Brewer Fanatic

How Do We Feel About Phil Bickford At This Point?

sheetskout

Personally, I could see Bickford shoot back up our lists this season. He just needs to throw. One of the more underrated prospects hidden in our system.

I liked the Bickford acquisition as it has a high-floor as I think he could handle a bullpen assignment at least when he peaks.

Thoughts?

My problem comes from the drug suspension and injuries.

I think he could be helpful out of the bullpen, but he could just as easily be out of baseball.

Honestly, I think that Drake Owenby and Cody Beckman are more likely to be MLB contributors than Bickford.

To state that a player could contribute or could wash out is a statement that applies to literally every single player in the system. In other words, that is not really making any statement at all.

If you look at the numbers through the end of last season he is a top ten org. player with no question. Honestly, I'm not all that worried about a player getting popped for weed. Its not my thing but I'd like to think I'm educated enough to understand the difference between weed and meth. I am worried about a guy that doesn't have the discipline to do what he has to do to succeed regardless of whether you agree with the legal status of marijuana.

If you want to ding him for his perceived lack of dedication, I understand. I just don't know that there are all that many pitchers in the org. that are genuinely more talented than Bickford. Based on pedigree alone he has a far better shot making the majors than any mid-round pick with a modicum of success in the low minors.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I know bickford is young, but I also believe I read he was more low 90s in instructs than the mid 90s he was when we got him. I don't think his offspeed stuff is good enough to make up for not being able to reach mid 90s. We'll see what he shows when he comes back in 2018, hopefully through gym work or whatnot he's able to regain some velocity and pitch effectively. I personally think he's destined for the bullpen, we have a need for good bullpen arms and his 2 better pitches would play up in the pen.

Not much, it doesn't seem like he has played since coming to the Brewers, just a name at this point and nothing more.

You said what I was thinking but didn't really want to say. I had high hopes on him, I liked him predrafts. But really what are we doing with him? 10 total games started and 2 Relief for a total of 44IP. 25Walks so bigger than 5 per 9. He'll be in A ball somewhere and with the system's depth, a guy that I don't see making it past Rule 5 draft still in Milw's system.

I think he breaks out this year and is pushing for a AAA spot by August. Too much talent there to just waste away. Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic, but it's time that some of these pitching prospects break out for the Brewers. I'm sick of watching teams like the Cardinals continuously develop top-end pitching, while the Brewers hits are few and far between.

Not much, it doesn't seem like he has played since coming to the Brewers, just a name at this point and nothing more.

You said what I was thinking but didn't really want to say. I had high hopes on him, I liked him predrafts. But really what are we doing with him? 10 total games started and 2 Relief for a total of 44IP. 25Walks so bigger than 5 per 9. He'll be in A ball somewhere and with the system's depth, a guy that I don't see making it past Rule 5 draft still in Milw's system.

It's a shame last year was a lost season for him due to non-arm related injuries and his suspension, but he's still a talented guy and we have a year to decide whether to add him to the 40. Evaluating prospects isn't simply saying "what kind of stats have you put up lately?".

• 2 weeks later...
Evaluating prospects isn't simply saying "what kind of stats have you put up lately?

Yeah, but unfortunately, reports stated his FB was also way down. Hopefully it was due to his inactivity and it returns next year...

His fastball was 89-91 when he started throwing at the end of this year in rookie ball. In 2016 he was 88-92 most of the year and 89-92 in the Futures Game.

So, no, it's not way down. He's an advanced arm with advanced command who didn't have an arm injury. He'll spend the bulk of his time in AA and could get a sniff of AAA by season's end.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

MLB profile has him at a much higher FB speed.

Bickford can hit 98 mph with a four-seam fastball and miss barrels with a low-90s two-seamer that features plenty of sink. His slider can be a plus pitch when his mechanics are in sync but also can get slurvy when he doesn't maintain his release point. He made strides with his changeup during his first instructional league with the Giants and then made even more progress with the pitch in 2016.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
MLB profile has him at a much higher FB speed.

Bickford can hit 98 mph with a four-seam fastball and miss barrels with a low-90s two-seamer that features plenty of sink. His slider can be a plus pitch when his mechanics are in sync but also can get slurvy when he doesn't maintain his release point. He made strides with his changeup during his first instructional league with the Giants and then made even more progress with the pitch in 2016.

That review was written prior to the 2016 season - two full seasons ago.

Current review: http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017?list=mil

Bickford can hit 95 mph with a four-seam fastball and miss barrels with a low-90s two-seamer that features plenty of sink and should net him more ground balls as he learns to better locate it down in the zone.

This was written prior to the 2017 season.

What the 2018 version will be is another question.

Bickford has had sudden drops (and increases) in his velocity over his career. A review from Eric Logenhagen at Fangraphs in late 2016 had him operating in the 88-92 mph range much of the season.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/scouting-phil-bickford-conundrum/

If Bickford gets on a hot streak, I'm not opposed to trying to "sell high" on him, if you'll pardon the expression.

Agree with this. If he indeed spends most of this year in AA and he's effective and has good speed it'll be interesting to see if they just add him to the 40 man starting in AAA in 2019 or package him at the deadline.

Archived