Brewer Fanatic

MLB Trade Rumors Top 50 FAs

I think we're going to move Hader to the rotation and sign two setup guys. I would be surprised if that doesn't happen.

We will probably add another starter. I keep bringing up Chatwood because we'd sign him through his prime. I'd stay away from signing a FA starter who is already on the other side of 30, and that's pretty much everyone not named Chatwood.

I would probably sign Walker to a two year deal, but not a three year deal.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just coming back to this thought. If Lucroy is really only 1 year and $12 million, the Brewers should jump on that. He would be another great bounce-back candidate for them to possibly flip again or if the Brewers are competing, another solid bat in the lineup. Even if he wanted a 2nd-year club option involved, I think it would be a good decision to do. He would provide a good bat in the later parts of our lineup. Something like:

1-Villar (hopefully back to 2016) or Sogard

2-Braun

3-Shaw

4-Santana

5-Thames

6-Lucroy

7-Phillips

8-Arcia

Pina is a very nice catcher but just not sure he's a 120 game catcher and Lucroy isn't anymore either. These two would make a nice backstop next season if the price is right.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Just coming back to this thought. If Lucroy is really only 1 year and $12 million, the Brewers should jump on that. He would be another great bounce-back candidate for them to possibly flip again or if the Brewers are competing, another solid bat in the lineup. Even if he wanted a 2nd-year club option involved, I think it would be a good decision to do. He would provide a good bat in the later parts of our lineup. Something like:

2-Braun

3-Shaw

4-Santana

5-Thames

6-Lucroy

7-Phillips

8-Arcia

Pina is a very nice catcher but just not sure he's a 120 game catcher and Lucroy isn't anymore either. These two would make a nice backstop next season if the price is right.

I wouldn't mind bringing Lucroy back either if he is relatively inexpensive. I love Pina, but I am not sold on any of Vogt, Bandy, Susac as backups moving forward. If Lucroy could be had for say a two year $20 million contract, I would gladly bring him back and let him catch 2/3 of the time.

2-Braun

3-Shaw

4-Santana

5-Thames

6-Lucroy

7-Phillips

8-Arcia

I wouldn't mind bringing Lucroy back either if he is relatively inexpensive. I love Pina, but I am not sold on any of Vogt, Bandy, Susac as backups moving forward. If Lucroy could be had for say a two year $20 million contract, I would gladly bring him back and let him catch 2/3 of the time.

As long as we give him a no trade clause, I'm good with it. :laughing Heck, maybe we can try to trade him for Mejia again.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think there's a bit of nostalgia with Lucroy here. 1/$12 would maybe be worth a "show me" deal since we have short-term $ to spend, but I'd much prefer to upgrade pitching and maybe 2B.

Going 2 years with Lucroy at that kind of money just isn't wise. He was 31 last year, which is generally where the slide happens for catchers if it hasn't already happened in their late 20s. He got a nice boost from Coors Field last year, but I'm not sure I'm willing to throw one of our few darts for improving the team at a catcher that could end up being worse than Pina/Vogt.

I think there's a bit of nostalgia with Lucroy here. 1/$12 would maybe be worth a "show me" deal since we have short-term $ to spend, but I'd much prefer to upgrade pitching and maybe 2B.

Going 2 years with Lucroy at that kind of money just isn't wise. He was 31 last year, which is generally where the slide happens for catchers if it hasn't already happened in their late 20s. He got a nice boost from Coors Field last year, but I'm not sure I'm willing to throw one of our few darts for improving the team at a catcher that could end up being worse than Pina/Vogt.

Nostalgia has nothing to do with it. At least for me. Vogt was fine a year ago as a bandaid but to me he’s done. He was so bad defensively. I’ll gladly pay $12 mil to Luc to secure that position for the upcoming season and it has zero to do with him being an ex Brewer.

$12M for a backup catcher? I realize we have money to burn but I think we can find more efficient ways of using it than that. Heck we could probably land both Swarzek and Neshek for about the same annual amount, maybe up to $15M.

I am not a big Vogt fan and his defensive issues were a problem but for the 50 or so starts he should be limited to I'd rather just pay him the $3-$4M or so and invest that extra money in the pen. Vogt at least was better to some degree after coming to Milwaukee. It should also be noted that he was never considered a poor defensive catcher until 2017 so its certainly possible that he improves back closer to his career norms next season.

With the way things ended, I can't imagine wanting Luc back would be due to nostalgia. Lucroy has been a very good offensive catcher every year minus the beggining of last year. Maybe I just want to have player in the lineup that doesn't strike out and has a good apporach at the plate, I don't know. I just think what he brings fits what the Brewers are missing offensively.

I agree there is some sentimentality here with Lucroy. However, I also do have some fear that the career minor leaguer Pina had a career year as a hitter last year and is replacement level as a hitter next season. Regardless, Pina's D will still absolutely play but if his hitting falls off to say .230, the catching position could be an black hole offensively with Bandy and Susac as backups.

I don't think Pina is a guy who had a fluke year so much as he is a guy who just never happened to get a shot until last year. His numbers were more or less in line with what he did in the minors, and a lot of experts thought he could be a pretty underrated rookie backstop last year, which he was.

Certainly his age will limit how many more effective years he can produce, but that could be somewhat mitigated by the lack of wear and tear on him.

I see no reason he can't continue to be very productive for at least 2-3 more seasons.

I think whoever this guy is who thinks lucroy is getting 1/12 is nuts. I would be surprised if he didn't get a 2-3 year deal around 10-12M per. Not for us. I'm not opposed to looking at a veteran backstop to pair with Pina that can start 2-3 games/week, I'm also not opposed to rolling out Bandy in that role again. Backup catcher should probably be a wait and see situation, see how the market plays out and if you can improve from Bandy at a minimal cost...you do it. There are a few guys available, I wouldn't be surprised if someone fell to us.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think whoever this guy is who thinks lucroy is getting 1/12 is nuts.

The author is betting that Lucroy takes a one year deal to try and rebuild his value - and then re-enter the market next off season in a better position. He could certainly get a multi-year deal - but just not at the price he thought he would be getting a year ago.

$12M for a backup catcher? I realize we have money to burn but I think we can find more efficient ways of using it than that. Heck we could probably land both Swarzek and Neshek for about the same annual amount, maybe up to $15M.

I am not a big Vogt fan and his defensive issues were a problem but for the 50 or so starts he should be limited to I'd rather just pay him the $3-$4M or so and invest that extra money in the pen. Vogt at least was better to some degree after coming to Milwaukee. It should also be noted that he was never considered a poor defensive catcher until 2017 so its certainly possible that he improves back closer to his career norms next season.

If you’re signing Lucroy, he’s your starter. Pina was a nice story but caught 100 games and really fell off last season. He really could be your #2 and a very good one at that. Also, spending $12m on a catcher wouldn’t stop you from spending $20m on the pen.

If you’re signing Lucroy, he’s your starter. Pina was a nice story but caught 100 games and really fell off last season. He really could be your #2 and a very good one at that. Also, spending $12m on a catcher wouldn’t stop you from spending $20m on the pen.

Not really. He had a .287/.328/.786 line in the first half and a .265/.325/.705 line in the second half. The only thing that really fell off was his power. If he produced that 2nd half line for all of next year that would be perfectly acceptable with his D.

12M alone won't stop us from spending on the pen, but eventually, you throw around $12M here and there, and sooner or later you're stretched all the way on budget space. Hypothetically if we spent $20M on pen upgrades, $12M on Walker, and traded for Abreu -- well, you're already pretty much tapped out at that point. And if you still have $12M to spend by then, I wouldn't want to spend it on a catcher that is older, coming off a worse year and costs 25 times as much as the one we have.

I think Bandy will bounce back to some extent next year as well.

Not really. He had a .287/.328/.786 line in the first half and a .265/.325/.705 line in the second half. The only thing that really fell off was his power. If he produced that 2nd half line for all of next year that would be perfectly acceptable with his D.

August: .221/.274/.382/.656

Sept./Oct: .257/.325/.286/.611

This is just flat out not getting it done. If Luc was out there for a 1year deal, even at $12M, he’s well worth the opportunity that he returns back closer to his all star form.

