Brewer Fanatic

Molitor and Lovullo win managers of the year; Counsel finishes 4th in NL

reillymcshane

Manager/coach of the year awards are ridiculously biased IMO. They always favor the overachiever but there's no reason to assume it's the manager or coach that caused them to overachieve. God forbid they give the players more credit or admit their predictions were wrong. Also, a lot of times it's just a bunch of guys having a career year in their prime at the same time, and that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the coach. I don't believe for a second that a lot of voters consider whether a coach/manager actually make really good decisions and impacted the record in a significant positive way.

In the case of Arizona, they got all kinds of guys back from injury and they should be good. They're a very talented team. It's basically like rewarding a guy for managing a team that was so flukey bad last year. (Not saying I know whether he did a great job or not because I'm not an Arizona fan, but I am saying I'm certain he got the award because voters want to give him credit for turning a team around when any competent manager should have had a pretty good year with that kind of talent.)

I doubt Counsell really cares much he wasn't voted MotY, so we shouldn't either.

I wasn't suggesting that at all if this is in response to me. I think it probably would have been silly if he had won it too, because it would have been the same old "we didn't think they would be good but they were so the manager must have been great!" b.s. I think C.C. was solid but I don't think he was manager of the year. Roberts probably should have won it based on his use of platoons and the bullpen and the 40-man, but they were supposed to be good so nobody will give him credit.

As an analogy, how many COTY's has Popovich won? 2? 3? That's a joke IMO considering some of the people who have won it, but it's just because people take him for granted. Voting for COTY or MOTY is no better than voting for the Cy Young used to be when it was all about wins; it's just that these awards are all based on "wins above predicted number" instead of raw wins, but it's just as dumb.

No, not directed at you at all, just a general comment I made. That's just my bias, I really don't pay attention to these type of awards. Even gold glove, silver slugger, all that stuff is pretty meaningless to me since it's far from objective. The only award I even marginally care about in any sport is MVP. Yea, that's subjective too, but at least it's a big deal for the player and fans.

Archived