Brewer Fanatic

Christian Yelich

When you see Yelich in a few games here and there the talent definitely jumps out at you... But look at his stats. He is not a superstar. Granted he is only entering his age 26 season, maybe he'll take that next step. So far he's just a good solid 3 or 4 win player. Santana outperformed him offensively last year. Not worth selling the farm for

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/y/yelicch01.shtml

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When you see Yelich in a few games here and there the talent definitely jumps out at you... But look at his stats. He is not a superstar. Granted he is only entering his age 26 season, maybe he'll take that next step. So far he's just a good solid 3 or 4 win player. Santana outperformed him offensively last year. Not worth selling the farm for

He also plays a lot of games at pitchers parks in Miami, Washington, and New York. His defense is much better the. Santanas. It's not worth selling the farm on him, but I wouldn't sell his talent short either.

Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports hears the Marlins "intend to hold onto Christian Yelich."

There is a massive fire sale underway in Miami, with Giancarlo Stanton and Marcell Ozuna already out the door, but Yelich is under the Marlins' control through 2021 with a club option for 2022 and they apparently want to try to build around the 26-year-old outfielder. Alex Pavlovic of CSN Bay Area confirms this thought, reporting that the Giants "have repeatedly been told" by the Marlins that Yelich is not available.

Source: Jon Heyman on TwitterDec 13 - 2:43 PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Yelich is going to cost a massive haul. Like him as a player but no thank you. I don't think the Marlins would want Santana in the return or at least not to be built around in the trade.

Why would the Marlins trade Yelich, under contract on a 5-year, affordable deal for Santana, who is affordable for 4 years? Santana won't be on any competitive Marlins teams. They're going to want low level minors players.

Even better...I will gladly build a deal for Yelich for low level prospects not named Burnes or Hiura. I understand the Brewers are rich in OF prospects but are any of them superstars? For Yelich, I am willing to deal most anyone as I think he is right on the cusp of being a superstar. Trade for him now because it might be too late in the summer or winter of 2018.

If we don't think the low-level prospects of the Brewers are superstar caliber players, would the Marlins' scouts/front office?

Jeter knows the value of Yelich.

He sure didn't know the value of Stanton. Man would I be upset if the Brewers had traded Fielder (Giancarlo) and Hart (Ozuna) around 2009 for the return the Marlins got.

Well the other option was to let Ozuna walk 2 years from now after 70 win seasons and then be paying Giancarlo Stanton $30+ million/year for the next 8 years after that after he crosses the age of 30.

Jeter knows the value of Yelich.

He sure didn't know the value of Stanton. Man would I be upset if the Brewers had traded Fielder (Giancarlo) and Hart (Ozuna) around 2009 for the return the Marlins got.

Well the other option was to let Ozuna walk 2 years from now after 70 win seasons and then be paying Giancarlo Stanton $30+ million/year for the next 8 years after that after he crosses the age of 30.

Exactly. Apples to oranges comparison. The Brewers were competing with Hart and Fielder (and now having hindsight, we probably should have looked to move Prince the season before we lost him. We played roulette on that with trying to win and lost). The Marlins don't have anymore payroll to try to go out and contend. Maybe if their ace hadn't of died in a boating accident, this team would be moving towards building for a championship but they just aren't close. They are trying to hit the "reset" button and start fresh.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Exactly. Apples to oranges comparison. The Brewers were competing with Hart and Fielder (and now having hindsight, we probably should have looked to move Prince the season before we lost him. We played roulette on that with trying to win and lost). The Marlins don't have anymore payroll to try to go out and contend. Maybe if their ace hadn't of died in a boating accident, this team would be moving towards building for a championship but they just aren't close. They are trying to hit the "reset" button and start fresh.

It really is unbelievable what that Fernandez death did. With the way their offense blossomed last year, they were a playoff contender if you add Fernandez to that team. I have no idea what the effect that would've had on the sale, but I'm not sure even Jeter would want to blow it up even given the goal to reduce payroll.

