Brewer Fanatic

Christian Yelich

I'm checking back after OnDeck, that's when it will be announced

I am betting we have a FA SP signed and announced then and this trade with the Marlins will be announced as well

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not if the Brewers' offer is being used as a pawn. Likely means that the Brewers' offer includes high-end "name" prospects that the Marlins may not be too high on. Which likely means names like Brinson and Ortiz or maybe Phillips ... names that have appeared on Top Prospect lists for several years.

Eh. Didn't read anything about he Marlins liking our offer, just that they considered it serious. I'm sure Darvish thought our offer was serious as well but that doesn't mean he liked it and in the end he leveraged it for a better deal, which is what the Marlins are doing.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Sure, but you don't let teams shop your offers and keep you waiting as the offseason proceeds and opportunities pass you by. You can only sit on plan Yelich for so long before it hurts your offseason if it doesn't happen.

I'd have no issues telling them, if your plan is to leverage my offer, yahoo japan is going to report I'm out. Would it work. No. Don't expect it to, do expect teams to understand when I make an offer you accept or reject.

I agree to an extent. The reality is that the Marlins would be foolish not to float the Brewers offer out there and see if somebody will top it. The Brewers on the other hand, should give a time line. I don't think it has to be a lengthy time line though, they need to proceed with the off-season. Somebody had mentioned "age of immediate information" or something like that in this thread or the other one. I agree with that as well. I can't imagine that these GMs need to wait for a half-detailed report from anybody to know who's offering what for who. These guys know what the offers are in fairly short order, most likely coming straight from the source not from some reporter or "insider" "leaking" info.

I would give up something substantial for Yelich, preferably from their glut of OF depth. I could see Brinson and Phillips along with maybe one arm, though if they'd do it for position players only that'd be my preference.

I'm checking back after OnDeck, that's when it will be announced

I am betting we have a FA SP signed and announced then and this trade with the Marlins will be announced as well

Good luck with that.

I don't get why the Marlins would insist on two SPs in trading Yelich, as Pitchers on MLB's '17 for Miami make up 8 of that team's top 10 and Braxton Garrett was 4th! Move down to 17 and it's 12 of top 17.

They will have trade away their entire OF in one month and Pitching is not the headline they need trading Yelich. This is why I fear Hiura being the 2nd target, and maybe that the Upped offer over Diaz?

MLB's top 30 for Miami in '17 literally has 0 at Catcher, 1st base, and 2nd base! 1 SS in that top 30. 19 of your top 30 prospects are Pitching. Would seem terrible to add the Pitchers and ignore your desperate need of Infielders. Yelich's move would also make Realmuto demand trade. So what are they using at Catcher when that happens?

Brinson/Hiura with the likes of Nottingham/Susac/Bandy/KJ Harrison/Mario Feliciano, Gatewood would make more sense.

Brinson/Hiura and Dubon with Bandy or Susac?

Burnes/Ortiz/Peralta while valuable don't fit Miami's Organization depth.

I get leveraging an offer to try and start a bidding war. That's trade negotiation 101 in a lot of ways.

What I don't understand is the feeling the Brewers are being used as pawns. That may have been the case for Darvish, who knew he could reel in bigger offers from Chicago especially if the Crew's offer became public.

In Miami's case, you have to think Milwaukee is one of the PRIME targets for a trade. They are one of the few teams looking to make a big push. They have a ton of talent at all levels of the farm system. They have a lot of payroll flexibility. It just seems like they'd be silly to try and use Milwaukee as a stooge in this scenario.

I much more buy that they want Milwaukee's best offer and are holding out for as much as they can get. Maybe DS is unwilling to give up what Miami wants. Maybe Miami isn't high on the guys DS has pitched so far. It may not work out, but I wouldn't give up on this thing yet. I just don't see a better landing spot for Yelich given the situation, our farm, and other teams that may be interested. There are like 5-6 teams with comparable/better systems, and only one of them (Yankees) really seems primed to go for it. I just don't see why New York would up the Crew's offer for another outfielder, especially when Yelich doesn't grade out best in CF, where they'll need him. We already know Atlanta balked at Acuna for Yelich, so who does that leave? San Diego? Maybe, I guess. Chicago, okay, but they're thin and getting thinner in the minors.

Not saying this trade will happen, but I think Milwaukee is the target unless some other team really goes all out or the Marlins overplay their hand.

I would give up something substantial for Yelich, preferably from their glut of OF depth. I could see Brinson and Phillips along with maybe one arm, though if they'd do it for position players only that'd be my preference.

I think the deal may include both Brinson and Phillips as well. The Marlins would get two good MLB-ready prospects, we'd get Yelich for RF, sign Cain for CF and trade Santana for pitching/2B.

Not the plan I would've thought of going into the offseason, but it kind of looks like that may be the way we're leaning as Stearns has been looking at all kinds of proven outfielders when we already have a glut of outfielders and need help elsewhere.

He'd be taking advantage of having surplus cash while other teams don't, and taking advantage of a market that may be undervaluing free agents while highly valuing "team control" through pre-arby/arby years.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

What I don't understand is the feeling the Brewers are being used as pawns.

I agree. The Mish write-up Mass Haas posted said the Brewers were the first offer the Marlins considered to be serious. If that is the case, they won't sit on it too long, as Stearns could rescind the offer at any time, leaving the Marlins with a disgruntled outfielder and 14 offers they don't consider serious.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I get leveraging an offer to try and start a bidding war. That's trade negotiation 101 in a lot of ways.

What I don't understand is the feeling the Brewers are being used as pawns. That may have been the case for Darvish, who knew he could reel in bigger offers from Chicago especially if the Crew's offer became public.

