Brewer Fanatic

Brewers linked to Top Players in 2018 International Market

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With such a big bonus pool I really don't understand why we are giving so much money to high risk relatively low ceiling (Kiley's opinion) guys like these. Instead couldn't we scrape the projected 3.5+M and shoot for Mesa. Dude looks like a possible top 150 guy already with room to grow. I'll admit I have little idea how the Latin American market works. Just discussing.

If you put all of your eggs in one basket you may get Gilbert Lara. I'd be curious if someone were to go back and look at, say, the players who signed for the highest bonuses in 2009-2012 and see how many of those guys panned out. I don't have access to that data, and don't know if anyone else has either. It takes at least five years to get any type of read on 16-year-olds so I wouldn't go any more recent than 2012 or 2013.

With such a big bonus pool I really don't understand why we are giving so much money to high risk relatively low ceiling (Kiley's opinion) guys like these. Instead couldn't we scrape the projected 3.5+M and shoot for Mesa. Dude looks like a possible top 150 guy already with room to grow. I'll admit I have little idea how the Latin American market works. Just discussing.

If Kiley can accurately predict a 15-16 year olds ceiling..... some team should be paying him millions to lead international scouting. You can sign a kid like Arcia for 70k or less and have them be a top 10 prospect in all of minors. You can sign a guy for 3 million and he may not ever make it past A ball. It is a complete crapshoot. We are talking about signing kids so are 9th-10th grade. Look at how many undrafted kids in high school go to college and become high draft prospects? How many high school prospects are little known in 10th grade then big time talents by end of 12? It's all about lottery tickets. More you have, better chance to hit. I prefer we stay away from the huge signings and continue to load up on talented lottery tickets. They all have high risk and high ceilings because no 15-16 year olds talent is close to being tapped out.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

If you put all of your eggs in one basket you may get Gilbert Lara. I'd be curious if someone were to go back and look at, say, the players who signed for the highest bonuses in 2009-2012 and see how many of those guys panned out. I don't have access to that data, and don't know if anyone else has either. It takes at least five years to get any type of read on 16-year-olds so I wouldn't go any more recent than 2012 or 2013.

I am guessing it is about the same failure rate as early round draft picks maybe a little bit higher since you are dealing with 16-year old players versus 18-24 year old players.

Some bonus amounts:

Eduarqui Fernandez, OF, Dominican Republic -- Brewers ($1,100,000)

Branlyn Jaraba, SS, Colombia -- Brewers ($1,100,000)

Erys Bautista, OF, Dominican Republic -- Brewers ($500,000)

I’m really interested in Bautista. My guess is he will be a 1b or LF. He is a real big boy & from videos I’ve seen the ball just carries off his bat. Could be real good power hitter!

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Looks like Eduardo Garcia did sign with the Brewers according to the FSB Academy twitter account:

(Translated below)

On this occasion we present the # class 2018 where as an organization we cleared the curtain and made official our 8 new professional players who worked intensely, some for three long years and two others to achieve the desired dream.

They are; Eduardo Garcia (INF) @ Brewers Yohendrick Piñango (OF) @ Cubs Eduard Hidalgo (OF) @ parents Reiberth Gil (OF) @ phillies Luis Carrasco (RHP) @ athletics Andres Monzon (OF) @ astrosbaseball Rafael Castillo (INF) @ tigers and José Darío Chambuco (RHP) @ yankees

# baseball # MLB

If Kiley can accurately predict a 15-16 year olds ceiling..... some team should be paying him millions to lead international scouting. You can sign a kid like Arcia for 70k or less and have them be a top 10 prospect in all of minors. You can sign a guy for 3 million and he may not ever make it past A ball. It is a complete crapshoot. We are talking about signing kids so are 9th-10th grade. Look at how many undrafted kids in high school go to college and become high draft prospects? How many high school prospects are little known in 10th grade then big time talents by end of 12? It's all about lottery tickets. More you have, better chance to hit. I prefer we stay away from the huge signings and continue to load up on talented lottery tickets. They all have high risk and high ceilings because no 15-16 year olds talent is close to being tapped out.

I was more so referring to directing more resources toward Victor Victor Mesa (22 years old) he's way easier to project at that age and seems to have a lot less bust potential with his tools. I understand not wanting to put all your eggs in one basket, but depth has been the calling card of the Brewers' farm. I think it's time to start shooting for quality/ceiling over quantity. I imagine whoever lands Mesa trades spare parts for Baltimore's international bonus slots (notoriously stingy in L.A. market) I hope it's us.

In that money is a discrete resource, the Brewers may not have internally budgeted to spend all of their $6,025,400 international bonus pool. So if they don't sign Turang, they could shift budgeted to money over to the international side and spend more there than planned. I believe that's what he was getting at.

Thanks for clarifying. I was in fact suggesting they make look to shift where they spend the money, if they've already budgeted and ear-marked it for signing prospects. They could also trade for more international pool space in excess of their limit.

Archived