Brewer Fanatic

Christian Yelich

OH boy that is not good news HH hopefully DS stands down getting really nervous especially for a guy that not a franchise player

We get it, you don't think Yelich is a franchise player. No need to beat it to death.

Talented guy, lots of years of control. I'm good with giving up a haul for him.

How could you say it isn't good news when no one actually knows the offer?

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OH boy that is not good news HH hopefully DS stands down getting really nervous especially for a guy that not a franchise player

We get it, you don't think Yelich is a franchise player. No need to beat it to death.

Talented guy, lots of years of control. I'm good with giving up a haul for him.

How could you say it isn't good news when no one actually knows the offer?

That

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

If "and Friends" includes Realmuto, it will take a pretty massive haul for me to be overly disappointed with it. Barraclough would be a nice inclusion too, but wouldn't make me feel as good about giving up a ton as JT would. Taking Castro off their hands would be okay if we're not able to re-sign Walker, but I wouldn't give up any extra pieces for him. No one else on the roster really entices me much.

Why on earth does every made up offer on these boards always includes Isan Diaz? Geez, it's maddening.

I agree. How quickly people forget. Diaz was the team's 2016 Minor League Player of the Year, and is still extremely young. He is a Blue Chip prospect! He's arguably more athletic than Hiura, and has a better power profile. Plus, we have no idea if Hiura can stick at 2B, and he has injury concerns. He is by no means a "can't miss" prospect.

Having two high-end 2B prospects is a great position to be in. Actually, its three if you throw in Dubon.

I explained this on a previous page but for me it has nothing to do with not liking Isan. It has to do with the kind of prospects it's going to require to get Diaz. Deal from a position of strength. I'd be open to moving Hiura instead, but he would need to be very highly valued in the deal.

In the days of basically instant communication, it's lame that it takes so long to create and finalize these deals.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I will admit that my curiosity is getting the best of me. I am wondering who the "friends" are that would be coming with Yelich, what our original offer was and how it was raised. Also curious if the plan would be to keep all of all of the pieces that we get from Miami or if any of those could get flipped.

Really curious who HH thinks would "win" the trade based on his understanding of it. Of course that's with the normal caveats that we have no idea how prospects progress, potential injuries, etc.

Really just hungry for some type of news, but don't want the front office to do something stupid just to make a splash. The pace of this off season league wide has been horrible.

If Castro is included the group of prospects actually lessens and Villar has to be going to Miami.

Yelich CF

Castro 2B

Braun LF

Shaw 3B

Santana RF

Thames/Aguilar 1B

Pina/Vogt C

Pitcher

Arcia SS

We don't have to deal Villar if we take Castro. I'm OK with dealing Villar later, or flipping Castro, or even listening to other offers (Castro can play SS, too, just something to think about...).

Why on earth does every made up offer on these boards always includes Isan Diaz? Geez, it's maddening.

I agree. How quickly people forget. Diaz was the team's 2016 Minor League Player of the Year, and is still extremely young. He is a Blue Chip prospect! He's arguably more athletic than Hiura, and has a better power profile. Plus, we have no idea if Hiura can stick at 2B, and he has injury concerns. He is by no means a "can't miss" prospect.

Having two high-end 2B prospects is a great position to be in. Actually, its three if you throw in Dubon.

I explained this on a previous page but for me it has nothing to do with not liking Isan. It has to do with the kind of prospects it's going to require to get Diaz. Deal from a position of strength. I'd be open to moving Hiura instead, but he would need to be very highly valued in the deal.

Exactly! I guess it all depends on how the Brewers brass values these guys and, perhaps more importantly, how opposing GMs value them. I was speaking more to the people that are kind of tossing Isan's name in as a "throw-in", and that isn't right at all. He is every bit the prospect that Burnes and Harrison are, and is dang close to Brinson. Plus he is an "up the middle" talent with some positional flexibility, which Stearns obviously covets. Because of that, I believe the team has him ranked much higher than a lot of posters here do.

I am leaning that way as well, but can't believe we wont do anything. Going back to what HH said if there are multiple scenarios in place and this is A, this would hold everything else up as well. It's also possible that some of the other team involved in those other scenarios walk away and do something else.

Maybe I just talked myself into the realization it really be nothing that happens and we go to spring training with what we have.

I am leaning that way as well, but can't believe we wont do anything. Going back to what HH said if there are multiple scenarios in place and this is A, this would hold everything else up as well. It's also possible that some of the other team involved in those other scenarios walk away and do something else.

Maybe I just talked myself into the realization it really be nothing that happens and we go to spring training with what we have.

Or maybe it's just a lot of smoke that's being blown from several sources. Kinda why it's called the Hot Stove League, right?

Honestly, though, the whole "A, B, C, D" scenario sounds very, very far fetched. I think the team will likely still make some moves, but it will be things like maybe signing Cain to an affordable deal, then trading pieces like Broxton and Santana. A big FA pitcher signing like Cobb, Lynn or even Arietta wouldn't surprise me.

Marlins are trying to create bidding war for Yelich and "Friends".

Brewers have just upped their offer........... Uggghhhh.

Once again, don't ask or even pry hints.

Should know something in a week if not sooner.

Sounds like you think their offer is an overpay. Not good for a non-pitcher and non-superstar player.

And friends sounds like Castro as part of the package.

The Marlins should absolutely be doing everything they can to maximize the quality and quantity of prospect talent they get back, so from their side of the coin it is no surprise that they would check in on every possible potential offer whether it is be multiple players paired together, or stand alone deals. The only real mistake they could make at this point in their sell-off is getting less value back by pairing one of their star players with a player carrying an undesirable contract, and at this point they have absolutely no reason or motivation to do that.

From the Brewers side of things, I am not worried at all. Stearns and company stick to their valuations of players. They aren't going to get caught up in the pursuit for a player and go beyond their comfort level. This is also where having multiple contingencies comes in. They have leverage based on the fact they haven't tied their entire off-season to one set of possibilities. They seem prepared to do whatever is in the best interest of their own ball club completely independent of outside environmental pressures.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Sounds like you think they're offer is an overpay. Not good for a non-pitcher and non-superstar player.

And friends sounds like Castro as part of the package.

Boy, it sure is a good thing that the term "overpay" is completely and 100% subjective.

"Friends" may be Castro, Chen, Prado, Ziegler, Tazawa, or even Straily or Realmuto. Weren't the Brewers rumored to have interest in Straily around the trade deadline last year?

I think Yelich is worth a whole lot. About the only thing that would make me dislike a deal for him would be if Ortiz and Burnes were included. That seems a little nuts. Yelich is just so valuable offensively and defensively, not to mention he's exactly the kind of hitter the lineup needs.

We'll see what shakes out. You have to think the Marlins have some incentive to move the guy. He's on a guaranteed deal and vocally doesn't want to be there. Based on HH's info, I have a sort of gut feeling this kind of driving up the price might leave Miami scrambling when they ask for the moon and find out it's not there. The Brewers diversity and depth of minor league talent, plus ability to pretty much immediately give the fans a young MLB OF in return, makes them pretty desirable trading partners from my perspective. It seems possible this doesn't come together quickly and then a week from now Miami is back hoping the Brewers best off still stands.

Do you still give it a roughly 95% shot of happening?

Do you still give it a roughly 95% shot of happening?

I'll go with no but I'm curious to see the answer from HH19.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

We aren’t necessarily overpaying if 1) we get the guy(s) we want. Each team values players differently. 2) we don’t know what was offered, maybe we low balled them knowing we had to at some point go up.

It’s all relative to whoever Stearns views to have value now and in the future. Harsh reality is, we may view it differently. Could be good or bad.

I would call it off.....they asked for our best offer....we gave it to them...they had 2 days to look for better offer now they want us to wait longer....the heck with it.....yelich is good.....but he is not Bryce harper or mike trout....heck he is not even in the class of gio Stanton.....or joey votto....or altuve........go after Abreu from the chisox....along with a pitcher for Broxton....dubon ...Ortiz and thames

I would take altuve and votto over yelich ....anyday of the week

You missed the point. It isn't who you would take. It is the value of those players under the current situation, ie contracts they have.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived