Brewer Fanatic

Link to current Brewers 40 man roster?

TURBO

I would cut O.Drake to keep another minor leaguer protected. It seems like a no-brainer to me, so I wondering what I am missing that the coaches love so much. He wasn't that good against lefties that I keep him as a loogy, but if that is what they see, then it seems overkill to keep both Webb and Wang.

I think Drake will end up getting dropped, possibly today. They might keep him around for depth heading into camp, depends on other moves. He's definitely a prime candidate to be dumped quickly.

I see 5 open spots on the 40 man, and 4 must adds. I hope Orf or Wren also get added, ideally Orf.

Guys getting DFA'd or traded prior to the 40-man Rule V deadline tonight is still a real possibility, as several teams have been doing. The Mariners, for example, have been making several small moves - although w/ DiPoto as their GM, the M's never seem to stop making moves.

This link below provides a ton of info.

• If on the 40-man roster
    # of options remaining
    Service time
    Prospect ranking (BA and BP)
    Rule 5 status

It includes around 100 of our minor leaguers - so it should have everyone you'd expect.

https://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-milwaukee-brewers

That is a fantastic resource, thanks for sharing. I thought next year would have a slightly difficult roster crunch but holy crap. At a quick glance, the following people are Rule 5 eligible after the 2018 season.

Jake Gatewood

Isan Diaz

Monte Harrison

Troy Stokes Jr.

Luis Ortiz

Bubba Derby

Jon Perrin

Cody Pence

Phil Bickford

Jordan Yamamoto

Kodi Medeiros

Trey Supak

Josh Pennington

Nathan Kirby

That likely at least 8-10 must adds. Not too mention lesser prospects like Gilbert Lara and Nate Griep as well as rule 5 eligible players this year who may still be around and perforing (Tyrone Taylor, Johnny Davis, Kyle Wren, Clint Coulter, Devin Williams, Daniel Missaki, Tristan Archer). Either we are going to have a nearly all rookie bullpen & bench next year or we will need to move a couple of these names by next year.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think this list of guys that need protection next year leads to the possibility of a deal for a starting pitcher this off season. We can move 3-4 young players in a deal pretty easily.

Exactly.

I love building a team through the draft and amateur signings. But one of the things that having a deep system allows is to deal prospects for established players. It's not the thing I want to happen all the time - but it's a way we can effectively operate.

Sure it stinks when we trade a guy and he does good for another team - but if you have a deep system - you can survive losing some decent prospects.

Wow, didn't realize so many must-protect guys were becoming eligible next year. That changes a lot. I previously advocated 1-year deals a lot but was starting to come around on some 2-year deals and stuff like that. Not anymore. Stick to the plan. Sogard and Villar are right for the situation; Walker is not. Swarzak and Neshek could probably be had for 1-year deals, but I'd stay away from more established guys like Reed just because of the roster crunch. Save those roster spots; the team is not talented enough to justify going all-in and deviating from the opportunistic, bargain strategy that got them here in the first place.

Alex Avila is another great 1-year option. I would back up the truck for C.C. on a 1-year deal but he wants to stay in NY. Still, if NYY offers him 2/$35m and the Brewers offer 1/$25m, maybe he'd consider it. And what else are they going to do with that $25m? Because of the impending roster crunch, I'm not spending it on relievers and old guys unless it's one year deals. If they stay competitive next year, then they can talk about trading some of their prospects for pitching, but they shouldn't jump the gun yet. This free agent class isn't worth it. You'd hate to sign multiple 2-year deals only to be forced to trade prospects in unfavorable deals because of your roster crunch. Standing pat keeps your options open to explore trades without having pressure to settle for whatever is available.

Archived