Brewer Fanatic

MLB drops hammer on ATL

homer
I think it's kind of crappy that teams can use pool money from 2018-2019 on these players. Maitan gets to keep his original bonus, and now teams being able to use their 2018-2019 money Maitan will likely get another pretty big bonus. Maybe he wasn't aware of what was going on, but certainly his "representative" was. So why should a player that was involved in a transaction that was clearly against the rules be able to double-dip the system and get another big bonus? It's just like MLB is inviting representatives to keep "bundling" these player when the ramifications result in the players (and likely the representatives) getting paid twice. IMO the league should work towards putting a pretty low cap on a bonus the player can sign for if caught in an illegal transaction.

This is a good point. It takes two to tango. Either the players or at least their agents knew what was going on. No way they should escape punishment. If they do, any time someone gets a PED suspension they just need to say their organization made them do it and they'll get off.

I guess I wouldn't punish the players, that probably have no idea how this works and are relying on their agent. Of course if they are keeping their original bonus, I don't see that they should be able to double-dip either though. I guess I don't have the best information on how to handle that.

It seems to me that MLB should be able to suspend/punish the agent in some way, shape or form.

I see the players can not use the same agent when going back into the pool, but I don't see how that stops agents from continuing down the dark side.

Good. If the MLB wants to have its rules followed, they have to be willing to lay the hammer down.

A lot of new rules have been put in play to try to even out the playing field, and GMs and agents will be a lot less enthusiastic about find a way around the rules if they know they can get lifetime bans for doing so.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Former GM John Coppolella is banned for life. Wow. That's an axe - not a hammer.

That seems...excessive.

Sounds like the lifetime ban was prompted by the fact Coppolella has threatened litigation and would not cooperate with the investigation.

Im sure banning him for life is really going to stop him from suing.

Archived