Brewer Fanatic

Christian Yelich

Yelich for Brinson, Phillips + or Broxton+. The Brewers would have a proven lead off hitter and CF for years to come.

Rather see if they are interested in Quantity over Quality.

Ray/Ortiz/Supak/Nottingham

If that's the best offer the Marlins can get for Yelich, Jeter might as well just pack up the franchise and move it somewhere else.

Nottingham and Ray have the potential to regain their high prospect status, but there's a good chance that that entire group of 4 barely makes a dent in the majors.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yelich for Brinson, Phillips + or Broxton+. The Brewers would have a proven lead off hitter and CF for years to come.

Rather see if they are interested in Quantity over Quality.

Ray/Ortiz/Supak/Nottingham

If that's the best offer the Marlins can get for Yelich, Jeter might as well just pack up the franchise and move it somewhere else.

I'd tend to agree. You can't look at a trade by "what spare parts can I dump on this guy and disguise as talent". What guys would you want if you were making a trade with us? I'm personally looking at some more recently drafted guys lower on our list. Lutz, Ernesto, pennington, herrera to go along with at least one of the top 3 and one of the next tier. If I'm the Marlins, my lowest asking price would be one of the big 3(brinson, hiura, burnes) one or two of harrison/ortiz/peralta/erceg/diaz and probably one or two of the fliers I listed above. I have no interest paying that for Yelich, but that's probably what the ask is and roughly what they'll get from someone. We aren't going to be able to throw a bunch of guys like Ponce, Supak, Ray, Grisham, Bickford, etc at them and get the deal done.

When the Marlins are asking for Acuna as a starting point for Yelich from the Braves... walk away.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Even if it isn't true, I'll play...

Brewers acquire Christian Yelich and Kyle Barraclough

Marlins acquire Lewis Brinson and Luis Ortiz

If the Marlins are looking for a top prospect like Acuna, then I will give you Brinson. I want an 8th inning guy to get to Knebel and Ortiz, still a top 100 prospect, for Barraclough feels about right.

Not saying it is enough or right but that is my offer.

I have absolutely no clue who this guy is but figured it was worth mentioning given who is conversing with in the comments (Brew Crew Ball staff).

So Yelichs name was brought in conversation. How about who was the main conversation piece before his name was brought up?

https://www.fishstripes.com/2018/1/17/16900696/do-you-want-christian-yelich-trade-rumors-miami-marlins

Marlins fans don't want him.

I wouldn't blink twice about sending Brinson straight up for Yelich. Make this trade easy for the Marlins. You know they don't really want Starlin Castro either and he would take care of 2nd base too.

I would like to see a trade of Brewers getting Yelich, Realmuto, Castro and Barraclough. Marlins get Brinson, Santana, Ortiz and Grisham.

This trade is definitely fair enough for Miami.

Even if it isn't true, I'll play...

Brewers acquire Christian Yelich and Kyle Barraclough

Marlins acquire Lewis Brinson and Luis Ortiz

If the Marlins are looking for a top prospect like Acuna, then I will give you Brinson. I want an 8th inning guy to get to Knebel and Ortiz, still a top 100 prospect, for Barraclough feels about right.

Not saying it is enough or right but that is my offer.

That seems like a pretty fair deal, but FWIW I would guess the Marlins value Acuna far more than Brinson. Not only is Acuna the better prospect but also much younger, someone the Marlins can take their time with for a couple years in the farm while Brinson is basically at the point of heading straight to MLB.

Adding Yelich and Walker would transform this lineup into something pretty special. Especially if we can get a healthy season out of Braun.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

We aren’t getting him for Brinson and Ortiz...it would take more. I’d expect at least three quite intriguing prospects to nab him. Now part of his value will be lessened because you will have to pay him some big chunks of change in the later years, but he is a 5+ WAR talent and the oldest year will be 31? Wow.

I mean what is best case for Lewis Brinson? 6 years at that production? And that is highly unlikely to happen. You are essentially deciding to pay a little bit and give up one decent prospect for the sure thing 5+ WAR guy. That would be a no brainer trade for Milwaukee. Highway robbery.

