Brewer Fanatic

Carlos Beltran retires

reillymcshane
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Just saw that Beltran announced his retirement. Nice way to go out - winning a World Series - even if he struggled this past year.

Pretty amazing career numbers: 2725 hits, .279 BA, 435 HR, 312 SB, 69.8 bWAR. Rookie of the year award, WS ring, three gold gloves.

Career stats: https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/beltrca01.shtml

Surprised he didn't chase 3,000 hits but what a heck of a career he had.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

He has great career numbers and many seem to assume he's a Hall of Famer. But at any point in his career was he considered the best or near the best at his position? I don't think so and that to me isn't a Hall of Famer.

Agreed. Certainly the Hall of Very Close to Hall of Fame. Nine All-Stars, three Gold Gloves, two Silver Sluggers...but I just don't recall me thinking anything more of him than being a very good player. For comparison's sake, Ryan Braun has six All-Stars, five Silver Sluggers...and likely should have had at least one more ASG appearance and 1 Gold Glove.

I just don't see HOF with Beltran.

Guys, I will agree that Beltran is not a 1st ballot HOF but I suspect he will be voted in at some point. His all around game and his incredible post season performances (overall higher post season numbers than regular season numbers) will be a factors. His candidacy will be a very good debate when the time comes.

I realize some will try to correlate if Beltran gets into the HOF so should Braun or Manny Ramirez. In Beltran's favor is his longevity & never having a suspension for PEDs (that I can recall).

He has great career numbers and many seem to assume he's a Hall of Famer. But at any point in his career was he considered the best or near the best at his position? I don't think so and that to me isn't a Hall of Famer.

He had an 8 year stretch where he put up 47 WAR between 2001-2008.

Even if he wasn't "anointed" as the best CF in baseball, he was absolutely that.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/jaws_CF.shtml

9th all time in JAWS for CFs.

8th all time in WAR.

The idea that he isn't a HOF... its just.... wow.

Jim Edmonds is the guy who is the maybe/maybe not debate, and he fell off the ballot in 1 season. The HoF committee hasn't yet come around to judging CF's against other CFs, instead of against LF/1B.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I realize some will try to correlate if Beltran gets into the HOF so should Braun or Manny Ramirez. In Beltran's favor is his longevity & never having a suspension for PEDs (that I can recall).

Manny and Beltran is actually a good comparison. Braun isn't even close to either one of them.

Manny is absolutely a HOF if the PED users start getting in. He's probably the one of the 5 best right handed hitters of the last 40 or so years.

Edit: Added spoiler tag, that graph is huge.

2ti6ij2.png

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I know it's not an exact science, but being a nine time All-Star has to mean he was considered as one of the best at his position by his peers during the years he played.

Surprised he didn't chase 3,000 hits but what a heck of a career he had.

I thought that at first as well but being < 300 away he had AT LEAST 2 seasons to go and if the decline he felt this year was not an anomaly... like 3. Playing into your 43rd year is a lot to ask for most.

I know this isn't a stat and I'm not sure how it compares to others concerning HOF consideration ... but he did receive MVP votes is 7 of his 20 seasons (and 3 of his non years he was traded halfway through). I'd assume that is a gold star on the resume..

Archived