Brewer Fanatic

Trading Villar

Devinep
I like this. If Villar/Broxton gets you Yelich/Gordon then maybe Oliver Drake gets you Kershaw.

I think the thought process is the idea of salary sheds for cheap inexpensive pieces. While highly unlikely, I could see something like this if a team were willing to take on Chen as well.

Why would the Marlins completely de-value one of their best assets by forcing a team to take Chen? If they want to shed salary, they trade Yelich for prospects, who you pay almost nothing to in the minors and the minimum in the majors and if they're not ready sign some crap player for less than a million to fill the slot until the prospect is ready to take over.

Stanton? Sure I could see them taking on money to get a better return while still shedding significant salary. Yelich? There's no point in doing that since he makes so little.

I agree with you in principle about not devaluing Yelich. If I were them, I would maximize Yelich by trading him alone as well. However, everything you read about the Marlins is they want out from long term deals. If they truly want out from under that Chen contract, 3 years $52 million with a vesting option that could make it 4 years $68 million which takes him through age 35, how else do you do that without attaching him to someone like Yelich?

If I were the Marlins, I would approach the Brewers, or a similar team, and say we will give you Yelich and Chen but you have to take on all of Chen's $ and give us a top prospect and a lottery ticket. Yelich and Chen for Brinson and say a Bickford/Ponce/Supak type prospect. The Marlins still get a top 15 prospect and get out from under an albatross contract in Chen. Is that more important than prospect quantity? Yelich alone could fetch the Marlins a better package of say Brinson, Ortiz + type deal but they still have the weight of Chen's deal.

What is more important to the Marlins would be fascinating to know.

• 2 weeks later...
How about Broxton and Villar and other pieces (Ortez?)

for

Starlin Castro and Jose Urena?

They shed salary again, we fill 2b and controllable starting pitcher.

Would love this depending on who the other "pieces" are.

Broxton, Villar and Ortiz and I couldn't sign on the dotted line fast enough!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

All in on Castro if it just cost Villar.

Castro is under contract for two more years, puts no pressure on Brewers bringing up Hiura too early

Villar isn't going to get them a 4 time All Star still in his prime and relatively cheap. Be real. Villar and Broxton won't either.

Castro is under contract for two more years, puts no pressure on Brewers bringing up Hiura too early

Villar isn't going to get them a 4 time All Star still in his prime and relatively cheap. Be real. Villar and Broxton won't either.

Never said it would, but if they are really looking at cutting cost, I would give them Villar plus two of the following - Diaz/Lutz/Supak/Ponce

I think this "shed salary" idea has gone a bit far.

Will the Marlins give up $260 million dollars worth of Giancarlo Stanton for essentially nothing in return? Yes.

Will the Marlins attach something of value to get rid of Chen's $55 guaranteed remaining? Possibly.

Will the Marlins give up good, productive (in some cases very good) players like Yelich, Castro, Ozuna, Barraclough for lesser current MLB players to save $3-4 million bucks/year on the contracts? No. If they were pondering this Villar offer for Castro, 10 other teams will swoop in and offer a valuable prospect or two and beat the offer.

um yeah a real 4 time all star with his career .282/.320/.413/.733 line. And just an average defender.

Can't wait then for sure on the All-Stars lining up for Arcia after his .277/.324/.407/.731 with borderline elite Defense at this point.

Villar's career line is .256/.325/.397/.722 a projection of .268/.338/.430/.768 by BRef fot 2018 and making less than Castro.

I'd think Miami would be happy to swap Castro for Villar straight up. I'd hate the deal personally, as I don't see Castro as a game changer. Villar when he is on base can with his basestealing, albeit one that has some poor tendencies.

I mean where is Castro in the Milwaukee batting order? 7th? It's not like he carries a 1 or 2 OBP.

An article from Blue Jays reporter Shi Davidi, MLB off-season just getting started after quiet winter meetings, includes these couple of passage...

Among trade possibilities the Blue Jays are believed to have interest in are Milwaukee’s Jonathan Villar, Philadelphia’s Cesar Hernandez and Freddy Galvis, and San Diego’s Yangervis Solarte and Cory Spangenberg.

The Cardinals, Brewers and Reds are all thought to want relief help and given how the market for high-leverage, non-closer relievers surged this week – Tommy Hunter got $18 million over two years from the Phillies and the appropriate emoji for that doesn’t yet exist – the Blue Jays’ stable of controllable, inexpensive relievers are suddenly an even more desirable commodity they can possibly leverage.

"We’re really excited about Roberto Osuna, Ryan Tepera, Dominic Leone, Danny Barnes," Atkins said of the value of his relievers. "That’s a difference-making aspect of our year and continues to provide us depth. Also, that market, there’s some depth to it, so we’ll be able to be opportunistic there later in the off-season."

Not just “at Night” anymore.

A team needing a 2B would still need a 2B after acquiring Villar.

If a team acquired him they probably aren’t so negative on him like a lot of poster here. I would assume he would start.

I’d agree that a team acquiring him would likely think of starting or at least playing him significantly. But if they did that they’d also likely only look at 2016 and not much else.

He absolutely sucked last year, has never been good defensively, and wasn’t the top prospect I think some people imagine he was. Because if he was, Cy Sneed wouldn’t have landed him. Not to mention his stupidity on the bases

A team needing a 2B would still need a 2B after acquiring Villar.

If a team acquired him they probably aren’t so negative on him like a lot of poster here. I would assume he would start.

Or they move him to CF to see if he has a future there.

Archived