Brewer Fanatic

Christian Yelich

I know we have discussed Yelich in multiple threads, but having a dedicated thread to him is appropriate given his apparent availability. I don't know what it is precisely about his profile, but he just seems to be a Stearns-type player. High AVG/OBP whose power numbers would likely jump in Miller Park. If the Brewers were looking to diversify the offense (meaning more contact, less strikeouts) I wonder if the Brewers would explore a Yelich-Domingo Santana trade. Yelich struck out 137 in 695 PA (20% K-rate), whereas Domingo struck out 178 in 607 PA (29% K-rate). Yelich would cost more, whereas Domingo is relatively cheap but is still a 30 HR bat. I would love the Brewers to cut down on the Ks and improve the D at the same time. Additionally, as I mentioned, putting Yelich in Miller Park would likely see an increase to 25-30 HR.

I would do this move immediately. I wonder if the Marlins would.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yelich is a guy who could really thrive outside of Marlins park. The last three years, his OPS at home is .763. On the road it is .867.

Good point. His power numbers might really spike here, I'd bet a lot of his doubles/deep outs to right field would be HR to that short porch in right.

I would be all over trading Brinson for Yelich. Obviously there would be other players involved in the trade but I'm not sold on Brinson ever being healthy enough to even make a difference for a MLB team. Time is right to trade on that potential value for some real value.

Could we figure out a trade that could include someone like Kyle Barraclough to bolster our pen up a bit as well? Or maybe a guy like Brad Ziegler who is owed $9M next season and has had a pretty nice career. Or possibly Caleb Smith. A 25-year old that has done very well in the minor leagues, had a sniff with the Yanks and hasn't seen the majors since?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Just hearing the smoke coming out of Marlins Park that they are shedding all money and starting new ... we seem to be a great partner for a guy like Yelich. Brinson is the type of prospect a team like that wants to develop, throw in something else as dressing and get the deal done.

Add in the fact that he's a lefty bat (and can hit left-handed pitching), can play all outfield positions, team-friendly contract, I'd be all for it. As mentioned before, leaving that massive park will only make his numbers even better. I would prefer Brinson to be traded for a SP, but for Yelich (and maybe Gordon?) I'd use him as the main piece.

Add in the fact that he's a lefty bat (and can hit left-handed pitching), can play all outfield positions, team-friendly contract, I'd be all for it. As mentioned before, leaving that massive park will only make his numbers even better. I would prefer Brinson to be traded for a SP, but for Yelich (and maybe Gordon?) I'd use him as the main piece.

If Brinson is to be moved, then I would prefer to hold him for SP as well which is why I floated the idea of Santana. If the Brewers could somehow package Phillips and Ortiz for Yelich and hold Santana and Brinson as possible pieces for an SP, that would be amazing. A healthy combination of Braun-Brinson-Yelich or Braun-Yelich-Santana could be one of baseball's best in 2018.

I see no reason why the Marlins would part with Yelich taking on Santana, unless Santana was the best offer. Yelich is someone I believe will explode in numbers when moved away from Miami. You're getting a 4-5WAR player that somewhere else could just be a 5+WAR player who never costs more than 15mil in a year. I'd expect a team needs to part with a Brinson level prospect with 6years full team control, and more for Yelich. Brinson, Ortiz or Burnes, and Trent Grisham or Corey Ray. They are rebuilding, not retooling.

I honestly have no idea why Miami is entertaining trading Yelich. He's going to be 26 for all of next season and you have him for 5 years at a little more than 12mil avg per year. You can't possibly tell me a guy not making over 10 mil for another 2 seasons is too much a commitment to hold on to with Consistent talent in rebuilding. Why trade him today and not 2 or 3 years if ever? Stanton makes sense, Ozuna makes sense, and Gordon. Not Yelich unless it was a monster return. Yelich was a top 15-25 prospect in own right and living up to it with a boatload of cheap control. So maybe it should become Brinson, Burnes, and Ortiz with say Nottingham. to be the value asked for in Yelich. The difference in his '16 season vs '17 was basically 3HRs and 14pts better in avg. And you know he hit HRs more on the road. So how high does he climb when 5 more HRs are added to his stats over just 5 outs? Yelich should be used after these trades as the face of the Franchise to build around. Trading him along with the 3 or 4 others leave them with JT Realmuto and nobody else. The players traded for?

I see no reason why the Marlins would part with Yelich taking on Santana, unless Santana was the best offer. Yelich is someone I believe will explode in numbers when moved away from Miami. You're getting a 4-5WAR player that somewhere else could just be a 5+WAR player who never costs more than 15mil in a year. I'd expect a team needs to part with a Brinson level prospect with 6years full team control, and more for Yelich. Brinson, Ortiz or Burnes, and Trent Grisham or Corey Ray. They are rebuilding, not retooling.

I honestly have no idea why Miami is entertaining trading Yelich. He's going to be 26 for all of next season and you have him for 5 years at a little more than 12mil avg per year. You can't possibly tell me a guy not making over 10 mil for another 2 seasons is too much a commitment to hold on to with Consistent talent in rebuilding. Why trade him today and not 2 or 3 years if ever? Stanton makes sense, Ozuna makes sense, and Gordon. Not Yelich unless it was a monster return. Yelich was a top 15-25 prospect in own right and living up to it with a boatload of cheap control. So maybe it should become Brinson, Burnes, and Ortiz with say Nottingham. to be the value asked for in Yelich. The difference in his '16 season vs '17 was basically 3HRs and 14pts better in avg. And you know he hit HRs more on the road. So how high does he climb when 5 more HRs are added to his stats over just 5 outs? Yelich should be used after these trades as the face of the Franchise to build around. Trading him along with the 3 or 4 others leave them with JT Realmuto and nobody else. The players traded for?

You do realize that young pitching is far more valuable than young hitting right? Burnes and Ortiz probably have more combined value than yelich on their own. Both will be top 100 guys and again they are pitchers, likely mid rotation or better.

We can take JT Realmuto in the deal as well. I don't care what the Marlins are thinking. If they want to move these quality players, let's get in on it!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Santana is probably a reasonable starting point, but I agree with bcd80 that the Marlins would be looking for prospects, not guys who are nearing arby. They would demand Brinson as the starting point, with a few more prospects added on.

At that price, it doesn't make sense to me to make the trade, as we are already sitting pretty good in the OF and we are going to need good prospects transitioning to the majors if we want to remain competitive over the long haul. I'd rather use our extra cash to get some pitching and go into the season with Braun/Brinson/Phillips/Santana in the OF. Yelich is a good player, but the marginal upgrade from what we have to him isn't as big as the marginal upgrade we could get by adding a couple free agent setup guys and another SP.

If we trade our star-potential prospects for more expensive guys at the same position with less control, we will eventually end up with an expensive roster and a weak farm. We need to promote our star-potential prospects and trade away the "surplus" guys who are talented but don't have a clear path to the majors with the Brewers.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/marlins-told-giancarlo-stanton-accept-trade-theyll-deal-everyone-else-005323854.html

This story makes it sound like the only way they're going to trade players like Yelich is if Stanton insists on coming back. Sounds like they're really just trying to get out from under his contract, but if he executes his no-trade clause, then they will trade away other higher-priced players to bring the payroll down.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/marlins-told-giancarlo-stanton-accept-trade-theyll-deal-everyone-else-005323854.html

This story makes it sound like the only way they're going to trade players like Yelich is if Stanton insists on coming back. Sounds like they're really just trying to get out from under his contract, but if he executes his no-trade clause, then they will trade away other higher-priced players to bring the payroll down.

Sounds like a bluff then. Trying to get a player to accept a trade because if he doesn't, he'll be stuck with a bunch of castoffs.

Sounds like a bluff then. Trying to get a player to accept a trade because if he doesn't, he'll be stuck with a bunch of castoffs.

I couldn't agree more actually. Like the Marlins would doom their franchise to what 8 years of losing because they want to maximize their return as they get out of Stantons contract. If I was Stanton, I would absolutely stick to my guns about which locations I'd approve a trade to. From what I've read, he prefers the Dodgers but would accept a number of teams. Many teams including San Francisco(not too far from LA) are willing to offer significant packages for Stanton. This is the biggest offseason the Marlins will have for a long time, it would really be something if new ownership came in and screwed it up right away.

• 2 weeks later...
With the Marlins dumping Stanton AND Ozuna, can we assume that they might be even more willing to move Yelich now? If we do end up trading Santana, we could move in on Yelich and still have a very good OF.

I can't express how badly I want Yelich on this team.

Rf...Phillips/broxton

Cf...Yelich/broxton

Lf... Braun/Yelich

Man trade santana to Oak or Manaea, Braun to SF for balls, Get Yelich at Fire Sale prices and I'd soo happy. Just a dream but soo happy. Hell while dreaming... Yelich in, no brinson or phillips out. Build it around Ray.

I can't express how badly I want Yelich on this team.

Rf...Phillips/broxton

Cf...Yelich/broxton

Lf... Braun/Yelich

Man trade santana to Oak or Manaea, Braun to SF for balls, Get Yelich at Fire Sale prices and I'd soo happy. Just a dream but soo happy. Hell while dreaming... Yelich in, no brinson or phillips out. Build it around Ray.

Second that...but I would try and build it around Santana, who can't be a FA until after the 2021 season (4 full seasons in arbitration). Yelich is a steal at 4 year ~$43m, with a team option to make it 5 years @ $58. Yelich is a superstar in the making.

Yelich is going to cost a massive haul. Like him as a player but no thank you. I don't think the Marlins would want Santana in the return or at least not to be built around in the trade.

Why would the Marlins trade Yelich, under contract on a 5-year, affordable deal for Santana, who is affordable for 4 years? Santana won't be on any competitive Marlins teams. They're going to want low level minors players.

I'd love to have Yelich too, but I just don't see how this would work out for us - as we need starting pitching much more right now. I just don't think we can give the Marlins the haul they'd want for Yelich and still have enough to go out and get a starting pitcher. Unless if we plan to get our SP through F/A and not via a trade, which I guess is possible. But, it would still be odd for us to go out and get a guy like Yelich when we already have an abundance of OF's to begin with.

Yelich is going to cost a massive haul. Like him as a player but no thank you. I don't think the Marlins would want Santana in the return or at least not to be built around in the trade.

Why would the Marlins trade Yelich, under contract on a 5-year, affordable deal for Santana, who is affordable for 4 years? Santana won't be on any competitive Marlins teams. They're going to want low level minors players.

Even better...I will gladly build a deal for Yelich for low level prospects not named Burnes or Hiura. I understand the Brewers are rich in OF prospects but are any of them superstars? For Yelich, I am willing to deal most anyone as I think he is right on the cusp of being a superstar. Trade for him now because it might be too late in the summer or winter of 2018.

The Brewers have a surplus of outfielders. I'm not convinced that in 2 years Yelich will be better than whichever of our CF prospects wins the job full time (Brinson, Phillips, Harrison etc)
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived