3) Harrison

4) Burnes

5) Phillips

6) Diaz

7) Woodruff

8) Ortiz

9) Clark

10) Ray

"our" list and BA/BP seem to differ mainly in that we rate Peralta a lot higher here, and that they rate Harrison very highly. I'd imagine Fangraphs will be similar, their main prospect guy absolutely loves Harrison. Has said things in his chats like how if a prospect was created from scratch solely to appeal to him, that'd be Harrison.

Anyway, I'd think that most of the differences between a fan-made list and these others lists is that the former will weigh production more heavily.

EDIT: Looked up the quote on Harrison:

"Eric A Longenhagen: I’ve been really high, like early-80s NBA high, on Harrison since high school. I cannot provide rational thoughts on him. It’s as if he were engineered in a lab to appeal specifically to me."

Harrison is one of those immensely talented athletes. The guy who does everything really, really well. I mean - scholarship to Nebraska as a wide receiver - that's talent.

It's why he's so intriguing. Where will his talent evolve? I mean - it could bust - but on the other hand - you watch the guy and see a young Yoenis Céspedes. Hard not to get excited about the guy. But we have to constantly remind ourselves that Harrison is a work in progress. He never concentrated on baseball as a teen. Add in the injuries he had early in his career - and there's so much unknown.

But that's a good thing. Excited to watch him going forward.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since we are talking about Harrison, below are a couple of quotes from Chris Kusiolek, somebody I follow who does player evaluation:

Lot of issues with Monte Harrison in regards to swing and feel at the plate, but just hit a ball out of Salt River. Literally. His swing has coverage holes; doesn't track well out of the hand. Low hand set pre pitch, gets late and long; timing varies. Platoon/bench future for me. 6 arm, 6 run. Double plus raw.

I see this guy on Twitter. Who is he outside of a guy who spends a ton of ti,e at ball fields in AZ. He always sounds like he knows what he's talking about, but that's easy to do if you know some lingo and cliches.

Since we are talking about Harrison, below are a couple of quotes from Chris Kusiolek, somebody I follow who does player evaluation:

Lot of issues with Monte Harrison in regards to swing and feel at the plate, but just hit a ball out of Salt River. Literally. His swing has coverage holes; doesn't track well out of the hand. Low hand set pre pitch, gets late and long; timing varies. Platoon/bench future for me. 6 arm, 6 run. Double plus raw.

I see this guy on Twitter. Who is he outside of a guy who spends a ton of ti,e at ball fields in AZ. He always sounds like he knows what he's talking about, but that's easy to do if you know some lingo and cliches.

I was thinking the same. He can say the right words but his evaluations seem to be pretty contrary.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I was listening to a podcast today from Baseball America about the AFL this year. I think it posted last week.

During the podcast both guys were suggesting that Corey Ray has been a mess all year & at this point has been passed by Monte Harrison and Trent Clark (has power, can take a walk) on the depth chart.

They also wondered if Ray will be moving up to AA or at least starting the year in Carolina (high A) to try and get some positive momentum before moving up to AA.

I was thinking the same. He can say the right words but his evaluations seem to be pretty contrary.

Yeah, I don't really know what he has done in the past or if he has credibility however he really does go to these games day in and day out. At the very least he provides a different perspective of actually seeing the players on a regular basis vs scouting the stat line but I have no idea if he really knows his stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Eric Longenhagen’s Brewers prospect list is due out on Fangraphs tomorrow. Here is what he mentioned in his Fangraphs Prospects Chat today...

Bryan: How do you feel about Brewers minor leaguers Jordan Yamamoto and Freddy Peralta, both RHPs. Do their statistics portend future MLB success? Thanks.

Eric A Longenhagen: Brewers list should be out tomorrow or Thurs (it’s done, just being edited) so you’ll get more on those guys. Peralta is mostly 89-92 but I have his fastball graded as plus because of spin, extension and some other stuff you’ll read about. Yamamoto is another spin rate guy but scouts think his arm slot creates platoon issues that point toward the bullpen.

Biscuit: Hey Eric, you in or out on the following prospects hitting their top 20% projection: Yadier Alvarez, Christian Arroyo, Isan Diaz, Jorge Alfaro?

Eric A Longenhagen: Still in on Isan, more tepid on Yadi and Arroyo, disillusioned with Alfaro

Biscuit: Hey Eric, do you think Trent Clark ends up in the Majors?

Eric A Longenhagen: Trent Grisham now, and yes.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Looking at pipeline Top 10 position rankings, Brewers players rate:

Catcher: 0

1st Base: 0

2nd Base: #3 Huira, #4 I. Diaz

SS:

3B:

OF: #6 Brinson

LHP:0

RHP:0

Not important but good nice to see both Huira and Diaz so high

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.mlb.com/news/pipeline-podcast-prospects-on-top-100/c-264315314

Callis gushes pretty hard on Harrison in this article. Interesting take on him, and the general perception makes sense. That he faded to anonymity due to 2 injury plagued years, but showed up to fall league with his loud tools and got himself back on everyone's radar. Callis noted Harrison will probably be somewhere in the middle of his personal top 100, and Mayo noted he'd be top 100 as well. Safe to say Harrison will likely overtake Ray and end up in their top 100 somewhere.

Harrison is a guy I cringe when he is mentioned in trade talks. He has the potential to be a huge star and we will regret if we trade him. There is still a lot of risk there and He could also be a bust but I love the upside. Brinson is still a better prospect in my mind, but because he has a higher floor. But I think Harrison has a higher ceiling.

Harrison is a guy I cringe when he is mentioned in trade talks. He has the potential to be a huge star and we will regret if we trade him. There is still a lot of risk there and He could also be a bust but I love the upside. Brinson is still a better prospect in my mind, but because he has a higher floor. But I think Harrison has a higher ceiling.

I tend to agree, I feel like Harrison could be virtually a Brinson clone this time next year...but with slightly louder tools across the board. If either one of those guys finds a way to hit MLB pitching, limitless potential.

Baseball Prospectus write-up on AFL prospects includes scouting report on Monte Harrison

Being paired with top ten overall prospect Ronald Acuna in a scouting report summary isn’t going to reflect great on most CF prospects, but that is a very flattering evaluation of Harrison’s tools. Exciting to see Monte get some acclaim heading into 2018.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

#1, #8, #9 and #24 all gone. That should shake up the list a bit!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm going to have a lot of work to do on the next list.

For me, it was #7, #9, #11, #13:

7. 2B/SS Isan Diaz - 62 BB in 383 ABs.

9. RHP Jordan Yamamoto - While everyone was excited about Corbin Burnes, he emerged as a solid rotation candidate

11. OF Lewis Brinson - Looks like he and Phillips will platoon in CF

13. OF Monte Harrison - Superb season and put it all together... but stuck behind Stokes, Phillips, Brinson, and Santana

Last year, I felt three guys in the minors really flashed very good OBP skills: Diaz, Trent Clark (Grisham), and Michael Reed.

Reed left as a six-year free agent. Diaz was dealt.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm going to have a lot of work to do on the next list.

I love the Yelich trade but I just can't bring my self to do it yet.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Harrison is making me feel as though Santana or Brinson are more expendable than I previously thought.

The issue with Harrison is that he's at least a year or two away. Also, he's often struggled when he moved up the ladder in the minors (with the exception of this past year).

I like the guy a lot, but I won't be surprised if there are some growing pains.

Harrison didn't do it, but Yelich and Cain did! lol :laughing

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived