Brewer Fanatic

Brewers to sign 25 year agreement with Maryvale

Invader3K
Community Moderator

I'm glad the seating bowl itself is staying intact. It's one of the best in spring training and suits the Brewers perfectly. They didn't need to be playing in front of empty seats at a larger shared facility.

Also glad to see that the economic development BS with sports stadiums...or at least spring training facilities...is finally being debunked.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have never gone to Spring Training and probably won't for a number of years so don't really care where it is in Arizona. The only concern is the money because we are led to believe the savings for the last couple of years would go to players but spending $60 million makes those saving disappear rather quickly.

Understand the concern, but I don't think you need to worry. This is a long term capital project and it won't have any impact on what they want to spend on annual payroll at the MLB level. Just like the new concession stands at MP, buying the Mudcats, etc. All of these are long term projects, and build up value of the franchise.

As far as this deal goes? Yes, Maryvale isn't a great area. But as Homer said it's not that bad. I'm just glad they're staying in AZ, as FL temps and weather in general can be a little iffy in March unless you're in extreme south FL.

I will go down every 2-3 years, and I enjoy driving all over the Phoenix area anyhow. Just make sure to miss rush hour traffic, and it's fine.

I agree that they are long term projects but they all impact cash flow. Now I don't know if they are taking out loans for all of these things and spreading the cash flow over a number of years or paying up front but the cash has to come from somewhere even though they will see a 25 year benefit in this case.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I will trust Attanasio's business acumen in regards to real estate development.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I will trust Attanasio's business acumen in regards to real estate development.

Just because he's a successful businessman does not mean it could be a poor decision or one that quite a few fans may not care for.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm very glad the Brewers are staying in Arizona.

I am beyond confused as to why the Brewers would want to invest millions in Maryvale.

This stinks of the Brewers just throwing up their hands in disgust and deciding to pay for the renovations themselves.

I'm just happy they are not leaving AZ any time soon. Would I have like to see a nice new facility in AZ, sure, but I'm not as unhappy with Maryvale as others. While the Brewers have been at Maryvale, my family and I have gone to ST in AZ over 10 times. We have never stayed anywhere near Maryvale. We rent a car and pretty much go to every home and away Brewer game while we are there. Never really felt any danger driving to or from home games and we really love the facility. We like to sit on the berm, which is relatively cheap at Maryvale and never over-crowded. We also like walking around the practice fields and pretty much rubbing shoulders with the MiLB players (mixed in with the occasional MLB player). Just so glad they are not moving to FL!!

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I agree that they are long term projects but they all impact cash flow. Now I don't know if they are taking out loans for all of these things and spreading the cash flow over a number of years or paying up front but the cash has to come from somewhere even though they will see a 25 year benefit in this case.

I am sure it was spread out over time. Better investment wise alone before considering the positives for building a baseball roster.

Yea. My concern is this extra savings Mark A had the last few years now goes purely to this instead of the Major League team. Seems to put the Brewers at a disadvantage.

While I understand the sentiment I think there are more ways to help the major league club than just spending money on major league players. A place in spring training with better equipment, field and medical facilities also helps. It also has to help players who are rehabbing but not quite ready for live action. My guess is Jimmy nelson spends time in extended spring training next season for example. A better place for that can't hurt.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I'm just happy they are not leaving AZ any time soon. Would I have like to see a nice new facility in AZ, sure, but I'm not as unhappy with Maryvale as others. While the Brewers have been at Maryvale, my family and I have gone to ST in AZ over 10 times. We have never stayed anywhere near Maryvale. We rent a car and pretty much go to every home and away Brewer game while we are there. Never really felt any danger driving to or from home games and we really love the facility. We like to sit on the berm, which is relatively cheap at Maryvale and never over-crowded. We also like walking around the practice fields and pretty much rubbing shoulders with the MiLB players (mixed in with the occasional MLB player). Just so glad they are not moving to FL!!

I agree with about everything here.....

Would have been exciting to get a brand new ST home in Gilbert, but the experience of ST in Maryvale is still a good one, even with no hotels, restaurants, or attractions within walking distance. There is plenty to do and see just a little out of town. My one trip to ST was a blast (hiking, zoo, golf, swimming, two Brewers games, two Brewers practices), especially the intimate home practices before away games.

Fan draw isn't a huge concern of spring training sites. Teams make minimal revenue off of spring training. Teams are looking for facilities. The renovation of Maryvale will give the Brewers top end facilities. It's pretty much that simple.

The Brewers are sorry, not sorry that a subset of the fan base is uncomfortable coming to Maryvale.

I said in the previous thread, its hard to justify to have the taxpayers build a stadium for the MLB team to use for 1.5 months a year. The brewers clearly tried to find a new home and couldn't and needed to resolve the issue. 25 years is such a long time though in a shady area now, and who knows how much worse that neighborhood will be in 2043.

No it's not hard to justify. You're thinking this would be a new tax, but it's not. The greater area passed a tourism tax solely for the building and renovating of sports stadiums like spring training cites. The problem is that the Cubs stadium, Dodgers stadium, Indians stadium, etc all were so expensive that they used up all the funds for years to come.

I have taken a few days to really let the news of this settle in and give my take on this. While I absolutely hate the location of the facility in Maryvale, I also agree with others in stating that the fan experience in Maryvale is second to none once you're inside the stadium. If the expansion of the facilities keeps the experience the same, I can tolerate the location of the stadium. However, therein lies the issue with the extension of the Maryvale lease. Instead of being pumped as fans, we are more or less tolerating the fact that Maryvale will be the home of the Brewers for the foreseeable future. Tolerance rather than excitement isn't a good way to generate positive buzz, even if it is only a spring home for the big league club.

The largest issue I have is the $41-$63 million investment the Brewers are making. While I am unaware of how much it would cost to build an entirely new facility ($90 million was the estimate for Gilbert), it seems like that money could've been leveraged to find a more ideal neighborhood, even if it were in a less densely populated area (Vistancia proposal), somewhere else in the Valley.

Bottom line...I will still go to Maryvale, but I am not exactly excited about it.

Yea. My concern is this extra savings Mark A had the last few years now goes purely to this instead of the Major League team. Seems to put the Brewers at a disadvantage.

Actually a good chunk of the cost is the new clubhouse/training facilities - which is for the benefit of the major league team.

That should help with current player training/injuries and a nice new plush clubhouse/locker room should also be a free agent enticement / retain tool. When you think of actual time spent somewhere, I would think spring training facilities have a bigger proportion of time then someone would give them credit for.

I would also agree that the buyout of the contract probably is not too big of a deal.

I have never been down to spring training, as that time of year will never work with my schedule - so I have no idea - but if the Brewers are putting this money into the project and it sounds like it includes some park land and university space that it might spark up some interest by other businesses and in a decade it is actually an above average area for economy and safety.

The purpose of ST and a ST facility is to prepare the MLB team for playing the upcoming season, develop minor leaguers for playing in MLB, and rehab injured players. I have heard nothing about the current Maryvale site hindering that. Any money it makes from attendance is just a bonus. I'd be interested to know how much profit (if any) is generated by attendance at spring training facilities. I would assume the Cubs lead everyone in Arizona in that area but I'd also bet that everyone else is pretty much equal. The neighborhood is less than ideal but does that prevent the facility from fulfilling its purpose? No.

The purpose of ST and a ST facility is to prepare the MLB team for playing the upcoming season, develop minor leaguers for playing in MLB, and rehab injured players. I have heard nothing about the current Maryvale site hindering that. Any money it makes from attendance is just a bonus. I'd be interested to know how much profit (if any) is generated by attendance at spring training facilities. I would assume the Cubs lead everyone in Arizona in that area but I'd also bet that everyone else is pretty much equal. The neighborhood is less than ideal but does that prevent the facility from fulfilling its purpose? No.

Agreed and world class facilities are world class facilities regardless of location. However, it could be a hindrance for the Brewers if FAs are considering the location of the Brewers spring home versus every other team in the Cactus League. Granted Spring Training is a month in March, but if you are having to rehab an injury during the year in Arizona, I sure would rather be rehabbing in any other location in Arizona than Maryvale.

That's where I believe this deal is shortsighted.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Agreed and world class facilities are world class facilities regardless of location. However, it could be a hindrance for the Brewers if FAs are considering the location of the Brewers spring home versus every other team in the Cactus League. Granted Spring Training is a month in March, but if you are having to rehab an injury during the year in Arizona, I sure would rather be rehabbing in any other location in Arizona than Maryvale.

I'm pretty sure that would be the first FA in history to use spring training neighborhood as the reason they don't play for a particular team.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm pretty sure that would be the first FA in history to use spring training neighborhood as the reason they don't play for a particular team.

Hence why could was in bold.

The point is if I am investing $41-$63 million investment in my operation, there is not much of a worse place to locate it than in Maryvale.

i'm a resident of minneapolis. prior to that, i lived in st. paul. i have long applauded the brewers for their commitment to an urban spring training facility and to the tax base of a city like phoenix (just as i'm glad the brewers remained in the city of milwaukee and didn't build a suburban stadium).

oakland and milwaukee were the only teams that had facilities within the city limits of phoenix. then oakland bailed and went to suburban mesa.

i am very pleased with the brewers' renewed commitment to an urban municipality and am especially proud of the club's commitment to the youth in the city of phoenix.

also, having developed a strong sense of pride in the defined-borders, named neighborhood that i live in, i have always been pleased that the brewers have identified by name the neighborhood that they are part of. phoenix is huge. maryvale tells locals (and savvy tourists) exactly where it is.

raise your hand if you thought that maryvale was a suburb of phoenix. i've seen plenty of online comments showing such misunderstandings.

I never thought of it like this, but you are 100% correct. I guess if the brewers have facilities on par with everyone else, I am OK with this. No matter where they train in Arizona its still a better situation than Florida also. The neighborhood is rundown, but there has yet to be a reported incident over the last 20 years of a fan or player being involved in a crime (to my knowledge)

Honestly, I have to agree with Homer here. That's a major reach. Putting "could" in bold doesn't take away the fact your overall post shows you think it is a legitimate concern. I mean, you end it with "That's why I believe it is shortsighted."

Odds are the same a player wouldn't sign with the Brewers due their uniform colors.

Honestly, I have to agree with Homer here. That's a major reach. Putting "could" in bold doesn't take away the fact your overall post shows you think it is a legitimate concern. I mean, you end it with "That's why I believe it is shortsighted."

Odds are the same a player wouldn't sign with the Brewers due their uniform colors.

I will concede it may be a major reach. I still have issue with such a significant investment of money into Maryvale given a majority of fans who have been there would agree it is easily the worst neighborhood in the Cactus League.

Seriously. We are putting in a ridiculous % of money in a renovation project no team has ever come close to in MLB history...and here we are in grand ole...Maryvale. I am just saying I would have expected a better location for such an investment. I’m not saying the most important thing is the facilities for players, but jeez if we are investing ridiculous money when ever other team in history hasn’t I would expect a world class complex in a world class location. Not the worst location imaginable.

Archived