Brewer Fanatic

How Do We Feel About Gilbert Lara At This Point?

sheetskout

I was so proud of the Brewers when they took the splurge and signed Lara to the most they'd every signed a Latin-American FA before.

People still holding out hope that this 20-year-old can produce or just a $3-million-plus-dollar waste?

I haven't run any numbers but I'm guessing that signing these 16 year old kids is even more of a crap shoot (no matter how high the signing bonus) than the actual amateur draft. With regard to Lara specifically, he is still young enough to turn it around but it's getting late in the game for him at this point. I guess I lean in the direction that he probably won't pan out but I wouldn't necessarily agree that that means they wasted the money on him. The Brewers need to be engaged in all talent streams. If the scouts really liked him (and by all accounts they were justified in that feeling) then I have no problem with them taking a big money shot every now and again.
but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

As a Timber Rattler season ticket holder, I got to see a lot of him in person this past season.....until he got called down. Very low energy. Looked completely lost at the plate. Tall, lanky guy with average glove, limited range at SS. Could be a better fit at 3B. Strong, slightly inaccurate arm.

However, I still believe he as age on his side. Still very young. Could still pan out.

Gilbert is kinda in the Demi-type prospect status for me. He has the tools, but has a ton of developmental time to go and really needs things to start clicking. The Brewers should have someone like Jimmy Nelson mentor this kid, someone with an incredibly work ethic that can hopefully rub off on him a bit. Everything I've read says low-energy and half-assing everything, unless you are an absolute premium talent/athlete...that simply won't work in this game at this level.

The Brewers should have someone like Jimmy Nelson mentor this kid, someone with an incredibly work ethic that can hopefully rub off on him a bit.

Too bad he doesn't speak a lick of English. You'd think that having signed so young, he would want to put in the effort to learn the language.

After seeing him all season in Appleton, I have no hopes for this kid at all. He was a constant disappointment. As zagski6 said earlier, he was completely lost at the plate, and was lazy in the field as well as running the bases. Looked like he just doesn't care.

Hard to believe anyone would waste an opportunity to play in the bigs, but that is what he seems to be doing.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Still have hope as he only turned 20 a couple of days ago but don't feel real good about him. Hasn't really shown much of anything at any level thus far and really needs a decent season at Wisconsin next year. Can't really speak of lack of effort as I only saw him play a few times and would classify more as overmatched versus laziness but either way he has to start producing.

I would say that if there is not a big leap in performance this year, then we might as well write it off as a loss.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

After seeing him all season in Appleton, I have no hopes for this kid at all. He was a constant disappointment. As zagski6 said earlier, he was completely lost at the plate, and was lazy in the field as well as running the bases. Looked like he just doesn't care.

Hard to believe anyone would waste an opportunity to play in the bigs, but that is what he seems to be doing.

I understand what you're saying, and yes I saw him play plenty of games in Grand Chute. That said, I always have a problem with the "looks like he doesn't care" comment about any player. Same thing was said about Hart, Domingo Santana, plenty of other guys. Players carry themselves differently, doesn't mean they don't care.

I think he was placed too aggressively, and that has hurt him a bit. I think he should have had a season at the DSL, then to Rookie-level ball, and just work him up slowly.

Can he turn it around? It's possible.

Am I banking on it? At this point... I can't be sure. There are other prospects who have eclipsed Lara, and who are producing. When he was signed, I had him at #2, but as the struggles continued...

I can't speak for his attitude or if he is overmatched. But the numbers just haven't been there. Arcia showed more in the minors at younger ages and at higher levels.

Now, he's injured.

At this point, if he recovers and goes on a hot streak, I'm not above seeing if he can be dealt, and salvage something from the bonus. It may be he needs a change of scenery.

Last minute List...Here we go

1 Brandon Woodruff-Excited about him. I see solid #2 forthcoming Innings eater

2 Corbin Burnes- Production needs to get recognized numbers are better than Woodruff's

3 Monte Harrison- This was the year he showed his athletic abilities translating in to baseball stud. Stud!

4 Lewis Brinson- The Ks are a concern. Highest Floor certainly, but not ceiling of current OFs.

5 Tristen Lutz- Great Pick, results promising ceiling

6 Keston Hiura- A lot to like with the bat, age puts him behind Lutz though.

7 Brett Phillips- An 80 arm and amazing to watch play in OF. Ks are a concern but he's great!

8 Luis Ortiz- Solid Arm waiting for just a little more

9 Freddy Peralta- I should probably had him above Ortiz, but this is solid regardless

10 Cody Ponce- The fact his BB rate is lower than expectations makes him one to watch!

11 Isan Diaz- Sigh, I dropped him from previous 1. Expected more

12 Lucas Erceg- 12?! Wow, and he's top 100 prospect worthy

13 Troy Stokes- I'm on board, choo choo! Producing with young age

14 Mario Feliciano- Solid bat, better defense and young!

15 Jacob Gatewood- Keep climbing! this year was a pleasure the Floor rose a lot from previous

16 Phil Bickford- I think production would happen, if he'd get Innings

17 Taylor Williams- This is a RP rank, Could turn in to a Hader/Kneble back end which is huge.

18 Caden Lemons- Potential here, Upper 90s at 6'6" that would be huge

19 Corey Ray- Disappointing is an understatement. Find me one bright side since his draft selection? Nearing extinction

20 Trent Clark- Yeah, I'm lower on him. You hope he gets there like Gatewood/Harrison next season

21 Marcos Diplan- Such a disappointing season previously a top 10 Control plus, just flew out the door to negative

22 KJ Harrison- Big bat Catcher so far

23 Josh Pennington- Velocity! For a throw in on Thornburg trade, much to like

24 Carlos Herrera- Some to like and some to dislike. Low BAA but Hi HR/9

25 Braden Webb- Like above, some to like and not like.

26 Jacob Nottingham- Ceiling has dwindled as does the ranking

27 Zack Brown- Actually produced better than Webb

28 Mauricio Dubon- No, I'm not kidding on this. I only see a Utility, not Starter

29 Adrian Houser

30 Jordan Yamamoto

31 Bubba Derby

32 Kodi Medeiros- Fallen a lot. Ceiling as SP has fallen and RP tag settling in

33 Trey Supak

34 Carlos Rodriguez

It is pretty amazing how deep this system is. You can probably take groups of 5 and list them in any order, after the 1st 5.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Last minute List...Here we go

1 Brandon Woodruff-Excited about him. I see solid #2 forthcoming Innings eater

2 Corbin Burnes- Production needs to get recognized numbers are better than Woodruff's

3 Monte Harrison- This was the year he showed his athletic abilities translating in to baseball stud. Stud!

4 Lewis Brinson- The Ks are a concern. Highest Floor certainly, but not ceiling of current OFs.

5 Tristen Lutz- Great Pick, results promising ceiling

6 Keston Hiura- A lot to like with the bat, age puts him behind Lutz though.

7 Brett Phillips- An 80 arm and amazing to watch play in OF. Ks are a concern but he's great!

8 Luis Ortiz- Solid Arm waiting for just a little more

9 Freddy Peralta- I should probably had him above Ortiz, but this is solid regardless

10 Cody Ponce- The fact his BB rate is lower than expectations makes him one to watch!

11 Isan Diaz- Sigh, I dropped him from previous 1. Expected more

12 Lucas Erceg- 12?! Wow, and he's top 100 prospect worthy

13 Troy Stokes- I'm on board, choo choo! Producing with young age

14 Mario Feliciano- Solid bat, better defense and young!

15 Jacob Gatewood- Keep climbing! this year was a pleasure the Floor rose a lot from previous

16 Phil Bickford- I think production would happen, if he'd get Innings

17 Taylor Williams- This is a RP rank, Could turn in to a Hader/Kneble back end which is huge.

18 Caden Lemons- Potential here, Upper 90s at 6'6" that would be huge

19 Corey Ray- Disappointing is an understatement. Find me one bright side since his draft selection? Nearing extinction

20 Trent Clark- Yeah, I'm lower on him. You hope he gets there like Gatewood/Harrison next season

21 Marcos Diplan- Such a disappointing season previously a top 10 Control plus, just flew out the door to negative

22 KJ Harrison- Big bat Catcher so far

23 Josh Pennington- Velocity! For a throw in on Thornburg trade, much to like

24 Carlos Herrera- Some to like and some to dislike. Low BAA but Hi HR/9

25 Braden Webb- Like above, some to like and not like.

26 Jacob Nottingham- Ceiling has dwindled as does the ranking

27 Zack Brown- Actually produced better than Webb

28 Mauricio Dubon- No, I'm not kidding on this. I only see a Utility, not Starter

29 Adrian Houser

30 Jordan Yamamoto

31 Bubba Derby

32 Kodi Medeiros- Fallen a lot. Ceiling as SP has fallen and RP tag settling in

33 Trey Supak

34 Carlos Rodriguez

It is pretty amazing how deep this system is. You can probably take groups of 5 and list them in any order, after the 1st 5.

I have incorporated this into the prospect poll. Thanks.

Archived