Brewer Fanatic

rhp michael brady minor league deal; non-roster invitee

djoctagone

the minor league deal for rhp michael brady was first mentioned in this thread, but confirmed here that he will be in major league camp as a non-roster invitee.

if added to the 40-man roster, brady has one minor league option remaining. he has been outrighted to the minor leagues before, so if the brewers try to outright him off the 40-man roster after adding him, he can refuse the minor league assignment and become a free agent.

Don't know anything about the guy; his major league stat line from 2017 doesn't look impressive. But the 6+ K/BB ratio in the minors is intriguing; 9 K/9 and 1.5 BB/9. Either way, not much of a downside to inviting and evaluating NRIs.

Low risk signing for a guy who has a chance to have a role on the 2018 MLB roster. Stearns makes a lot of seemingly minor moves through the offseason, and sometimes they pay dividends. I like guys with good K:BB ratios, so I like the pickup. He'll probably be AAA depth, but maybe he can be a guy Counsell can call on who won't come in and walk his way into a tough situation.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Given how volatile relievers are this type of signing is a necessary part in building a decent relief corps. I hope to see several more of them. It isn't as sexy as signing an established big league player but it's as important to a team's success as anything.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Harmless signing, but I almost think that if he doesn't make the MLB roster, he may as well be cut. A pitcher who throws a mid-upper 80's cutter with a tendency to get hit and give up home runs is a bad fit for CS.

I would think there's a good chance he is cut then. He could also go to AA. This guy is probably more or less one of those extra arms to eat innings in spring while the other pitchers are on strict workloads.

• 3 months later...

Archived