In Miami's case, you have to think Milwaukee is one of the PRIME targets for a trade. They are one of the few teams looking to make a big push. They have a ton of talent at all levels of the farm system. They have a lot of payroll flexibility. It just seems like they'd be silly to try and use Milwaukee as a stooge in this scenario.

I much more buy that they want Milwaukee's best offer and are holding out for as much as they can get. Maybe DS is unwilling to give up what Miami wants. Maybe Miami isn't high on the guys DS has pitched so far. It may not work out, but I wouldn't give up on this thing yet. I just don't see a better landing spot for Yelich given the situation, our farm, and other teams that may be interested. There are like 5-6 teams with comparable/better systems, and only one of them (Yankees) really seems primed to go for it. I just don't see why New York would up the Crew's offer for another outfielder, especially when Yelich doesn't grade out best in CF, where they'll need him. We already know Atlanta balked at Acuna for Yelich, so who does that leave? San Diego? Maybe, I guess. Chicago, okay, but they're thin and getting thinner in the minors.

Not saying this trade will happen, but I think Milwaukee is the target unless some other team really goes all out or the Marlins overplay their hand.

Excellent breakdown of the reality of the Yelich situation. This makes a ton of sense about the teams in the mix.

I think the deal may include both Brinson and Phillips as well. The Marlins would get two good MLB-ready prospects, we'd get Yelich for RF, sign Cain for CF and trade Santana for pitching/2B.

I would love this!

Marlins are trying to create bidding war for Yelich and "Friends".

Brewers have just upped their offer........... Uggghhhh.

Once again, don't ask or even pry hints.

Should know something in a week if not sooner.

Oh no! That doesn't fit into the "We have to wait to make our big announcement for our On Deck pep rally!" Deal off!

Come on, I can't be the only one that is a little miffed that they like to "break" news at their annual pep rally. Seems kind of juvenile.

Oh no! That doesn't fit into the "We have to wait to make our big announcement for our On Deck pep rally!" Deal off!

Come on, I can't be the only one that is a little miffed that they like to "break" news at their annual pep rally. Seems kind of juvenile.

Seems really contrived if true. Reminds me of signs telling fans to cheer in-game. Hopefully the fan fest has nothing to do with anything baseball ops related

Seems really contrived if true. Reminds me of signs telling fans to cheer in-game. Hopefully the fan fest has nothing to do with anything baseball ops related

Oh, it's been done:

And yes, totally contrived and stupid. But if I remember right, several personnel-type decisions have been "made public" at this event. It's like the team is catering to its cutesy social media people.

General casual fan has no idea what fan fest is, it would have no bearing on anything.

I'd add that I think the Dodgers and Nats as contenders could be seriously interested in Yelich. Nats of course have the inner division. But after that most of the contending teams don't seem to make much sense, so that's a plus, only 2 big money teams.

If Attanasio is waiting for the fan fest to do something or announce it, then he's a bigger knob than he looks like.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If Attanasio is waiting for the fan fest to do something or announce it, then he's a bigger knob than he looks like.

Of course it's stupid, but it's been done in the past. That said, if they agreed to a trade today of that magnitude, no they're not going to wait 4 days to announce it. A FA signing? Yea, they may wait a couple days to announce it.

General casual fan has no idea what fan fest is, it would have no bearing on anything.

I'd add that I think the Dodgers and Nats as contenders could be seriously interested in Yelich. Nats of course have the inner division. But after that most of the contending teams don't seem to make much sense, so that's a plus, only 2 big money teams.

Do the Nats have the horses to trade for Yelich, though? Didn't the farm take some significant hits with the Eaton trade and some of their deadline moves? The Dodgers probably do, but they don't have the payroll space to take on much more than Yelich if they want to stay under the luxury tax line.

I just keep thinking the Brewers are the best, most likely fit in terms of what Miami might want. Doesn't mean they'll get him, but unless LA is willing to offer up a few of their own big names, I'd be all about getting this thing done with the Crew if I were the Marlins FO.

Don't forget Prince's surprise appearance at the Brewers winter warmup 8 years ago or whenever that was after he signed a 2 year deal. He was having a bit of a tiff with the organization over his contract and miraculously he signs right before the event and shows up to standing ovation. I doubt Mark is telling David to time things according to FanFest but past history has shown us he likes to announce player moves during it.

Do the Nats have the horses to trade for Yelich, though? Didn't the farm take some significant hits with the Eaton trade and some of their deadline moves? The Dodgers probably do, but they don't have the payroll space to take on much more than Yelich if they want to stay under the luxury tax line.

I just keep thinking the Brewers are the best, most likely fit in terms of what Miami might want. Doesn't mean they'll get him, but unless LA is willing to offer up a few of their own big names, I'd be all about getting this thing done with the Crew if I were the Marlins FO.

Yea they've made some deals that might have depleted them. I also forgot they had Eaton to play left this year, was remembering them trotting out former Brewer great Adam Lind last year. So actually probably cross them off the list.

Why I brought this up is that the other non-contenders could easily say is it really worth it to pony up here when we can't win (as even some here are saying). So hopefully we're not bidding against ourselves a bit.

Two things:

1) Craig Mish said the Brewers' offer was the first serious one the Marlins received for Yelich. So if 25 other teams have shown interest (at various levels, I'm sure), you likely want to let the more serious suitors have a chance to submit a serious offer. Pieces are often discussed by teams so the two parties know who is available and at what price -- and also who the selling team wants to get rid of. And maybe the Brewers' pieces aren't the ones the Marlins desire most.

2) Attanasio is not waiting for On Deck to make a move. All that was said by Haudricourt was he likes to make a splash at On Deck. It ramps up excitement.

Archived