He also plays a lot of games at pitchers parks in Miami, Washington, and New York. His defense is much better the. Santanas. It's not worth selling the farm on him, but I wouldn't sell his talent short either.

Again, Yelich isn't being traded. They're shedding payroll and he's on a team friendly deal for 5yrs and a quality player. Yes, Yelich won a GG in LF but I'd bet both Brinson and Phillips will be better than him in CF. Everyone here is better than Santana defensively.

But what park he plays in doesn't matter when you have an advanced metric like OPS+/wRC+ that measures one's actual production while adjusting for park factors. It puts everyone on a level playing field and Yelich has played 4 full seasons and his OPS+ has been 115, 118, 135, 117. He's hit more than 18HR once. He's stolen more than 16 bases once. An OPS above 807 once. Santana is 1yr younger and in his first full season just put up 30HR, 15 SB, same OBP, 875 OPS and 126 OPS+ (108 in 2016).

Yelich isn't a superstar nor is he trending that way present day. Very few superstars exist in the game to begin with. Every team would love having him because he's a quality player but this board vastly overrates his skill set. We don't need to take on his 58M when Brinson has the ability to outperform him for much cheaper.

Yelich could definitely be traded. Sure, he's on a team friendly deal, but by the time they come back out of this rebuild he'll only have about 2 years left on it. If someone blows them away with an offer they'd definitely make it.

Saying this is no different than saying anyone can be traded at any time if offered the right deal, which will always be true

Yelich could definitely be traded. Sure, he's on a team friendly deal, but by the time they come back out of this rebuild he'll only have about 2 years left on it. If someone blows them away with an offer they'd definitely make it.

Saying this is no different than saying anyone can be traded at any time if offered the right deal, which will always be true

It's a little bit different, because while we'd trade Knebel or Santana if blown away, we may still get an offer and say, "eh, we still could win this year." Yelich probably wants out and if the Marlins get a good offer of younger prospects, they probably should make the deal. There's much less of a reason to say no.

This is a move I could get behind. A player with 5 years of control, and one that I believe will only improve. Yes, you could say this is the very reason the Marlins wouldn't part with him. But the Marlins are a unique franchise, and when they tear it down they REALLY tear it down.

But the Brewers already have too many OFs!! Yes and no. This would open the door to trade Santana for pitching and/or a catcher. (That's another hole long-term that never gets mentioned.) I've always been a Santana supporter, but my vision of the future includes three OFs who are plus defensively. Or, move Santana or Braun to 1B. Not sure if that's even an option, just throwing it out there.

Now you have Yelich, Brinson, Phillips. Maybe Broxton is still around, maybe you have to include Braun in the mix if he isn't traded or moved to 1B. But that's the type of OF I want. Harrison, Ray, artist formerly knows as Clark, others on the way??? Great, that's not a problem. Too much talent is never a problem.

I mean, if SI is right (big if), Marlins may be not only willing to field offers but WILL move Yelich if he wants no part of a complete tear down to the ground rebuild.

Yelich is a 20/20 player away from Miami and just a 9/17 player in Miami. He offers just a 20%K rate for his career to go along with a 10%BB rate. He's a stud, and very capable to be Elite if put in the right stadium. I don't see a match, but I have watched him play quite a bit, and he's so close on making this game look easy. 300+/batting title type future, which with the BBs would likely put him in the .400+OB posting to go with probably over .500 slg.

Now, it is completely dumb to trade him by the Marlins now that Stanton is off the books. I guess Jeter/Co. could be staring at the fact Yelich will have no protection around him in a lineup so his numbers should be worse as what's the reason to pitch to him when AAA level ability bats after him? So in that instance, I suppose his value wouldn't increase and rather than getting 3 top 100 guys+ you only get 2 when trading time comes. I wouldn't trade him, maybe he will have more value during a deadline with another great season outside the lineup circumstances he's about to endure. But in overall talent, I'd put Yelich up there top 20 OF in all of baseball with top 10 ability if he were in a better home stadium.