The more I look into Yelich the more I really want him. Realmuto's good but I just think paying for catchers is a waste. Even the best catchers are still average hitters compared to everyone else. Replacing Pina/Vogt with Reamuto just doesn't improve that lineup that much for what it will take to get him. If Walker isn't going to be resigned, a Yelich and Castro deal just seems like too much sense for both teams.

We aren’t getting him for Brinson and Ortiz...it would take more. I’d expect at least three quite intriguing prospects to nab him. Now part of his value will be lessened because you will have to pay him some big chunks of change in the later years, but he is a 5+ WAR talent and the oldest year will be 31? Wow.

I mean what is best case for Lewis Brinson? 6 years at that production? And that is highly unlikely to happen. You are essentially deciding to pay a little bit and give up one decent prospect for the sure thing 5+ WAR guy. That would be a no brainer trade for Milwaukee. Highway robbery.

Miami has no leverage in this situation. Either they take what they can get from him or have a guy on the team who has zero interest playing there and drags them down. A guy with the upside of Yelich and a good pitching prospect should be enough to have a good shot to get him IMO. Throw a flier or two in there with upside R/R if needed to get it over the top. If it isn't, perhaps Brewer fans are overvaluing our supposed excellent farm system. They can beg for Acuna all they want but they aren't getting him.

Miami has no leverage in this situation. Either they take what they can get from him or have a guy on the team who has zero interest playing there and drags them down. A guy with the upside of Yelich and a good pitching prospect should be enough to have a good shot to get him IMO. Throw a flier or two in there with upside R/R if needed to get it over the top. If it isn't, perhaps Brewer fans are overvaluing our supposed excellent farm system. They can beg for Acuna all they want but they aren't getting him.

Yelich can make claims of being unhappy and wanting a trade, but I think this whole Miami has no leverage thing is wildly overblown. They have significant team control, and Yelich is a professional and isn't about to start coasting for that reason alone. It would also hurt him financially on his next contract if he did...he's not to the pujols stage of his career where he can put on bad weight and coast to the hall of fame. Miami has plenty of time to wait for what they deem to be a reasonable offer.

Yelich can make claims of being unhappy and wanting a trade, but I think this whole Miami has no leverage thing is wildly overblown. They have significant team control, and Yelich is a professional and isn't about to start coasting for that reason alone. It would also hurt him financially on his next contract if he did...he's not to the pujols stage of his career where he can put on bad weight and coast to the hall of fame. Miami has plenty of time to wait for what they deem to be a reasonable offer.

Agreed. Miami would be stupid to sell Yelich cheap just to have him off their hands. He's really good, not expensive, and controllable. Miami has plenty of leverage. If they don't like the offers on the table, they wait. Yelich has no say in the matter. If he values his professional baseball career, which I'm sure he does, he has little choice but to show up to work and do his best while he waits. Anything less will just make it harder for him to get his trade.

Yelich will be moved before the season starts. Miami is simply doing what they should, trying to get the most they can for him.

Brinson doesn't make as such sense as guys lower down the chain. Hiura and Harrison would be more like what they're looking for.

Yelich has to also know his pitch selection coming this season will be awful. Why throw anything but garbage to him, what are you going to fear in Miami's leftover lineup? It's not that Yelich will lay down playing for Miami, it's that he'll be on a bad lineup team....I guess the good thing going for him is that he's not an Elite HR hitter so pitching to him you're giving up doubles, I suppose there's at bats to pitch him vs around.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Christian Yelich is a really good player who will only improve by getting out of Miami's pitcher friendly ballpark. However, he's cheap and young and controllable - so he'll cost a ton. Still, the Brewers are idiots if they didn't check in on him. The Brewers should, literally, be checking in on anyone who might help this club. Perhaps something doesn't fit now, but who knows next week or next month. That our name is coming up attached to lots of players, thus, makes total sense.

Yelich would be a perfect fit for the Brewer lineup but I strongly question if he's really worth the three (or more) good prospects it would likely take to land him. The metrics say he's not a great centerfielder. DRS from 2015-2017 as a centerfielder are -5, 0, -6 and UZR/150 over that timeframe are -17.4, -8.6. -0.6. Last year he played centerfield but before that was primarily a left fielder where the defensive metrics were much, much better (prior to 2017 he had 3500+ innings as a left fielder and only about 650 as a centerfielder). Three year splits have him as a .293/.371/.447/.818 hitter. Love how that OBP would play in the Brewer lineup but the lack of true mashing ability for a guy who might be best in left field is a bit of a concern. I would definitely like to see Yelich in a Brewer uniform, but at the same time would have little interest in trading for him because of the amount of the investment that would be required.

