Brewer Fanatic

Christian Yelich

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yelich would be a great add, but that goes for like 15 teams also.

I read that the Marlins would prefer to to get players closer to the MLB (like Brinson).

That's really surprising to me if true. Really doesn't make sense. The Marlins are in total teardown mode. I would think they'd want high ceiling prospects at low levels, not someone that could start opening day at the MLB level this year.

Yelich has to also know his pitch selection coming this season will be awful. Why throw anything but garbage to him, what are you going to fear in Miami's leftover lineup? It's not that Yelich will lay down playing for Miami, it's that he'll be on a bad lineup team....I guess the good thing going for him is that he's not an Elite HR hitter so pitching to him you're giving up doubles, I suppose there's at bats to pitch him vs around.

I don't buy this at all, I don't think that's how it works really. Jose Abreu hit very well and didn't have an absurd walk rate, and that guy has far worse players protecting him than Yelich will. That lineup still has Realmuto, Bour, and to a lesser degree Castro, those 4 will probably form a 1-4 for the Marlins with Yelich hitting 1 or 2. That's plenty of protection if you buy into the "throw garbage" theory, but really that theory is nonsense for most of the season and only really applies in the playoffs or other very specific situations.

Don't forget the Marlins also have Garrett Cooper. who hit a nifty .326/.333/.488 in his brief trial for the Yankees after tearing it up at Colorado Springs. He may see some action in a corner OF spot for the Marlins in addition to doing some platooning with Bour. I'm looking forward to seeing what Cooper can do with a full major league season. I have a sneaking suspicion that he'll make the deal Stearns made with Yankees look even worse than it does now. If he gets 400-500 AB's I think he just might get some ROY consideration.

And the Yankees were so impressed with Cooper that they packaged him with a pretty intriguing reliever for a 22 year old 12th round starter in A ball who is well outside their top 30 prospects.

Cooper is a complete nothing burger right now as far as value goes and there was no bad deal made here by Stearns. It was two teams trading organizational surplus to try to patch a short term hole. If we hadn't traded him then he'd have been exposed in the Rule 5 last month anyway.

Cooper is this years Jason rogers...in other words a journeyman 1b who only one person cares about the brewers losing at this point on this board.

I wouldn't say that. I think Cooper would have been a nice player to hold onto if we knew we were moving Thames or Aguilar. I'm not saddened by the move but for what we got in return, right now it doesn't look like a great move.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Cooper is this years Jason rogers...in other words a journeyman 1b who only one person cares about the brewers losing at this point on this board.

I wouldn't say that. I think Cooper would have been a nice player to hold onto if we knew we were moving Thames or Aguilar. I'm not saddened by the move but for what we got in return, right now it doesn't look like a great move.

When you look up"AAAA Player" in the encyclopedia, it is accompanied by a photo of Garrett Cooper. He is never going to be anything more than a replacement-level 1B at the MLB level. If he had more power, he would be much more valuable. But at this point, he is what he is ... which is a player that optimistically may provide a .275 average and 10-15 HRs if given 500 ABs. As a 1B, that isn't going to cut it.

The Brewers have had a few of these types over the years ... Travis Hinton, Brad Nelson, Kevin Barker, Sean Berry. Role players at best. Most teams can do better at 1B.

Not sure how knowledgeable this guy is but........

McCalvy quoted it in a tweet of his own, for me that provides significantly more credibility. A trade for Yelich is one of my least desired off-season moves of the possiblities floated to this point.

It is one of my most desired. Yelich is what I pray Brinson or Phillips will turn into, a .300, 25 HR, .375-.400 OBP player. It will likely take one of them, but if somehow the Brewers could have a trade centered around Santana for Yelich, I am all in.

McCalvy quoted it in a tweet of his own, for me that provides significantly more credibility. A trade for Yelich is one of my least desired off-season moves of the possiblities floated to this point.

I respectfully disagree. Yelich is young, really good, cheap, and controlled through 2022. Obviously final judgments should be reserved until the cost is revealed, but I think he would be a fantastic addition.

You also have to wonder how much his bat improves moving to MP.

It is one of my most desired. Yelich is what I pray Brinson or Phillips will turn into, a .300, 25 HR, .375-.400 OBP player. It will likely take one of them, but if somehow the Brewers could have a trade centered around Santana for Yelich, I am all in.

Agreed, especially when you consider he's a nice upgrade on defense too (and a lefty).

Agreed, especially when you consider he's a nice upgrade on defense too (and a lefty).

He's not much of a centerfielder, but I'd still leave him there where his bat is premium. Defense can fluctuate pretty greatly year-to-year.

Braun/Yelich/Santana is a great hitting outfield but the defense could be pretty bad.

I guess that makes a little sense, as Santana could potentially serve as sort of a "Stanton-lite", but then again, it's odd. If a trade happens, I would guess it's going to be for young prospects, not Santana.

Leaving no rock unturned. Love the process Stearns is going through. Or at least what it seems to be the process from rumors reported.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

One side note, Brinson grew up a Marlins fan and has said OF Juan Pierre was his favorite player growing up. I am sure his acquisition could lead to a slight bit of good PR (local kid comes home) for the Marlins during their current roster deconstruction.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

I would go as high as Brinson+Ortiz+Diaz. I think that would be my best offer.

Without knowing the Marlins desires, I would start with Santana+Ortiz+Diaz. Would love to see an OF with Braun-Brinson/Phillips-Yelich at some point. I would also be comfortable with Adam's offer just don't want to lose Brinson if possible.

I just don't see the value in Yelich. If we are going to give up prospects of that caliber, it should be for a rotation upgrade.

I don't think you're crazy or anything. I kind of agree, I'd rather see that, but at the same time, Yelich has the potential to be a 6 WAR CF. He's just entering his prime and he's cheap. That's exciting to me.

Even if you make him a 20 WAR player over 5 years that's some pretty serious value for under $60,000,000.

Archived