Brewer Fanatic

Christian Yelich

Put Barraclough in there and throw them a bone in the form of an upside prospect then. I'm not a big believer in Woodruff so even without Barraclough it doesn't seem too rich to me. You have to give to get in the business.

Of course you do, but don't throw a huge discount on the players on our MLB roster either. Trade Woodruff, there's another hole on the MLB roster. This is turning into a "grass is always greener" argument. Yes, the marlins have some great pieces that I'd love for the Brewers to get their hands on, but filling holes by creating holes is akin to running on a treadmill.

I mean, the MLB team won 86 games, and was a playoff contender up until the last 3 games. These players are not bums!

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that is a big overpay on the Brewers' end. Castro's contract almost gives him negative value, and Yelich and Realmuto have asked to be traded, reducing the Marlins' leverage.

I would be more inclined to say Yelich/Realmuto/Castro for Arcia/Pina and maybe Broxton or a lower-level prospect like Supak or Ponce. Major league players carry a much higher value than prospects.

Castro's owed just under $23M over the next two years. For a 1-2 WAR, maybe even 3, 28 year old that's almost chump change in todays' game. And it's only for 2 years.

Look at it as Yelich and Arcia cancelling each other out. Would you give up Harrison, Phillips, Woodruff and Pina for Realmuto and Castro? Pina isn't just a throw-in in this deal, as he's a solid catcher. So we are talking two Top 100 outfielders and a young rotation piece for a decent catcher upgrade and a solid SS. Boy, that still seems rich.

I think you're overvaluing Arcia (or undervaluing Yelich) to say him for Yelich is cancelling each other out, which makes the second half of that scenario moot. I think anyone outside of Milwaukee would take Yelich and his contract 10 out of 10 times over Arcia.

I also think you may be undervaluing Realmuto and his 3 years of control. If anything, I think it might be closer to Realmuto/Castro and Arcia/Pina cancelling eachother out, leaving the rest to be Yelich for Harrison, Phillips, and Woodruff, which seems pretty fair and would mean getting Yelich without giving up Brinson/Burnes/Huira/Diaz.

I think you're overvaluing Arcia (or undervaluing Yelich) to say him for Yelich is cancelling each other out, which makes the second half of that scenario moot. I think anyone outside of Milwaukee would take Yelich and his contract 10 out of 10 times over Arcia.

I also think you may be undervaluing Realmuto and his 3 years of control. If anything, I think it might be closer to Realmuto/Castro and Arcia/Pina cancelling eachother out, leaving the rest to be Yelich for Harrison, Phillips, and Woodruff, which seems pretty fair and would mean getting Yelich without giving up Brinson/Burnes/Huira/Diaz.

Arcia is a stellar defensive SS who is 23, coming into his own offensively and is making peanuts. And yes, Realmuto has control, but so does Pina at a much cheaper rate. Finances do also play a large part in this scenario.

Hopefully this is a moot point. I don't think the Brewers will be giving up any of their big league pieces for Yelich.

If we had had a deal in place to sign Cozart for what turned out to be a really reasonable amount, trading for Yelich with Arcia as the centerpiece and saving most of the rest of our top prospects might have been a good idea. Unfortunately it's not an option anymore.

I view Arcia as the type of young MLB player a team like the Brewers should build around provided they don't force him into an offensive role that's outside his likely progression. To me he's similar to Alicedes Escobar with alot more pop offensively, and I've always though his inclusion in the Greinke trade stung this organization the most - had the Brewers found a way to work that trade and keep Escobar in Milwaukee playing SS, there's no Yuni B.

I'd rather add another premium prospect who hasn't yet reached the majors before moving Arcia.

I view Arcia as the type of young MLB player a team like the Brewers should build around provided they don't force him into an offensive role that's outside his likely progression. To me he's similar to Alicedes Escobar with alot more pop offensively, and I've always though his inclusion in the Greinke trade stung this organization the most - had the Brewers found a way to work that trade and keep Escobar in Milwaukee playing SS, there's no Yuni B.

I'd rather add another premium prospect who hasn't yet reached the majors before moving Arcia.

Yuni was trash, but we could have done better than Escobar too who I would think the Royals probably expected more out of. He had a nice 2014 but other than that Escobar has really never been anything special.

At very best he ended up being the 3rd best player given up in that deal.

Yes, but Escobar on those 2012-14 Brewer teams would've been a huge defensive upgrade at the most premium defensive position on the field. Some of the other players given up in that trade may have winded up being better overall players at their respective positions, but trading away Escobar and replacing him with Yuni B and having a bare cupboard behind him in the organization for young SS's really hurt the Brewers' at the MLB level more than letting Cain, Jeffress, or Odorizzi go individually.

I guess the point I was trying to make was I think Arcia will be a better overall player at SS than Escobar as he matures because he has a much higher offensive ceiling, IMO.

how far away is our SS prospects from the majors in everyone opinion?

