being below average. The metrics say it is - BPro's FRAA in particular. I haven't noticed it watching him myself, though I haven't watched him in the field a whole lot, either. If he can't play CF competently, that brings down his value a notch, especially if Santana and Braun are still on the team.

Bolded for effect. Also, it's not how many times Yelich has gone 30/30. It's the amount of times he's had 170+ hit seasons already.

Yelich is 2.5 years older than Brinson and has over 2,800 MLB plate appearances under his belt already. I am a huge fan of Lewis Brinson, but I would have a hard time arguing in favor of the unknown in this instance. Brinson may end up being a better player than Yelich, but the probabilities would suggest otherwise.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived