Brewer Fanatic

Kevin Maitan

He's gonna be a free agent, and while he wasn't an instant success in the minors last season, he's make a great signing. Supposedly there will be limitations placed on him and anyone else the Braves have to give up, so maybe the Brewers can take advantage and sign him.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
He's gonna be a free agent, and while he wasn't an instant success in the minors last season, he's make a great signing. Supposedly there will be limitations placed on him and anyone else the Braves have to give up, so maybe the Brewers can take advantage and sign him.

Interesting stuff. The guy was hugely hyped, but once he got on the field, a lot baseball people were wondering what all the fuss was about. Still he's only 17 - and we should pursue the guy - we'd be fools not to look into him.

Signing Gilbert Lara is how you get a Miggy though. Think about Monte. He was all tools and it’s finally coming together. I’m all about signing Mailan if we can fit it in. Most of this year’s international money is gone, from what I’ve seen.

"There's more people to ignore in New York or in Boston than there are in Milwaukee, but I would still ignore them, probably."

-Zack Greinke

The Twins had given one of their signees a 3 million dollar bonus and that was voided when they discovered he has a vision problem. Since they don't figure to be a player in the Otani sweepstakes, speculation is they will throw a huge chunk of money in Maitan's direction.

I'd love to have Maitan but the money the Brewers have left in this year's pool won't be enough to get it done and I'm not really in favor of them throwing over half of next year's bonus pool at Maitan. I think the Brewers are in-line for 5.75 million of bonus pool money next year so if the Twins throw their remaining money from this year at Maitan (reported to be 3.245 million), the Brewers would be forced to throw 56% of next year's bonus pool at Maitan to match the Twin's offer.

On November 8th USA Today had reported the teams with the most international bonus pool money available were. Since then some money has changed hands in trades (Miami traded 250k to Yankees), and best I can tell the teams with the most bonus pool money available stack up something like this:

Rangers = 3.533 million

Yankees = 3.50 million

Twins = 3.245 million

Pittsburgh = 2.227 million

Seattle = 1.558 million

Miami = 1.49 million

Philadelphia = 900k

Milwaukee = 765k

• 2 weeks later...

Archived