A guy like Dubon could probably see time at SS this season if Arcia wasn't in the mix.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

long enough not to risk trading Arcia away unless you bring back somebody to play that position (and play it well) for 3 seasons, IMO. The Brewers do have a lot of MIF prospects, but the potential starting caliber SS's are mostly a few years away. Dubon is an option, but I think he's actually a better fit at 2B or would serve well as a utility IF. 2018 will likely be the year some of those younger prospects hopefully separate themselves and prove they are MLB-caliber, but more seasoning is needed.

If our supposed window to really go after it is still 2-3 seasons out, I'd rather have an established Arcia at SS in 2020 than a prospect an high A currently.

I'd be very hesitant to do this deal if it included Arcia. I'd rather roll with Brinson/Phillips and Arcia all at league minimum than give up Arcia to get Yelich.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think it's worth noting that the linked article that mentions Arcia seems to be a 'Brewerfan' like Marlins page (except with, you know, current main site content). That doesn't carry much weight in my mind, as the article is about the authors belief that the Marlins SHOULD target Arcia, not that they are/will.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Defensively, Dubon is ready now. I don't think his bat will play as a starter - but that's my opinion. Maybe another year of seasoning will help him.

The rest of the shortstops are mostly in the lower levels - many of them still teenagers. Meaning they are a long ways off.

From all reports Diaz is not a good shortstop. Or even an average one. Same goes for guys like Erceg and Nate Orf. Just because they've played there in the past doesn't mean they should play there in the future. In a pinch they would work - but nothing more.

The fact that we have a Dubon shows how nice of a job Stearns has done in the short time he's been here. Arica could be a great SS but having a Dubon provides an opportunity to move Arcia if the right deal were to come along.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Defensively, Dubon is ready now. I don't think his bat will play as a starter - but that's my opinion. Maybe another year of seasoning will help him.

The rest of the shortstops are mostly in the lower levels - many of them still teenagers. Meaning they are a long ways off.

From all reports Diaz is not a good shortstop. Or even an average one. Same goes for guys like Erceg and Nate Orf. Just because they've played there in the past doesn't mean they should play there in the future. In a pinch they would work - but nothing more.

For starters, I highly highly doubt that Arcia would be included in a trade for Yelich. He is probably the least likely player on our entire roster to be traded. That said, IF for whatever reason we did trade Arcia...I doubt the plan would be to fill him from the farm. This would be where trade B and C come in, SS would absolutely have to come from another team. I actually don't think we have a true SS prospect anywhere in the minors, that's probably something that should be addressed either in the draft or in future trades.

I actually don't think we have a true SS prospect anywhere in the minors, that's probably something that should be addressed either in the draft or in future trades.

How do you not think Dubon is a true SS prospect? A little lost on that one. I can understand saying that he might not be ready this season but to just discard him, yeesh.

I actually don't think we have a true SS prospect anywhere in the minors, that's probably something that should be addressed either in the draft or in future trades.

How do you not think Dubon is a true SS prospect? A little lost on that one. I can understand saying that he might not be ready this season but to just discard him, yeesh.

I don't see Dubon as good enough to plug in at SS everyday. Not all that far off from calling Kyle Wren a true outfield prospect. I guess they are both prospects but I don't think we have everyday players in either of them.

He's not a top prospect or anything. He's a good prospect but I don't see him as the SS or 2B of the future. He also isn't a pure SS. Plays 2nd base a whole lot and that's where I think he ends up. His defensive stats at SS on the year were not great.

I don't see Dubon as good enough to plug in at SS everyday. Not all that far off from calling Kyle Wren a true outfield prospect. I guess they are both prospects but I don't think we have everyday players in either of them.

And now we are comparing Dubon as a prospect to Kyle Wren? Now I'm really lost.

Agreed. People get hung up on his defensive ability, but I don't see his bat EVER playing in MLB. If we had the chance to trade him because another team thought highly of him, I'd move him in a heartbeat.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

People said the same thing about Dustin Pedroia and look how that turned out. Doubon is more consistent defensively than Arcia, tho doesn’t make the highlight real plays. Doubon is legit and young.

To be fair, Pedroia's minor league stat line is much more impressive than Dubon's.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
People said the same thing about Dustin Pedroia and look how that turned out. Doubon is more consistent defensively than Arcia, tho doesn’t make the highlight real plays. Doubon is legit and young.

To be fair, Pedroia's minor league stat line is much more impressive than Dubon's.

Correct. Pedroia was a Top 100 ranked guy at the same age as Dubon. His OPS was a 100 points higher than Dubon's at AAA - and Pedroia didn't have Colorado Springs to help him out.

There's nothing wrong with Dubon - just many people don't think he'll hit particularly well in the majors - at least based on what they have seen so far. I'm all for giving the guy another year to mature. Who knows what he'll be like in a year. Guys can make big strides.

I like having Dubon in the minors and hope he can take the next step forward, but trading away Arcia and playing Dubon would be a big step backward that would negate positive gains elsewhere. If we were to trade Arcia, bringing back someone like Castro would probably be part of the deal.

That said, I think that among the 3,000 things Stearns is doing right now, he should be working on an extension for Arcia, not working on a trade sending him out of town.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived