Brewer Fanatic

Shohei Otani

Tom‏ @Haudricourt

11m11 minutes ago

#Brewers have submitted requested questionnaire for Japanese free agent Shohei Ohtani. His agent, Nez Balelo of CAA, represents Ryan Braun and Jimmy Nelson and former #Brewers OF Nori Aoki. So plenty of references.

For what it's worth.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One of the interesting things about Ohtani is that he's a really good hitter, too. He's already made it known that he'd like to hit on his off days. If his preference plays much of a part, he'd be a better fit on an AL club where he could DH.

One of the interesting things about Ohtani is that he's a really good hitter, too. He's already made it known that he'd like to hit on his off days. If his preference plays much of a part, he'd be a better fit on an AL club where he could DH.

100% true, and for that reason I can't see him on a small market NL team.

My guess is that he ends up on an AL team for that reason alone.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Latest:

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman confirmed Friday that the club will be aggressive in their pursuit of Shohei Ohtani.

Cashman effectively began his sales pitch to Ohtani when he told reporters Friday that "Ohtani represents the next great talent that’s available in baseball and (the New York) stage is made for players like this." The GM added that he thinks Ohtani is a "perfect fit" for the Yankees and that they would let the Japanese star pitch and hit. The $3.5 million the Yankees have available as a signing bonus to spend on Ohtani is the second-largest amount behind the Rangers' $3.55 million, but money will be a secondary consideration here. Ohtani is ultimately going to go where he wants to play and it's no surprise that many have predicted he'll wind up in pinstripes.

Source: Pete Caldera on TwitterDec 1 - 9:14 AM

Scratch the Phillies off the list:

MLB.com: What do you like about daily life in the United States?

Ohtani: I’ve only been to Hawaii and Arizona, but I like the huge steaks.

MLB.com: What cities are you curious about and would like to see?

Ohtani: The Rocky Balboa statue, I want a picture of that.

MLB.com: Philadelphia has a baseball team, you know.

Ohtani: No, I just want to visit there.

:laughing

Gruber Lawffices

Yankees GM Brian Cashman reportedly alluded to Ohtani’s landing spot likely being a smaller market West Coast team. So Seattle, San Diego, or Oakland?

TWEET from @BryanHoch: Re: Ohtani... Cashman said that if he was a West Coast team in a smaller market, he’d be excited right now.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reports that the Yankees are out on Shohei Ohtani.

The Yankees had $3.5 million available to give to Ohtani as a bonus, the second largest amount behind the Rangers ($3.55 million), and were viewed as a strong contender. There had been speculation that Ohtani was going to notify clubs before the end of the weekend whether or not they had made the first cut, and perhaps that's what knocked the Yankees out of contention.

Source: Jeff Passan on TwitterDec 3 - 6:11 PM

Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reports that the Giants and the Mariners are among the finalists for Shohei Ohtani.

The Yankees are officially out as Ohtani has started to inform clubs who didn't make the first cut. The two-way superstar will hold meetings with each of the finalists next week before making his final decision. He has informed clubs that he would prefer going to the west coast or to a smaller market.

Source: Jeff Passan on TwitterDec 3 - 6:16 PM

Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that the Twins also didn't make it to the final round of the Shohei Ohtani sweepstakes.

So far, it's just the Giants and the Mariners that are known to have made it to the final round, which will include an interview with Ohtani this week before he makes his final decision. The Yankees were also informed on Sunday that they were out of the running.

Source: Jon Heyman on TwitterDec 3 - 6:31 PM

Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the Mets are no longer in the running for Shohei Ohtani.

The Mets join the Yankees, Twins, Pirates, Blue Jays and Athletics who were informed on Sunday that they are no longer in the mix for the Japanese star's services.

Source: Joel Sherman on TwitterDec 3 - 6:58 PM

Red Sox team president Dave Dombrowski confirmed Sunday that he was informed the Red Sox were out of the running for Shohei Ohtani.

The Red Sox had hoped to make a strong presentation to Ohtani and his representatives this week, but they won't be afforded the opportunity. The Mets, Yankees, Twins, Pirates, Blue Jays, Athletics and Brewers have also been told they won't advance to the next round, while the Giants and Mariners have made the list of finalists. The Angels, Dodgers and perhaps the Padres are expected to join them.

Source: Ian Browne on TwitterDec 3 - 7:12 PM

DAMN DAMN DAMN!

I haven't kept up on it like the rest of you but in the piece i saw it sure did seem like he wanted the right fit. It seemed honest almost its as if he doesn't care how big he is...yet... and wants a place to give him a chance to prove he's really the bext babe ruth. I'm rooting for Sea and Oak.

Good to see MKE made a serious attempt.

I highly doubt we were ever a serious consideration. It's nice that we weren't excused immediately, but I just don't think we were taken as a serious contender.

*sigh*

Man, it would have been exciting to snag this guy.

From MLBtraderumors.com

Shohei Ohtani has already narrowed his list of potential landing spots to seven team, according to multiple reporters (with Jim Bowden of MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM the first to tweet the final seven). Only the Dodgers, Giants, Angels, Padres, Mariners, Rangers and Cubs will receive meetings with Ohtani. While Ohtani has three weeks to negotiate with teams, ESPN’s Buster Olney tweets that Ohtani could make a decision well before that point, noting that he could be introduced by his new club at next week’s Winter Meetings.

Of the remaining teams in the fold, the Rangers still have the most money to offer Ohtani, at $3.535MM, though his signing bonus seems increasingly to be a secondary consideration in where he ultimately signs, especially after last week’s reports that Ohtani could top $20MM in annual earnings in marketing endorsements. Certainly, his list of finalists reflects a preference for West Coast teams and a proximity to Japan, though the presence of the Rangers and Cubs indicates that he’s not quite locked into that mindset just yet.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Twins traded international slot money for prospects to the Angels and Mariners once they were out of the running. Wish DS would have thought of that.

Both prospects involved, David Banuelos and Jacob Pearson, were 2017 draft picks. Which serves as a good reminder that recent draftees are likely to be a part of some of the significant trade packages we see at the upcoming Winter Meetings.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived