Brewer Fanatic

Tim Dillard back for his 16th season

reillymcshane

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Why?

My guess is as follows:

1. He knows he's not going to the majors. He's willing to pitch wherever they need and whenever they need - and a random arm at Colorado Springs isn't a bad thing to have. He can start, relieve, whatever. When the game's out of hand, he can soak up some innings. That sort of thing.

2. The club likes Dillard and sees a future for him beyond baseball (some speculate as an announcer). Perhaps he just likes playing and the club is willing to let him - knowing that down the road he'll be with the organization in some capacity.

3. Perhaps the club simply likes having a veteran player to talk to and mentor the younger kids.

Every team needs some degree of filler. Nobody has 25 guys for every affiliate with a potential major league future. Tim is a funny guy, and as noted above probably has a future with the organization beyond his playing days.

I wouldn't be surprised if Burgos hangs around in a similar fashion and ends up a pitching coach. He sure maximized results based on his abilities.

Yeah, I get that he is a nice guy and maybe the plan is to ask him to be involved with the Brewers at some point whether its radio, tv or social media. I just don't get why not try to find a diamond in the rough somewhere? Find some Indy ballplayer and give them the shot over having Dillard back for his 16th season. This just feels like charity to me.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yeah, I get that he is a nice guy and maybe the plan is to ask him to be involved with the Brewers at some point whether its radio, tv or social media. I just don't get why not try to find a diamond in the rough somewhere? Find some Indy ballplayer and give them the shot over having Dillard back for his 16th season. This just feels like charity to me.

Tim wasn't even active like half the season last year. I think he spent a good chunk of time on the Helena paper roster before the draft. He was pretty much only active when someone got hurt or there was roster shuffling so it's not like he's really taking a spot away from anyone.

Archived