This is just flat out not getting it done. If Luc was out there for a 1year deal, even at $12M, he’s well worth the opportunity that he returns back closer to his all star form.

Shaw had a .698 OPS in August. Thames . 691. It happens.

For picking out the two worst months for a defense first catcher, those numbers aren't even really that bad.

There's no doubt Lucroy rebounded in the second half, but I'm always skeptical of guys who rebound big in Colorado.

There's a chance Lucroy could rebound to his All-star form. I hope he does. There's a chance that Vogt could, too.

I still remain unconvinced that a guy who may or may not even end up being an upgrade over Manny Pina is worth a 12M dollar investment with other needs that require more urgent attention.

Lucroy will very very likely return to Colorado.

Shaw had a .698 OPS in August. Thames . 691. It happens.

For picking out the two worst months for a defense first catcher, those numbers aren't even really that bad.

There's no doubt Lucroy rebounded in the second half, but I'm always skeptical of guys who rebound big in Colorado.

There's a chance Lucroy could rebound to his All-star form. I hope he does. There's a chance that Vogt could, too.

I still remain unconvinced that a guy who may or may not even end up being an upgrade over Manny Pina is worth a 12M dollar investment with other needs that require more urgent attention.

Lucroy will very very likely return to Colorado.

Colorado does have a stud Catcher who happened to get hurt and off to a slow start to his hype in Tom Murphy. So I'm not sure Colorado needs Lucroy that badly as it limits Murphy at starts. At the 1 year idea I guess it makes sense, but 2 or more and paying money for someone who blocks someone at minimum cost who just may be better. Maybe Murphy is on the shelf to start the season? That would lead even more to signing Lucroy, but if he's to be healthy to start the season, Lucroy doesn't make sense. I suppose you could sign Lucroy to a 3 year or even 4 year deal and move Murphy in a trade. Lucroy is sure to rake and it could be to a tune well above his year last year because it was such a down year for him. You can guess there was a timing/change in his swing seeing as his LD/GB/and FB percentages went higher in the GB category. He puts some lift in his swing and gets back to norm on LD/FB he'll be of great value. Spending an offseason watching tape, working on his swing, he was just to talented all these other years to say he can't return to his prior self/form.

If as someone posted above, Lucroy should just take the highest offer and years vs betting on himself for 1year were to turn true, I'd be a fan to sign him to 3/25-30 mil. And then make that trade idea on Pina. Especially in a Chris Archer thread that notion since they are bad at Catcher.

I think Colorado might be souring on Murphy a bit because he can't contact the ball. That said, they'll definitely give him a chance. We saw what Iannetta could do in that ballpark for a few years if he just made some contact.

Lucroy was still bad on the road after being dealt to Colorado, so I'm not sure they're high on him either, we'll see. Someone will bite on either a high-ish 1-year deal or a longer one.

I think whoever this guy is who thinks lucroy is getting 1/12 is nuts.

The author is betting that Lucroy takes a one year deal to try and rebuild his value - and then re-enter the market next off season in a better position. He could certainly get a multi-year deal - but just not at the price he thought he would be getting a year ago.

I can understand the thought process, but I just don't think he does it. Lucroy was signed to such a team friendly deal previously, his MLB earnings to date is roughly $16 million over 7 years. I personally think he's going to be more inclined to lock himself into a big extension now. He isn't going to touch the 5/80 that Martin/McCann got, but he will certainly get more than the 3/24 Jason Castro got last year. I would be surprised if he didn't see 3/30 type offers from multiple teams, with the winning bidder being the team that bumps him up to a 4/48 type deal.

Let's say Lucroy approaches the Brewers and says I want to make amends for how I left and I want to come back. I am yours at 3 years $33 million. Do you do it?

No way. I realize I'm advocating for other 30+ year-old players, but that one has a higher probability of being a complete dud. I may be overreacting to one bad year, but he had a few when he was in his 20s and catchers fall off fast.

Let's say Lucroy approaches the Brewers and says I want to make amends for how I left and I want to come back. I am yours at 3 years $33 million. Do you do it?

I would say 'No thanks, and there's nothing you need to make amends for.'

Archived