Yelich has to also know his pitch selection coming this season will be awful. Why throw anything but garbage to him, what are you going to fear in Miami's leftover lineup? It's not that Yelich will lay down playing for Miami, it's that he'll be on a bad lineup team....I guess the good thing going for him is that he's not an Elite HR hitter so pitching to him you're giving up doubles, I suppose there's at bats to pitch him vs around.

I don't buy this at all, I don't think that's how it works really. Jose Abreu hit very well and didn't have an absurd walk rate, and that guy has far worse players protecting him than Yelich will. That lineup still has Realmuto, Bour, and to a lesser degree Castro, those 4 will probably form a 1-4 for the Marlins with Yelich hitting 1 or 2. That's plenty of protection if you buy into the "throw garbage" theory, but really that theory is nonsense for most of the season and only really applies in the playoffs or other very specific situations.

This has been a very long thread on a player that the team probably has .01% chance of acquiring. He'd certainly be a nice piece, but if given the choice of giving up three top prospects for Yelich or someone like Archer or Stroman, I'm taking the top-of-rotation starter every single time. While the Brewers could use a table-setter at the top of the lineup, the team is flush with young, talented outfielders. While Brinson and Harrison don't really profile as top-of-the-lineup bats, Phillips does, as do Grisham and Ray if they ever get their acts together.

Some team is going to give the Marlins a haul for Yelich, but I hope it isn't Milwaukee.

This has been a very long thread on a player that the team probably has .01% chance of acquiring. He'd certainly be a nice piece, but if given the choice of giving up three top prospects for Yelich or someone like Archer or Stroman, I'm taking the top-of-rotation starter every single time. While the Brewers could use a table-setter at the top of the lineup, the team is flush with young, talented outfielders. While Brinson and Harrison don't really profile as top-of-the-lineup bats, Phillips does, as do Grisham and Ray if they ever get their acts together.

Some team is going to give the Marlins a haul for Yelich, but I hope it isn't Milwaukee.

While I love Phillips, I do not believe he profiles as a top of the order hitter unless he hits his ceiling. In an absolute ideal world, Phillips is a .270/.350 hitter. In reality, I expect him to be more of a .250/.320 type which fits better at #6 or #7.

Yelich would be a perfect fit for the Brewer lineup but I strongly question if he's really worth the three (or more) good prospects it would likely take to land him. The metrics say he's not a great centerfielder. DRS from 2015-2017 as a centerfielder are -5, 0, -6 and UZR/150 over that timeframe are -17.4, -8.6. -0.6. Last year he played centerfield but before that was primarily a left fielder where the defensive metrics were much, much better (prior to 2017 he had 3500+ innings as a left fielder and only about 650 as a centerfielder). Three year splits have him as a .293/.371/.447/.818 hitter. Love how that OBP would play in the Brewer lineup but the lack of true mashing ability for a guy who might be best in left field is a bit of a concern. I would definitely like to see Yelich in a Brewer uniform, but at the same time would have little interest in trading for him because of the amount of the investment that would be required.

Yelich's road splits improve his power numbers drastically. The CF defensive position would be a little concern, but that bat will turn out elite for a CF away from Miami.

Yes a very small chance to a trade, but who knows? You read around on here and the K guys need a contact/OB hitter. What if Stearns was contemplating the same thing? Moving on from say Phillips and Brinson and say the move cost Hiura, Villar with a Neil Walker signing.

Thats a really challenging lineup suddenly put together. Yelich, Braun, Santana, Shaw, Walker, 1b platoon, Pina, Arcia?

This has been a very long thread on a player that the team probably has .01% chance of acquiring.

Four pages is a long thread?

Yelich is a young star. He's a great player who would only be better outside of that park. The Brewers should be willing to throw plenty at Miami to get him. He'd immediately become the Brewers' best player, and he's only 26. They could either play him in center, or move him over to right. That would allow them to trade Santana for pitching or to even recover some prospect capital from a Yelich trade.

Of all potential blockbuster trades discussed this off-season, this is by far my favorite choice.

Archived