Brewer Fanatic

Sean Manaea

Mudville9

After touching upon the amount prospects we will have to protect next year, would it make sense to go after someone like Sean Manaea, especially with Nelson down? A's are usually willing to deal anyone for the right price, I'm just not sure what the right price would be.

He's young, has decent minor league stats and he's a lefty. Maybe we could find a match.

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Manaea is an interesting guy with a lot of potential. He's had some minor injuries, and his numbers aren't great - just average. But at 26 (in Feb.), he's young and got 5 years of control. Thus, he'll cost a lot. Not Christ Archer cost - but a lot.

The thing is that Billy Beane is often willing to deal anyone for what he likes - so it can't hurt to ask. I'm guessing he'd want major league ready players. The A's have terrible outfielders, so there might be a match there. Would Phillips be enough to build a deal around? Broxton would need something more to the mix.

The A's have a lot of young (and unproven) starters - so they may not want to deal Manaea. He's probably their best pitcher (with Gray traded).

Manaea is an interesting guy with a lot of potential. He's had some minor injuries, and his numbers aren't great - just average. But at 26 (in Feb.), he's young and got 5 years of control. Thus, he'll cost a lot. Not Christ Archer cost - but a lot.

The thing is that Billy Beane is often willing to deal anyone for what he likes - so it can't hurt to ask. I'm guessing he'd want major league ready players. The A's have terrible outfielders, so there might be a match there. Would Phillips be enough to build a deal around? Broxton would need something more to the mix.

The A's have a lot of young (and unproven) starters - so they may not want to deal Manaea. He's probably their best pitcher (with Gray traded).

Interesting that Phillips is exactly who I thought of also for a potential Manaea trade. I would absolutely be interested in a Manaea for Phillips. Maybe Ray would be of interest to the A's as well. I think Manaea has mid-rotation potential and would gladly move either or both of those two in a deal for Manaea.

Interesting that Phillips is exactly who I thought of also for a potential Manaea trade. I would absolutely be interested in a Manaea for Phillips. Maybe Ray would be of interest to the A's as well. I think Manaea has mid-rotation potential and would gladly move either or both of those two in a deal for Manaea.

Didn't the A's decline our trade proposal for Sonny Gray because Phillips and/or Ray were a part of it? Not sure Billy wants either player. I think Manaea would be a good fit, but imo it would take more than either one of those players to get him.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
One thing about the A's is that they may put Franklin Baretto - their top prospect - in CF. Of course, they could move him to a corner spot as well - or he could go to 2B. They also have Dustin Fowler, who has played some CF. But he could easily be shifted to a corner spot.

Didn't the A's decline our trade proposal for Sonny Gray because Phillips and/or Ray were a part of it? Not sure Billy wants either player. I think Manaea would be a good fit, but imo it would take more than either one of those players to get him.

Bob Nightengale reported at the trade deadline that the As insisted that Brinson be in a deal for Sonny. Manaea has more value than Gray, so it starts at Brinson +

Sean Manaea is the pitcher I was hoping the Brewers would make a run at this past trade deadline. I am skeptical that the A’s would consider trading him with so many years of control remaining (controlled through 2022), but if so I would love for the Brewers to make them an offer. I was able to watch a couple of his starts last year and he has a really good slider when he can command it.

I don’t know what it might take to get Manaea if the A’s were willing to deal him, but my guess is that if the Brewers were able to avoid giving up Brinson, it would be something along the lines of a package that included Luis Ortiz (or Corbin Burnes), Brett Phillips, and Monte Harrison. Admittedly that still may be a little light.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Only thing that could keep Manaea's price down a bit is that he's a virtual lock to be a super-two so he's only cheap for one more year and that fourth year of arbitration could be a really big number. I only think the A's entertain trading him if another teams is willing to over-pay to get him. Probably would have to pay at a 3 WAR average over the next five years and even with super-two status it would put the price-tag in the Jose Quintana range.

Manaea = Zach Davies.

What a strange comparison. I don't see that one at all.

I'd deal Brinson in the right trade, but this isn't it. Phillips and/or Ray? Sure.

Have you looked through their stat lines? Minors and majors? Advanced stats and all. Very close in numbers and close in age.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Manaea = Zach Davies.

What a strange comparison. I don't see that one at all.

I'd deal Brinson in the right trade, but this isn't it. Phillips and/or Ray? Sure.

Have you looked through their stat lines? Minors and majors? Advanced stats and all. Very close in numbers and close in age.

I thought I was the only one totally missing on Manaea with all the people wanting to give up our #1 prospect for him. I've followed him through my dynasty fantasy baseball team. He seems like a middle of the rotation guy at best. Not someone you trade an overall top 10-20 prospect for.

Manaea = Zach Davies.

Hmmm don’t see it all, completely different pitchers.

Frames completely different

Manaea 6’5 245 Lefty

Davies 6’0 (maybe) 155 Righty

Manaea sits 92-93 for average

Davies 90

Manaea was a K monster in minors 28+% 10+ per 9 who tends to walk 8% or 3+ per 9

Davies is command contact pitcher who has low Ks but doesn’t walk many.

Manaea was always projected as frontline headliner.... Davies back end craft guy.

Idk don’t see it at all. Manaea as all the talent to be at TOR guy but still learning to find success at this level & be as dominant as he was in minors. Davies is consistent at what he does but I would never say he’s TOR talent. He is who he is.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Manaea = Zach Davies.

Hmmm don’t see it all, completely different pitchers.

Frames completely different

Manaea 6’5 245 Lefty

Davies 6’0 (maybe) 155 Righty

Manaea sits 92-93 for average

Davies 90

Manaea was a K monster in minors 28+% 10+ per 9 who tends to walk 8% or 3+ per 9

Davies is command contact pitcher who has low Ks but doesn’t walk many.

Manaea was always projected as frontline headliner.... Davies back end craft guy.

Idk don’t see it at all. Manaea as all the talent to be at TOR guy but still learning to find success at this level & be as dominant as he was in minors. Davies is consistent at what he does but I would never say he’s TOR talent. He is who he is.

Good breakdown. I honestly just saw the numbers and Davies popped in my head. I looked at stat lines and they were pretty similar numbers wise. Maybe they are not the same pitchers but so far they’ve been similar in getting the jobs done. Maybe that says more about Davies than Manaea.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

In Brewer terms, Manaea is closer to Manny Parra but hopefully with a way better mindset. Parra self destructed but boy was he talented coming up. To bad that if he made a mistake he would hang head & blow up & not be able to recover for months at a time.

Both bigger lefties, have big K stuff when on. Good volocity & breaking stuff. Coming out both were Top 10 talents. Parra if you remember was draft & follow & before Brewers signed him his stock was with the best. Both consider TOR guys coming up through system.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

It is pretty interesting looking at the MLB numbers of Manaea and Davies over the last two seasons.

Sean Manaea = 303 1/3 innings, 4.12 ERA, 4.09 FIP, 101 ERA+, 1.30 WHIP, 9.0 H/9, 1.1 HR/9, 2.7 BB/9, 7.8 K/9, 2.87 K/BB

Zach Davies = 354 2/3 innings, 3.93 ERA, 4.07 FIP, 109 ERA+, 1.31 WHIP, 9.4 H/9, 1.0 HR/9, 2.4 BB/9, 6.6 K/9, 2.78 K/BB

Manaea born in February 1992 and Davies born in February 1993 so Davies is a year younger than Manaea.

No question that when watching these two players that the difference between them is like night and day. But so far the effectiveness as MLB pitchers is nearly identical. Maybe Manaea takes that next step and becomes an ace pitcher? But after last year's All-Star break Davies posted a 2.87 ERA. If he can do that over roughly half a season, why would it be impossible for him to do that over a full season?

If a team trades for Manaea, they will be paying the "what Manaea could be" price because the A's won't be selling him for less. While I'm perfectly happy with Davies and think he's a very valuable player for the Brewers, if a team trades for "what Manaea could be" and ends up with a Zach Davies level performance they will very likely have overpaid and it will have been a disappointing trade from their end.

It is pretty interesting looking at the MLB numbers of Manaea and Davies over the last two seasons.

Sean Manaea = 303 1/3 innings, 4.12 ERA, 4.09 FIP, 101 ERA+, 1.30 WHIP, 9.0 H/9, 1.1 HR/9, 2.7 BB/9, 7.8 K/9, 2.87 K/BB

Zach Davies = 354 2/3 innings, 3.93 ERA, 4.07 FIP, 109 ERA+, 1.31 WHIP, 9.4 H/9, 1.0 HR/9, 2.4 BB/9, 6.6 K/9, 2.78 K/BB

Manaea born in February 1992 and Davies born in February 1993 so Davies is a year younger than Manaea.

No question that when watching these two players that the difference between them is like night and day. But so far the effectiveness as MLB pitchers is nearly identical. Maybe Manaea takes that next step and becomes an ace pitcher? But after last year's All-Star break Davies posted a 2.87 ERA. If he can do that over roughly half a season, why would it be impossible for him to do that over a full season?

If a team trades for Manaea, they will be paying the "what Manaea could be" price because the A's won't be selling him for less. While I'm perfectly happy with Davies and think he's a very valuable player for the Brewers, if a team trades for "what Manaea could be" and ends up with a Zach Davies level performance they will very likely have overpaid and it will have been a disappointing trade from their end.

Thanks for putting this together. I wasn't saying Manaea is Davies clone but just that his numbers were very similar. I'm lazy...

Archived