Brewer Fanatic

Marcell Ozuna

Brinson seems to be the best trade chip the Brewers have (by far), I wouldn't move him for anything other than pitching.

Last year Ozuna was a .312/.376/.548/.924 but the previous three years he slashed .265/.316/.433/.749. Did he have his big break-through year in 2017? A look at the numbers reveal a high .355 BABIP and a high 23.4% HR/FB ratio. He's better than the .265/.316/.433/.749 but some regression should be expected from last year. The Steamer projection for 2018 has him at .288/.351/.508/.859 with below average defense and baserunning.

Brinson seems to be the best trade chip the Brewers have (by far), I wouldn't move him for anything other than pitching.

Last year Ozuna was a .312/.376/.548/.924 but the previous three years he slashed .265/.316/.433/.749. Did he have his big break-through year in 2017? A look at the numbers reveal a high .355 BABIP and a high 23.4% HR/FB ratio. He's better than the .265/.316/.433/.749 but some regression should be expected from last year. The Steamer projection for 2018 has him at .288/.351/.508/.859 with below average defense and baserunning.

This. The only way Brinson is moved is if the Brewers can acquire elite and controllable pitching. Thinking Kopech, Buehler or Urias

I'd do that deal in a heart beat, then see if you can get a talented young controllable starter for Santana and a prospect. The reality is there is a window in 2018-2019 as the Cubs and Cards pitching situation is in flux.

I couldn't disagree more with every aspect of this post. We could trade Brinson for the starting pitching, why try 5 years of santana for 2 years of ozuna? Ozuna as a target makes no sense for this team. It's a good opportunity for another team, but not us. We have a ton of homegrown outfield talent that should be given the opportunity to play and prove their value.

And there is no "window" for the brewers. We are being built to compete consistently...that's the goal. No window theory, it's a cardinals style build. The dream is to be in the mix every year and hope to get hot at the right time.

Why? Just why? Sure he had a very good season this year. Previous 2 years combined though were worth 2.9BWar. He's not an everyday CF. So a Corner OF with no room for that every day. You remove the depth in CF to Brett Phillips/Ozuna. And if he's a 3WAR value for 2 seasons, you've given up two CFs with cheap team control and more than likely the same War production but ceilings that can exceed that. You want to part with a top 20 prospect for that?

Pass and move on. Also It's Marcell if someone can fix that.

We have a lot of OF talent. No need to give up many years of cheap team control for (maybe) a slightly higher marginal upgrade.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Ozuna is a great player. But a guy like Brinson could be great as well. Yes, that's 'could be' - which carries a risk. A huge risk. But I'm okay with taking risks on guys like Brinson. In fact, that's the kind of risks Milwaukee has to take. Guys with all-star potential don't come along in our system very often. Those are the guys we build around - not trade away. At least at this stage. It doesn't mean we don't consider trading top tier prospects for established players - it just has to be the right trade at the right time.

Ozuna is a great player. But a guy like Brinson could be great as well. Yes, that's 'could be' - which carries a risk. A huge risk. But I'm okay with taking risks on guys like Brinson. In fact, that's the kind of risks Milwaukee has to take. Guys with all-star potential don't come along in our system very often. Those are the guys we build around - not trade away. At least at this stage. It doesn't mean we don't consider trading top tier prospects for established players - it just has to be the right trade at the right time.

The current stage of the Brewers is as a contender for 2018-2019. Beyond that is a crap shoot. An awful lot has to go right. Cubs are somewhat vulnerable right now as are the Cardinals. Surrendering one very good prospect for a productive player in his prime to help lead the team the next two seasons is the right move. If they don't contend for whatever reason either next year or 2019, they can still get a lot by dealing him.

I'd do that deal in a heart beat, then see if you can get a talented young controllable starter for Santana and a prospect. The reality is there is a window in 2018-2019 as the Cubs and Cards pitching situation is in flux.

I couldn't disagree more with every aspect of this post. We could trade Brinson for the starting pitching, why try 5 years of santana for 2 years of ozuna? Ozuna as a target makes no sense for this team. It's a good opportunity for another team, but not us. We have a ton of homegrown outfield talent that should be given the opportunity to play and prove their value.

And there is no "window" for the brewers. We are being built to compete consistently...that's the goal. No window theory, it's a cardinals style build. The dream is to be in the mix every year and hope to get hot at the right time.

Every team has windows. Not recognizing them when the jump up is what leads to years and years of frustration.

Every team has windows. Not recognizing them when the jump up is what leads to years and years of frustration.

Trading too much of the future for the present is what leads to windows, and what also leads to extensive rebuilds when the MLB roster gets old and the farm gets barren from trading it for the old aging vets. If done right, the brewers can compete consistently. Extend the right players for the right amount of time, trade other guys towards the end of their team control for prospects, successful draft/develop. It sure sounds easier than it is, but it can be done. Look no further than how the cardinals are consistently good and have multiple WS, I should point more to how they used to do it than how they currently build...as they've strayed from their philosophy over the last couple years and are dealing with some bad contracts now.

Brison, Phillips and Santana are all talented, young OF with team control. Because Braun is here, we have the opportunity to trade one of them, but not for another OF who might be better than the guy we're trading for him, but has a lot less team control.

The marginal improvement of Ozuna in CF over Brinson/Phillips is not enough to sacrifice the extra four years of service time. I like Ozuna, but he may not outperform Brinson/Phillips over the next two seasons, and two years of Ozuna is almost certainly going to provide less value than six years of Brinson.

I was fine with trading Brinson for four years of Quintana midway through last season. It would be a bad idea to trade him for two years of an OF this offseason.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• 7 months later...

I picked up Ozuna when he was dropped in fantasy, he was horrid to start but the last 30 days he's at:

13 7 18 .330 .971

I listened to the game last night on the radio and hearing the play he made on the ball off the wall sounded pretty frustrating for Cards fans. He overslept and missed a game this year as well. With the season Stanton is having and contract he's under, I think the Brewers easily got the best OF out of Miami.

I picked up Ozuna when he was dropped in fantasy, he was horrid to start but the last 30 days he's at:

13 7 18 .330 .971

I listened to the game last night on the radio and hearing the play he made on the ball off the wall sounded pretty frustrating for Cards fans. He overslept and missed a game this year as well. With the season Stanton is having and contract he's under, I think the Brewers easily got the best OF out of Miami.

I thought Stanton was doing better, he's approaching Chris Carter territory with the k rate and hr rate. And he's an average at best defender. He's looking at a career worst k rate and bb rate right now. I think this is going to look like a bad move for the Yankees in a couple years. Unlikely Stanton ops out the way it's looking right now.

13 7 18 .330 .971

WAR this season:

Yelich - 2.1

Stanton - 1.8

Ozuna - 1.0

Obviously it is only a half season or so but Stanton should be at or near peak at 28 and if his k and swing miss rate is increasing that isn't the greatest sign for the future of that contract. Ozuna cashed in on a good season (and good for him!) but I agree the Brewers got the best deal out of that trio of moves.

Correction, overslept and arrived late. Cardinals then removed him from the line up.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/ozuna-oversleeps-arrives-late-forces-cardinals-to-remove-him-from/article_217d0840-6eb6-5562-85c2-e8276ed0148e.html

Though he did oversleep enough to miss the start of the game.

Still... yikes !

Long run who knows , but I much preferred Yelich to him - all day every day

Archived