Brewer Fanatic

Christian Yelich

General casual fan has no idea what fan fest is, it would have no bearing on anything.

I'd add that I think the Dodgers and Nats as contenders could be seriously interested in Yelich. Nats of course have the inner division. But after that most of the contending teams don't seem to make much sense, so that's a plus, only 2 big money teams.

Do the Nats have the horses to trade for Yelich, though? Didn't the farm take some significant hits with the Eaton trade and some of their deadline moves? The Dodgers probably do, but they don't have the payroll space to take on much more than Yelich if they want to stay under the luxury tax line.

I just keep thinking the Brewers are the best, most likely fit in terms of what Miami might want. Doesn't mean they'll get him, but unless LA is willing to offer up a few of their own big names, I'd be all about getting this thing done with the Crew if I were the Marlins FO.

Victor Robles would be a headliner but him it's 1 top 100 and on down. Albeit, one guy that could be #101.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something no one has brought up yet, I feel REALLY bad for anyone that we ship off to that crapshow in Miami. I find it hard to believe anyone wants to play for that organization, knowing that they may have a firesale at any moment, any year, and at any time.

I'm pretty sure that our prospects are hoping and praying they are not the ones involved in any deal with the Marlins.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I would love to have Yelich. I think he would really do well out of Marlins park.

That said, I don't want to give up too much for him. Perhaps it's just me being greedy - but I still the strength of this organization is creating - and sustaining - a deep farm system. It's so easy to have a good farm system get depleted quickly - injuries, a poor draft, players don't develop - and when you trade some top notch guys it only puts you in a more difficult situation.

Still, if you like the deal, then you do it. We can't sit around and navel gaze and second guess ourselves every time we thing about making a deal. Part of building having a lot of depth is to use it - whether at the Big League level - or in trades. I'm good with trading prospects if it's a decent deal.

I think everything starts with Brinson. From there, I'd hate to give up Burnes, Harrison or Hiura. I don't want to give up Woodruff either - unless we get another pitcher via trade or free agency.

Ultimately, if the Marlins want too much - walk away. We aren't Christian Yelich away from being a great team. He'd be a great help - but not at too great a cost.

Something no one has brought up yet, I feel REALLY bad for anyone that we ship off to that crapshow in Miami. I find it hard to believe anyone wants to play for that organization, knowing that they may have a firesale at any moment, any year, and at any time.

I'm pretty sure that our prospects are hoping and praying they are not the ones involved in any deal with the Marlins.

I had a laugh with myself earlier when people were talking about the roster crunch, that we could just trade back for the ones that pan out and miami os looking to sell them. Miami can be our(i guess everyone elses too) 4a club.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

I'd give the Marlins until the end of the day tomorrow - yes or no guys.

I think there is probably more nuance to it than that. I think if Stearns thinks he is being played, then yes, you make that ultimatum. If Stearns feels he is being dealt with in good faith then I think he lets it slide.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Even if a Yelich trade was approved today or tomorrow. By time the medicals and all the papers are finalized it wouldn't be official until sometime next week. So I wouldn't be surprised if this is indeed announced during fanfest but not because that is when the Brewers want to do it or when Mark A. wants to do it this would just be circumstance though I wouldn't be surprised if another move like a FA signing would be unveiled then if this trade does or doesn't go through.

I don't get why the Marlins would insist on two SPs in trading Yelich, as Pitchers on MLB's '17 for Miami make up 8 of that team's top 10 and Braxton Garrett was 4th! Move down to 17 and it's 12 of top 17.

They will have trade away their entire OF in one month and Pitching is not the headline they need trading Yelich. This is why I fear Hiura being the 2nd target, and maybe that the Upped offer over Diaz?

MLB's top 30 for Miami in '17 literally has 0 at Catcher, 1st base, and 2nd base! 1 SS in that top 30. 19 of your top 30 prospects are Pitching. Would seem terrible to add the Pitchers and ignore your desperate need of Infielders. Yelich's move would also make Realmuto demand trade. So what are they using at Catcher when that happens?

Brinson/Hiura with the likes of Nottingham/Susac/Bandy/KJ Harrison/Mario Feliciano, Gatewood would make more sense.

Brinson/Hiura and Dubon with Bandy or Susac?

Burnes/Ortiz/Peralta while valuable don't fit Miami's Organization depth.

Simple when in rebuild mode get all the arms you can ,you can always trade for hitting small market teams must develop their pitching .

If it is true the Brewers were the first substantial offer I don't blame the Marlins for taking a day or two to tell other teams, "If you can't top this offer you aren't getting Yelich". They are doing their due diligence, which they absolutely should be. I also think it is okay for the Brewers to say, "hey, we are moving on if you don't get back to us with an acceptance within 48 hours".

I think Yelich would be really good for the Brewers over the next 5 years. If they don't land him, I will remain confident that Stearns and staff will explore ways to make this team better every single day. The Brewers currently have assets and options. IMO the Brewers are in the best spot they have ever been in as far as baseball operations leadership, at least during my fandom.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Most prospects have one agenda far and away above all else, to simply get on a major league field both to realize their dream and to start earning big league paychecks.

Worrying about being on a winning team becomes a bigger factor once these young players get settled in and prove themselves after a few years.

Most prospects have one agenda far and away above all else, to simply get on a major league field both to realize their dream and to start earning big league paychecks.

Worrying about being on a winning team becomes a bigger factor once these young players get settled in and prove themselves after a few years.

I agree, but also Brinson grew up in South Florida as a Marlins fan. The kid's favorite player growing up was Juan Pierre (from his Marlins years in 2003-05). I don't think he would be nearly as heartbroken as we might think. He would become an every day major leaguer in centerfield for the team he grew up rooting for.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

HH has been eerily quiet on the matter. I want to believe his sources. I really do.

I’d love to hear from him all day...but I’m sure HH has a job or kids or some form of life that doesn’t involve posting for us all the time. :)

There’s no reason to not believe him. It’s entirely possible there’s not much to report right now either.

HH has been eerily quiet on the matter. I want to believe his sources. I really do.

He said earlier today that it could be a week. Could be blowing smoke. Who really knows?

I'm in I'll believe it when I see it mode.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

He said earlier today that it could be a week. Could be blowing smoke. Who really knows?

When he said the Brewers upped their offer, the first thing I thought was that DS doesn't just up an offer (as with most GMs)... if they increase the offer, they ask for more back. Could be more pieces involved if the Brewers ask for Barraclagh or Straily. Might take a while to straighten out.

Also could be a third team involved. Brewers could be taking on Castro, but with the intent of moving him to another team. That goes back to the team A scenario that fell apart because of how much salary to take on. Brewers could be coming back and saying, "We'll take on more of that contract, but you take Castro back." Castro was a 2 bWAR player last year... better to get that back than just send MIL cash.

Had Jungmann still been here, I don't think he would have minded being traded to Miami at all. I don't think Broxton would mind either - knowing he has a MLB roster spot as opposed to possibly being sent to the minors or shuttled back and forth. No state income tax, Miami Beach... not a terrible place to be, especially when you're *only* making $500K/year.

I'm in I'll believe it when I see it mode.

I was taking it hook, line and sinker a couple days ago. Now I am skeptical. Basically its because this thread has now discussed two deals that our "insider" basically assured would happen. He seemed quite optimistic about Darvish as well.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice ...

I was taking it hook, line and sinker a couple days ago. Now I am skeptical. Basically its because this thread has now discussed two deals that our "insider" basically assured would happen. He seemed quite optimistic about Darvish as well.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice ...

Tough place for HighHeat19 to be in if he’s actually being fed the information he’s sharing. If the moves actually play out he looks like a king on the forums. If they don’t, people will always question anything he posts. Tough spot. Hopefully he’s being truthful and eventually something rolls into what he’s been feeding us.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived