Brewer Fanatic

MLB Trade Rumors Top 50 FAs

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Let's say Lucroy approaches the Brewers and says I want to make amends for how I left and I want to come back. I am yours at 3 years $33 million. Do you do it?

I honestly can't say I saw Lucroy more than once or twice last year. Maybe others have. Perhaps there was a reason for his sudden falloff. It's not impossible for a guy like him to crash and burn in one year, but to go from a 4+WAR to a 1WAR guy in a year is pretty drastic.

I guess the team would really have to look at him - do a deep dive and understand what went wrong last year - and see if it's an anomaly or just a guy getting old. If he rebounds, you potentially have a near all-star level player for $11M - which is a nice bargain.

I'm with Adambr2 on this one. Lucroy will probably be worth $10-15M to someone, but I don't think it's a good use of our resources. We have some money to spend, but that goes away quickly when you start signing eight-figure deals.

I would rather use our free cash to shore up the bullpen, the starting rotation, and second base.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

How much does Avila get? He would be a nice option on a 2 year contract.

MLB Trade Rumors put him at 2-years/$16M. Same with Fangraphs crowdsourcing. Dave Cameron at Fangraphs puts him at 1-year/$6M.

I think Avila did enough to get a 2 year deal. I also think there are enough teams in the market for a part time or backup catcher that he'll get the 2 year deal. He's on the high end of the next tier right below lucroy.

“I'm not going to sit here and say we're going to compete for the playoffs this year," Lucroy said in a telephone interview Tuesday afternoon while running errands back home in Lafayette, La. "If I did that, you'd call me a liar. I'd lose credibility and respect.

"I want to win and I don't see us winning in the foreseeable future. I want to go to a World Series. That's what all players want. Rebuilding is not a lot of fun for any veteran guys.”

I can never get this quote out of my head when it comes to Lucroy. Did the team this year in spring training have this mindset? Yet we were competitive til the last game of the year. To me, Lucroy is always a “me first” type player, and wouldn’t want him back.

“I'm not going to sit here and say we're going to compete for the playoffs this year," Lucroy said in a telephone interview Tuesday afternoon while running errands back home in Lafayette, La. "If I did that, you'd call me a liar. I'd lose credibility and respect.

"I want to win and I don't see us winning in the foreseeable future. I want to go to a World Series. That's what all players want. Rebuilding is not a lot of fun for any veteran guys.”

I can never get this quote out of my head when it comes to Lucroy. Did the team this year in spring training have this mindset? Yet we were competitive til the last game of the year. To me, Lucroy is always a “me first” type player, and wouldn’t want him back.

Was any of what he said actually wrong? They were in the middle of a rebuild, and after playing for several years with competitive Brewer teams, I don't blame him for wanting to go someplace where he'd be in the middle of a pennant race. It just so happens that the rebuild has happened much quicker than expected in Milwaukee.

Lucroy showed nothing but class in his time as a Brewer, and his honesty and commitment to the team was never in question. I personally would love to see someone with his production and leadership back in the Brewer clubhouse, provided, of course, the deal is smart. I love Pina, but a platoon of Lucroy and Pina would put the team's catching situation in some very capable hands.

Was any of what he said actually wrong? They were in the middle of a rebuild, and after playing for several years with competitive Brewer teams, I don't blame him for wanting to go someplace where he'd be in the middle of a pennant race. It just so happens that the rebuild has happened much quicker than expected in Milwaukee.

Lucroy showed nothing but class in his time as a Brewer, and his honesty and commitment to the team was never in question. I personally would love to see someone with his production and leadership back in the Brewer clubhouse, provided, of course, the deal is smart. I love Pina, but a platoon of Lucroy and Pina would put the team's catching situation in some very capable hands.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/162325972/jonathan-lucroy-prefers-trade-to-winning-club/

Read the article and watch the video. Carlos Pena sums it up pretty well as to why teammates and fans were not pleased with his comments.

I'm not interested in a Lucroy reunion, but I really don't know what people honestly expect professional athletes to say sometimes when asked a direct question.

"I love Milwaukee, I hope I'm here forever." (Now he's a liar)

"No comment." (Now it's pretty obvious he wants out, he just doesn't want to say it.)

Or he can do what he did and answer the question honestly, he didn't trash the city or organization, he gave an honest answer to a direct question.

I guess the best way to answer probably would have been, "No one knows what the future holds, but right now I'm just focused on helping the Brewers win games."

But sometimes that's not what you think of on the spot.

He was a class act and probably the best catcher in franchise history and doesn't deserve to have his entire legacy tarnished for telling the world that he wants to win a World Series.

Any thoughts on Bryan Shaw to solidify the bullpen?

As a Tribe fan I can tell you many fans reached for the beverage of choice/ antacid when Shaw was coming into pitch.

He put a lot of innings/ pitches on that arm over the last few years so I would be very careful. Personally I believe he is an arm injury just waiting to happen & am happy his projected cost is high enough for the Tribe to let him go & pursue other options.

A simpler (& perhaps better option for the Crew) - drafting Wisconsin Stevens Point product JP Feyereisen (stats link https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=feyere000jp-) in the Rule 5 draft. Kinda of surprised the Yankees didn't add him to the roster but they had a bunch of guys to protect this time around.

JP is ready for the majors at this point so a year at the end of the pen would not hurt his development..

I would enjoy seeing the Tribe bringing JP back but they need roster flexibility as a number of other guys are out of options. Trying to handle a Rule 5 bullpen arm might be difficult in the case of the Tribe going into perhaps the last year of their contention window. Not as much of an issue for the Crew still sorting thru players/ working on the rebuild..

Archived