Brewer Fanatic

Are the cards making a pitch for Stanton

brewmann04

I am so curious what the end package is going to be when this trade happens. I read that the Marlins asking price is wildly ridiculous. And there's a no trade clause, so who knows if Stanton will even accept a trade or if he'll want a sweetener worked into his contract.

I also read that the Giants made a formal offer for Stanton.

I am so curious what the end package is going to be when this trade happens. I read that the Marlins asking price is wildly ridiculous. And there's a no trade clause, so who knows if Stanton will even accept a trade or if he'll want a sweetener worked into his contract.

Not that the Brewers are players in this sweepstakes, but what would ridiculous from their standpoint look like?

I imagine Brinson, Harrison, Hader and Burnes would probably be a starting point for negotiations based on "wildly ridiculous." For Giancarlo, my Brewers offer would be Domingo, Harrison and Ortiz. Take it or leave it.

Not that the Brewers are players in this sweepstakes, but what would ridiculous from their standpoint look like?

I imagine Brinson, Harrison, Hader and Burnes would probably be a starting point for negotiations based on "wildly ridiculous." For Giancarlo, my Brewers offer would be Domingo, Harrison and Ortiz. Take it or leave it.

It was probably a tweet from a sportswriter quoting another GM. It's hard to know what he considers wildly ridiculous. Maybe he thinks taking the contract off their hands is value enough, and asking for even one top prospect along with his ridiculous. I've tried figuring out what sort of value makes sense to give up for Stanton and have really struggled. How much extra in prospects does a team have to give up for the right to pay a 29 year old slugger $295 million over the next 11 years?...but potentially he could opt out after 3 years. I guess I would consider wildly ridiculous to be asking for 5 of the cardinals top 10 prospects including all of their top 3, and then a solid mlb contributor like Pham or Wacha. I'm so curious to see how this plays out.

It was probably a tweet from a sportswriter quoting another GM. It's hard to know what he considers wildly ridiculous. Maybe he thinks taking the contract off their hands is value enough, and asking for even one top prospect along with his ridiculous. I've tried figuring out what sort of value makes sense to give up for Stanton and have really struggled. How much extra in prospects does a team have to give up for the right to pay a 29 year old slugger $295 million over the next 11 years?...but potentially he could opt out after 3 years. I guess I would consider wildly ridiculous to be asking for 5 of the cardinals top 10 prospects including all of their top 3, and then a solid mlb contributor like Pham or Wacha. I'm so curious to see how this plays out.

While I don't want to see Giancarlo in St. Louis, I would love to see them completely deplete the top half of their farm system to get a player that MAYBE pushes them past the Brewers without any other moves. Go position by position and rotation and its close even with Stanton on the Cardinals.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The general talk about Stanton is that the Marlins are asking for several top prospects - and not paying down the contract. Most people seem to agree they won't get both.

It should be noted that Stanton has a no trade clause. I have heard he is not thrilled about the idea of going to St. Louis or Boston - two of his reported suitors. But we shall see.

Just read the following:

Giants/Marlins names exchanged in potential Stanton deal : (SF) 2B Joe Panik, Top Prospects SP Tyler Beede & OF Chris Shaw. (Mia) Stanton & 2B Dee Gordon

Cardinals as previously reported by @jonmorosi made offer to Marlins for Stanton. That proposal Included prospects, among them hard throwing top hurler Sandy Alcantara

No word on how much - if any - money was talked about between both sides.

Just thought I'd share.

Just read the following:

Giants/Marlins names exchanged in potential Stanton deal : (SF) 2B Joe Panik, Top Prospects SP Tyler Beede & OF Chris Shaw. (Mia) Stanton & 2B Dee Gordon

Cardinals as previously reported by @jonmorosi made offer to Marlins for Stanton. That proposal Included prospects, among them hard throwing top hurler Sandy Alcantara

Just thought I'd share.

Stanton AND Gordon?!? Holy smokes that's a lot of salary for the Giants to take on. I think that trade would end any hope of them getting under the luxury tax threshold for 2018.

Supposedly, Stanton won't approve a trade to the Cardinals

Do you have a source for this? I don't mean that question in a challenging way; I'm just really interested in knowing why Stanton doesn't want to come to StL.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-hot-stove-stanton-reportedly-wont-waive-no-trade-clause-for-cardinals-red-sox/

It was mentioned on MLB Network and MLB Radio last week also. All speculation at this point.

Just read the following:

Just thought I'd share.

If that's what is being offered for both Stanton and Gordon. I would offer Santana, Ray and Ortiz just for Stanton and (gasp!) take on his contract! Let the hate flow!! lol

I would love to see St. Louis empty the farm and outbid the Giants. I don't think he would improve the Cards as much as everyone thinks unless he is healthy for 162 games. Also, then we could trade Broxton to the Giants and hopefully get back a nice piece and a lottery ticket. I know they don't play the same position, but SF might feel like they need to make a move after missing out.
Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

I would love to see St. Louis empty the farm and outbid the Giants. I don't think he would improve the Cards as much as everyone thinks unless he is healthy for 162 games. Also, then we could trade Broxton to the Giants and hopefully get back a nice piece and a lottery ticket. I know they don't play the same position, but SF might feel like they need to make a move after missing out.

Ummm....I'm pretty sure that Broxton is going to be a ways down the Giants backup plans for their OF if they don't (or should I say, when they don't) get a deal done for Stanton. I think we'd be lucky to get two lottery ticket type prospects for Broxton.

Ummm....I'm pretty sure that Broxton is going to be a ways down the Giants backup plans for their OF if they don't (or should I say, when they don't) get a deal done for Stanton. I think we'd be lucky to get two lottery ticket type prospects for Broxton.

The lind deal wouldn't be a bad haul for Broxton. I could see the Giants targeting Broxton even if they bring on Stanton. Stanton doesn't play CF last I checked, and Broxton would be cheap.

The lind deal wouldn't be a bad haul for Broxton. I could see the Giants targeting Broxton even if they bring on Stanton. Stanton doesn't play CF last I checked, and Broxton would be cheap.

Yeah, Broxton would be a pretty nice fit for SF - whether they got Stanton or not. Pence and Span - the other corner guys - are not that good anymore, and they each only have one more year on their contract. Pence we be 35 in April - and has missed a lot of time the last few years (Span has had his injuries as well). Both guys would probably benefit from regular time off. Broxton would slot in nicely as an athletic centerfielder no matter who they have playing the corners.

Archived