Yelich is a 20/20 player away from Miami and just a 9/17 player in Miami. He offers just a 20%K rate for his career to go along with a 10%BB rate. He's a stud, and very capable to be Elite if put in the right stadium. I don't see a match, but I have watched him play quite a bit, and he's so close on making this game look easy. 300+/batting title type future, which with the BBs would likely put him in the .400+OB posting to go with probably over .500 slg.

Now, it is completely dumb to trade him by the Marlins now that Stanton is off the books. I guess Jeter/Co. could be staring at the fact Yelich will have no protection around him in a lineup so his numbers should be worse as what's the reason to pitch to him when AAA level ability bats after him? So in that instance, I suppose his value wouldn't increase and rather than getting 3 top 100 guys+ you only get 2 when trading time comes. I wouldn't trade him, maybe he will have more value during a deadline with another great season outside the lineup circumstances he's about to endure. But in overall talent, I'd put Yelich up there top 20 OF in all of baseball with top 10 ability if he were in a better home stadium.

This entire post pretty much sums up my opinion of Yelich. But the bold part is where he becomes a top 20 talent in baseball. He would become the Brewers version of Anthony Rizzo (.300/.400/.500 with 25-30 HR). I wouldn't deal a bunch of prospect depth for an OF but Santana-Ponce type for Yelich or Brinson-Supak for Yelich I would have serious interest in.

This entire post pretty much sums up my opinion of Yelich. But the bold part is where he becomes a top 20 talent in baseball. He would become the Brewers version of Anthony Rizzo (.300/.400/.500 with 25-30 HR). I wouldn't deal a bunch of prospect depth for an OF but Santana-Ponce type for Yelich or Brinson-Supak for Yelich I would have serious interest in.

Well, sure, I'd also like the part where a team that trades a guy that "could be our Anthony Rizzo" for a lesser player of similar contract/age status or for our scraps/a relief prospect.

Well, sure, I'd also like the part where a team that trades a guy that "could be our Anthony Rizzo" for a lesser player of similar contract/age status or for our scraps/a relief prospect.

The original post indicates there isn't a match and my proposed trades are indicative of that as well. There likely isn't a match but if the Marlins were willing to deal him for Santana or Brinson as the headliner you have to listen.

The original post indicates there isn't a match and my proposed trades are indicative of that as well. There likely isn't a match but if the Marlins were willing to deal him for Santana or Brinson as the headliner you have to listen.

Oops, I read "Broxton" instead of "Brinson" but I do think that both trades would require more. I retract most of what I said. I don't think the Marlins would be interested in Santana which is why I poo-pooed it a bit but I do think Brinson is something that would interest them (and a little bit more) but I read Broxton.

With several players already off the books, the Marlins aren't desperate to trade Yelich. I'm sure he's available, but it won't be cheap at all. With 4 years remaining, he's going to have a high trade value for a long time yet, and they'll have no problem waiting beyond this offseason for the right trade. Very few even remotely contending teams won't be interested in a player like Yelich.

• 5 weeks later...

Christian Yelich's agent told Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com on Tuesday that his client's relationship with the Marlins is "irretrievably broken."

Yelich expressed surprise and disappointment last month when the Marlins moved Giancarlo Stanton and Marcell Ozuna, and now his trade request has become more of a trade demand. "The relationship between player and team is irretrievably broken," the agent, Joe Longo, said Tuesday. "It's soured. He's part of the old ownership regime. The new ownership regime needs to get new parts into this plan and move forward, and he needs to get on with his career where he's got a chance to win. The big issue is him winning and winning now." Yelich, 26, has drawn interest from the Nationals, Blue Jays, Giants, Phillies, Braves, and Rangers, but Miami's asking price is said to be sky high.

Source: ESPN.comJan 16 - 7:22 PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Feel bad for Pirates and Marlins fans. I'm sure the Brewers will someday be in this situation but it just stinks for these different franchises that they are basically farm systems for the larger markets. I love baseball and I love watching my Brewers but it does stink that they are at a disadvantage. To the above post, Yelich is probably stuck where he is. It should be a red flag to anyone that is a Marlin for signing any contract with them.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived