Brewer Fanatic

Stranger Things

TURBO

Finally got around to watching, and binged the first season this weekend.

(Watched on DVD, I don't have or want netflix, but so many people around me talk about this show, I had to see what all the fuss was about. Got the DVD for $7.99 shipped on ebay.)

Great show, intriguing, and interesting...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Since the kids in the show are roughly the same age I was when the show takes place there's a ton of nostalgia. Not only that but it's well crafted and very cinematic. I have one episode left in season two. Looking to finish it tonight.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I grew up a few years after the Stranger Things kids, so while I can't speak perfectly to its accuracy, it carries the feel of authenticity for life in the pre-Cable TV 80s. The Spielberg influence on that first season is very strong.

I'm making a point not to reference any spoilers, because I decided to binge through Season 2 the weekend it came out just to avoid having things spoiled for me. If you're watching now for the first time, i absolutely wish you luck.

BJ,

I like season 2 better than season 1. You?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It's a pretty great show. The gal and I binged season 1 once we got started and finished season two within a day and a half of it coming out. I stayed up late and watched episodes 2-5 without her(she was not pleased) and then she watched 2-5 while I slept in the following morning. Ha. I just couldn't stop watching.

BJ,

I like season 2 better than season 1. You?

Season 2 was really good, and there's a definite recency bias working in its favor...but I think Season 1 has higher highs, because you didn't know where things were going to go.

My favorite moment from the show came in Season 1 (Dustin's call to the teacher); while they tried to create a similar moment in season 2, it didn't hit nearly as well. I can think of a few other examples of the second season retracing its footsteps, to diminishing returns. The show lives on its sense of atmosphere, as well as its core cast (child actors are not always easy to find, and this show's full of good ones).

There is going to be a season 3. I thought this season was better than the first as well. I will say though that the first two episodes of this season almost put me to sleep. Got so much better after that. It will be interesting as to where they go from here with this story.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Since the kids in the show are roughly the same age I was when the show takes place there's a ton of nostalgia. Not only that but it's well crafted and very cinematic. I have one episode left in season two. Looking to finish it tonight.

Winona Ryder playing the mom made me feel really old but it sort of made the whole 80's nostalgia come full circle. I was waiting for Michael Keaton to come out of the upside down but (spoiler alert) he did not.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

• 3 weeks later...
If anyone liked this and can also deal with foreign films, there's a German series on Netflix right now called Dark that seems intriguing. I only watched episode 1 but I really enjoyed it.

If anyone liked this and can also deal with foreign films, there's a German series on Netflix right now called Dark that seems intriguing. I only watched episode 1 but I really enjoyed it.

Is it dubbed in English or do I have to read it? I ask because my babble fish died.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Is it dubbed in English or do I have to read it? I ask because my babble fish died.

You can choose! Dub it in english, read english subtitles, or practice your german.

I think I'm the only person who watched it and didn't fall in love with the show. I have tried 3 times, and nothing makes me feel anything for the characters. I had a similar experience with Walking Dead.

Maybe my years of Brewers fandom has left me an emotional husk of a human being....

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I think I'm the only person who watched it and didn't fall in love with the show. I have tried 3 times, and nothing makes me feel anything for the characters. I had a similar experience with Walking Dead.

Maybe my years of Brewers fandom has left me an emotional husk of a human being....

I had the same experience with Game of Thrones. Everyone I've ever known has raved about it. I pushed myself through the first season and I felt like I had wasted hours of my life at the end of it.

My kids were watching season 1 (maybe episode 5 or 8?). I walk by and hear the background music.

"Hey, that is Green Desert from Tangerine Dream!"

I'm such a dork... but I was right LOL

I had no idea they used Tangerine Dream music in Stranger Things. I only know Tangerine Dream from Risky Business and I think they also had some music in Three O'Clock High (great film, but not well known).

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

All of my friends have watched Stranger Things and love it and what they've described to me does not interest me at all.

All of my friends have watched Stranger Things and love it and what they've described to me does not interest me at all.

It's really weird, but for some reason it just seems to captivate most people that watch it.

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished (caught up?) and this show is fantastic. All of the kids are great, but Dustin is hilarious. I love Eleven too. Now time to suffer the 2 year wait...*******......

I had the same experience with Game of Thrones. Everyone I've ever known has raved about it. I pushed myself through the first season and I felt like I had wasted hours of my life at the end of it.

Game of Thrones is VERY intense...it's not a show you can watch half listening. So many characters, storylines, plots, hidden things, etc. If the whole idea of it is a subject that interests you push through the first season or a bit more, it gets way better. Also, it is a show that gets better and better the bigger your TV and/or sound system is. I did not like S1 because it was so slow, but now like everybody else I do get the withdrawal symptoms once in awhile as we endure the long wait for S8. It's my all time favorite show/movie, and i'm a late comer...didn't get into it until right before S7.

Walking Dead I still really like, but it's starting to wear on me with the decisions they're making. Some of the early/middle seasons are as good as TV gets IMO.

• 4 years later...

How have we not used this thread in 5 years?

Season 4 came out on Friday, so I felt obligated to binge-watch over the long weekend to avoid spoiler things....and I'm really glad that I did.

I've seen a number of people complain about the episode lengths, but while not every storyline has equal importance, even the less-important parts don't feel like a drag.  (Which is a significant improvement over, say, the Erica arc in Season 3.)

Netflix held the final 2 episodes of the season until July 1st....albeit the last episode is reported to be over two hours long.

The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.