Brewer Fanatic

Christian Yelich

I would call it off.....they asked for our best offer....we gave it to them...they had 2 days to look for better offer now they want us to wait longer....the heck with it.....yelich is good.....but he is not Bryce harper or mike trout....heck he is not even in the class of gio Stanton.....or joey votto....or altuve........go after Abreu from the chisox....along with a pitcher for Broxton....dubon ...Ortiz and thames

That......works in........movies..........not...........in real.............life.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Brewers didn't go in to this with their best offer. It's a negotiation. Feeling out how low the Marlins would go. The upped offer is still in the comfort zone of what the Brewers put on this trades value. If the Marlins balk, Stearns walks. Just like he did after team x changed their demands at the 11th hour.

hh said it was scary to see what the crew was giving up with the first offer....so now ur saying we add more to it....yelich is notttttttttttttt that good.....there are others that can be had for less that would be just as good at miller park.....

It depends what the "friends" comment is. It's really hard to say anything is an overpay without knowing the offers and who might be coming back.

The longer this stretches out though, the less like I think an actual trade is to happen.

hh said it was scary to see what the crew was giving up with the first offer....so now ur saying we add more to it....yelich is notttttttttttttt that good.....there are others that can be had for less that would be just as good at miller park.....

Don't jump off a bridge. No one knows what the offer is, or how our supposed "insider" values the prospects involved.

Frankly, HH has not supplied anything that is concrete. Perhaps he is "in the know", but there is nothing so far that isn't capable of being complete speculation at this point.

Craig Mish, who also was the main media person on top of all the Giancarlo Stanton updates from a Miami perspective, on the 2:00 PM Eastern Wednesday "Sirius/XM Fantasy Baseball Show" -- subscribers to the app can also listen to the archive, these are not direct quotes, but me summarizing his comments from an 11-minute conversation. Several of the comments come from "sources Mish trusts".

The Brewers absolutely have made an offer to Miami for Christian Yelich.

As many as 25 teams have shown interest, but there are only a handful of serious suitors, and the Brewers offer is the very first offer the Marlins consider a serious offer.

The Marlins are hoping to leverage this info to pit clubs against each other in bidding (perhaps that is why Mish has this information, to get the word out). Mish thinks the Marlins would be playing this info off two-to-three other teams to increase trade value.

Miami is becoming much more serious about trading Yelich, they see limiting positives in having him remain, considering Yelich's stated case of not wanting to be there any longer (irreparable).

Back in December, when the Marlins went to Yelich to give him a heads-up that Stanton would not be here, Yelich privately "lost it". His public comments came later, mainly via his agent.

Other chips likely need to fall in free agency before a trade becomes a reality (maybe Lorenzo Cain in a short-term settle deal).

There was an interesting discussion about holding on to Yelich, because invariably when someone goes down elsewhere (see Adam Eaton, A.J. Pollock, circa 2017), Yelich could be worth even more by around the All-Star Break, but that only works if Yelich performs this April/May/June, and the pressure on Yelich to perform in front of Marlins fans within a reduced lineup, in a uniform he's denounced, may actually de-value him.

For all the prospect build-up that's SO necessary for the Brewers' long-term organizational health, eventually there are only so many roster spots -- both on the active 25-man and the "future-minded" protection spots on the 40-man -- and you're smart to use a few prospects as trade chips for a single, larger improvement.

If that's what this potential Yelich move amounts to, I can buy it -- in spite of the fact that, like many here, I'm wary of the sting.

Not all the prospects will pan out. If you trade a couple before that proves to be their case, then you've used them wisely. In hindsight, the guy it hurt worst to lose in the Sabathia trade was the PTBNL (Brantley) and few would've projected him as such as opposed to 1 or more of the 3 know commodities at the time.

I think of the Twins of about 15 years ago when Cuddyer & Restovich were coming up. They had piles of prospects but pretty much hung onto ALL of them too long -- definitely overplayed their hand -- and got absolutely zero out of way too many out of them, whether that was their MLB contribution or their value as a potential trade chip.

That's why you stockpile them and don't trade them wily nily. If you trade a couple and the ones you have left are the ones who don't pan out you're back at square one.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

it was noted earlier here or on brewcrew ball that stearns was putting a time limit on contract offers to fa so the agents couldn't spend days shopping the brewers offer to other teams for days....I would hope he tells the marlins the same thing....here it is...u want it take it or we will look elsewhere

Craig Mish, who also was the main media person on top of all the Giancarlo Stanton updates from a Miami perspective, on the 2:00 PM Eastern Wednesday "Sirius/XM Fantasy Baseball Show" -- subscribers to the app can also listen to the archive, these are not direct quotes, but me summarizing his comments from an 11-minute conversation. Several of the comments come from "sources Mish trusts".

As many as 25 teams have shown interest, but there are only a handful of serious suitors, and the Brewers offer is the very first offer the Marlins consider a serious offer.

The Marlins are hoping to leverage this info to pit clubs against each other in bidding (perhaps that is why Mish has this information, to get the word out). Mish thinks the Marlins would be playing this info off two-to-three other teams to increase trade value.

Miami is becoming much more serious about trading Yelich, they see limiting positives in having him remain, considering Yelich's stated case of not wanting to be there any longer (irreparable).

Back in December, when the Marlins went to Yelich to give him a heads-up that Stanton would not be here, Yelich privately "lost it". His public comments came later, mainly via his agent.

Other chips likely need to fall in free agency before a trade becomes a reality (maybe Lorenzo Cain in a short-term settle deal).

There was an interesting discussion about holding on to Yelich, because invariably when someone goes down elsewhere (see Adam Eaton, A.J. Pollock, circa 2017), Yelich could be worth even more by around the All-Star Break, but that only works is if Yelich performs this April/May/June, and the pressure on Yelich to perform in front of Marlins fans within a reduced lineup, in a uniform he's denounced, may actually de-value him.

Makes me believe the Brewers are being used as a pawn. Hopefully Stearns puts a "put up or shut up" deadline on Jeter's lap.

I would call it off.....they asked for our best offer....we gave it to them...they had 2 days to look for better offer now they want us to wait longer....the heck with it.....yelich is good.....but he is not Bryce harper or mike trout....heck he is not even in the class of gio Stanton.....or joey votto....or altuve........go after Abreu from the chisox....along with a pitcher for Broxton....dubon ...Ortiz and thames

That......works in........movies..........not...........in real.............life.

Sure, but you don't let teams shop your offers and keep you waiting as the offseason proceeds and opportunities pass you by. You can only sit on plan Yelich for so long before it hurts your offseason if it doesn't happen.

I'd have no issues telling them, if your plan is to leverage my offer, yahoo japan is going to report I'm out. Would it work. No. Don't expect it to, do expect teams to understand when I make an offer you accept or reject.

There was an interesting discussion about holding on to Yelich, because invariably when someone goes down elsewhere (see Adam Eaton, A.J. Pollock, circa 2017), Yelich could be worth even more by around the All-Star Break, but that only works if Yelich performs this April/May/June, and the pressure on Yelich to perform in front of Marlins fans within a reduced lineup, in a uniform he's denounced, may actually de-value him.

Starting to feel like this all may be much ado about nothing. I hope not because I truly value Yelich and think he is potentially a Top 20 offensive talent in MLB, but I won't be devastated if the Brewers move on if they feel they are being jerked around by the Marlins FO.

Let me start off by saying that I truly appreciate HH19 and your inside information. This has at least made this week very interesting, after a very boring off season thus far. However, whomever is feeding you these %'s, might want to learn to be a little more conservative in their projections for the likelihood of these deals happening.

I think we had 80% on the rumor that came out Sunday night, and then it got ramped up to 95% for the Yelich trade. I realize that both may still happen, but at this point it looks like you'd have to characterize both of these deals in a current holding pattern and probably more around 50% (and maybe 33% on Yelich if there are two other teams in a bidding war right now).

It happens in real life all the time, I don't know specifically about baseball, but in the business world deals are called off all the time for the dumbest reasons.

Damnit, this trade isnt gonna happen either isnt it...........

Nothing burger 2.0

Really starting to look that way... I was really looking forward to adding Yelich!

Not if the Brewers' offer is being used as a pawn. Likely means that the Brewers' offer includes high-end "name" prospects that the Marlins may not be too high on. Which likely means names like Brinson and Ortiz or maybe Phillips ... names that have appeared on Top Prospect lists for several years.

Sure, but you don't let teams shop your offers and keep you waiting as the offseason proceeds and opportunities pass you by. You can only sit on plan Yelich for so long before it hurts your offseason if it doesn't happen.

I'd have no issues telling them, if your plan is to leverage my offer, yahoo japan is going to report I'm out. Would it work. No. Don't expect it to, do expect teams to understand when I make an offer you accept or reject.

The Marlins know the Brewers aren't going to wait forever, and they run the risk the Brewers move on and make a deal with someone else. At the same time, the Brewers have apparently made more than one offer, so they're playing the game too. So sure, there's deadlines but I think it's a little more subtle that "you have 24 hours or we're moving on"

Stearns has seemed to quickly develop a very good reputation as a GM you can deal with, judging from the large number of teams he's traded with and come close to trading with. You don't get that reputation by throwing around the used car salesman gimmicks.

Archived